Author Topic: 6" Black Series Wave 1 (2013 Wave 1)  (Read 40727 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: 6" Black Series - 2013 Wave 1
« Reply #45 on: August 6, 2013, 05:02 PM »
Ugh...I've been looking for these endlessly.  Wasted hours yesterday going from Target to Target.  Was like the old days when I just couldn't wait to find something.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: August 6, 2013, 08:42 PM »
I'm interested to see the trooper in person.  I love how he comes with all the gear and stuff.  I am interested to take a look at him.

Luke looks dismal to me.  I'm surprised people are happy really...  I just can't see the headsculpt as looking good really.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 6, 2013, 10:13 PM »
Yeah, I got tired of the same sad whipsong too, looking for these with no luck. The first place I checked today had an aisle location but they were sold out, none in the stockroom. The next two places I checked had NA for aisle location but YES for stockroom, so I knew they were lurking back there somewhere.

So tonight I went back out to the Target near my house which hasn't even started to reset and just used the DPCI trick to have a fresh case pulled from the stockroom. It does indeed sound like these are 1 case per store initially, eesh. I grabbed the Sandtrooper and let them keep the rest. I guess I could have gone for them all but I really am still not sold on jumping all in on this line and $80 seems like a lot when you're still on the fence. I am sorta hopeful these will hit sales at some point this year too.

This is a line you would definitely have to open to fully appreciate, IMO. I had no qualms about ripping into Sandy because he's the litmus test for me. He's pretty kick ass. Not perfect, but it just feels like a great SW toy in your hands. I'm pretty sure I would have loved this as a kid.

I would say my main complaint is those awkward pin joints. Man, those things look ugly and seem unneccessary. I wish they had designed something different for the elbows and knees. It just feels like the extremities could be easily detached with a bit of force or strain over time.

And yeah, a stand would have been nice too. Good luck getting Sandy to stand upright with that huge ass backpack!

Overall I would say I'm pretty impressed but not so blown away that I'm ready to sign on totally. It would be nice to know how many figures we can expect per year, three or four waves seems like plenty. Any more than that would get unwieldy quickly.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 7, 2013, 11:35 PM »
So...I went to the Target near my office over lunch and they had just put the new stuff out. I caved and got Darth Maul because he looked pretty cool.

Then later this evening I returned the 2 Class II ships I had bought on clearance in exchange for a brand new X-Wing Luke.  ::)

Yep, I'm a degenerate.

It's only a matter of time before R2 makes his way back here and then I'm straight hooked.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 8, 2013, 12:11 AM »
Something looks... off about that R2. Like he's way too small for the scale. Can't quite put my finger on it.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 8, 2013, 08:52 AM »
Something looks... off about that R2. Like he's way too small for the scale. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Yes, R2 was the least enticing of the lot, IMHO. I definitely agree the scale is glaringly inaccurate. When you hold that thing in your hand it just seems dinky compared to the others. Astromechs should have been 2-packed.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 8, 2013, 09:18 AM »
My buddy, who is building a life-s-ze R2, says he thinks the dome is too short. Maybe that's it.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 8, 2013, 02:24 PM »
Snagged the R2 at Target today, but haven't seen him side by side with the other figures yet.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 8, 2013, 10:15 PM »
The big problem with finding this wave is that most stores, at least here locally, are only getting 1 case in, and each character ships 1 per case.  Nabbed a Sandtrooper today at Target.  I love the weathering on him, really nice.
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #54 on: August 9, 2013, 09:43 AM »
Saw my first 6" figure (Sandtrooper) in the wild at my local Target this morning. Damn is that a nice looking figure. Packaging was smashed to hell and back so I left it.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 9, 2013, 09:47 AM »
I just saw all four of these at my Target.  Got the Sandie since I feel he might be the hardest one to find later, but figured I'll pick up others during a sale/after a price drop.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 9, 2013, 03:25 PM »
Definitely some variances in quality, I returned my X-Wing Luke for a better copy because he had jacked up legs. There was an ugly gap between them and the torso that I confirmed was not on other figures.

Still content to wait on R2 for the time being I think.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 9, 2013, 09:02 PM »
Opened my set of these today, and I have to say I like them quite a bit.  Like others have said, these would feel like a pretty good deal at about $15.  $20 still seems a little high - they are great figures, but I don't see that they are higher quality than Marvel Legends at $15.  I'm pretty sure I'm hooked for the time being, at least on the OT figures.  The 3 3/4" stuff is still the bread and butter, and I hope it never goes away (collector styled or just in general), but these are pretty nice.

I think part of it is the excitement of looking forward to each character again, similar to when POTF2 began.  Now we can have that anticipation for Darth Vader, Han, Chewie, etc. and not think "wow, another Vader" like we sort of do with the 3 3/4" line.  As has been noted elsewhere, they're not perfect (and a little too high priced), but I look at this sort of a nice alternative for someone like me who admires the Sideshow line, but can't afford it.  Larger "collector" figures for someone on more of a budget.

I do think this line is going to be pretty popular though, just have a feeling.  Like I said, 3 3/4" is still the base of the SW line in my book, and always will be...but this offers a nice jumping in point for people new to Star Wars, or returning.  Plus the fact that it has been said they are shooting for no more than 16 figures a year (four waves of four I'm guessing), and that is about right for the release pace I think.  Anyways, I like them a lot.  I have Luke and R2 posed right next to our computer here, and they look pretty nice together.  Can't wait for Wave 2.

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2013, 02:24 AM »
I saw all four figures at Target last night.  I only bought the X-Wing Luke for now.  Darth Maul and The Sandtrooper were tempting. 

R2-D2 was a very easy pass.  Looks too small.  One of the legs was really warped in the package.  The paint was very bad and sloppy.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:25 AM by spiderpumpkin »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2013, 05:51 PM »
Sounds like Walmart will not be carrying these?

I guess I better pick up R2 next time I see him. Distribution could be pain with these, I am worrying now.