Author Topic: 2013 SDCC Exclusive 6" Fett w/Carbonite Block  (Read 45912 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 SDCC Exclusive 6" Fett w/Carbonite Block
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2013, 08:57 PM »
Man, I'd really like to get one of these, but I'm not holding out much hope.  It seems like it will be tough enough even if you're attending SDCC, let alone playing along at home.  I know Fett will be out later on, so that's great, but the Carbonite Han would really be nice.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2013, 09:03 PM »
This would be a great piece and it sucks that the exclusive game takes out many completionists or even those that are interested in this set.  Plus, this is essentially the first 6" figure(s) to be released, so how does that help generate interest.  That said, I do hope that Fett will be the Empire version when it's released later on and not the Jedi one (or that you can swap pieces to make him from either film).  I haven't seen any confirmation regarding that.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2013, 09:39 PM »
I'm thinking Hasbro really feels that, somehow, making things impossible to get for the majority makes a line overall more interesting...  They have dabbled in this for a long time now.

I think they may send out a Han Carbonite real soon too, as its own figure...  Like Han and the block.  I think they want people interested but they feel this is a way to blast out of the gate withs omething collectors love (Boba and Boba with his carbonite prize).  The job they did with this figure/set is really nice...  The slab floats and everything you could want aside from it lighting up so the controls are glowing. 

That said, I agree, I think this isn't a GOOD way to kick off the line by making its launch figure almost impossible to get.  I think they firmly believe scarcity breeds interest, and to a degree they're right, but I think that diminishes with the more mass produced a toy line is...

What I mean by that is, I think Hasbro toys are not well received by the masses when they're exclusionary to collectors.  When they include people, and are affordable and easy (or easier, at least) to obtain, I think their type of toys do better.  I think if you want exclusionary, you want to pay more, you want to buy GG or Sideshow...  You want high-end.

Hasbro wants to think they're "high end".  They're not.  They're mass produced.  They're thousands upon thousands, and sold at poorly lit mega-retailers.  Hasbro has a boner to become Sideshow.  Sideshow is Sideshow...  Let them do what they do best.  And do what you can do best, and that's mass-market toys at affordable prices that maybe aren't perfect, but are affordable, look like a value to kids, adults, and parents/grandparents, and which include everyone who wants to buy one, or at the very least the vast majority who want it know they can get it without paying through the nose.

Secondary market interest in toys, from what I've seen, is a bit of a false idol to worship.  Just my opinion.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2013, 10:38 PM »
Does anyone know if this exclusive is going to be available outside of the US?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2013, 11:26 PM »
Does anyone know if this exclusive is going to be available outside of the US?

Yes, at Celebration Europe II
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #95 on: July 20, 2013, 10:35 AM »
After getting to the con yesterday at 4AM ish to get in line for  a HAsbro ticket (6AM wasnt early enough Thursday), I got my Boba Fett at about 5 PM. Hasbro is by far the worst and most poorly run sales booth at the con. They have no line, despite having a ticket they were not letting people "in" although any adult "with a child" could buy stuff or if you were a really attractive female you could get in the line. Never thought that SDCC was a club in the city.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #96 on: July 20, 2013, 04:52 PM »
It sold out for the remainder of the con at 11am today. That's either a testament to its success or poor planning on Hasbro's part. Either way, next week exclusives dump on HTS will be interesting.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 20, 2013, 06:20 PM »
Holy hell, these are selling for $150 on ebay.  :-\

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 20, 2013, 06:36 PM »
I was at comic con yesterday. Hasbro makes you get a ticket to buy anything from their store. The tickets are always gone by 6am for some bazaar reason so I never got a ticket. I saw the figure up close in the glass cases. The figure really looks like a large version of the 300th Boba Fett edition. It just wasn't very impressive to see. I saw some of the vendors in the exhibit hall had multiples of these going for upwards of $120. They also had the entire line going for $40 each and the 3 3/4 versions going for $20.

They had Boba Fett guarding the figures.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:36 PM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 20, 2013, 08:43 PM »

Shoot, that's nothing, some jackhole is selling the Alien Super 7 Prototype 2-pack for $995 on eBay right now. These sold for $40 at SDCC!

I swear I just wish I could reach through the computer and slap people sometimes.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2013, 10:16 PM »
I would rather slap the people who decided it would be a good idea to sell exclusive merchandise at SDCC :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #101 on: July 21, 2013, 09:49 AM »

Shoot, that's nothing, some jackhole is selling the Alien Super 7 Prototype 2-pack for $995 on eBay right now. These sold for $40 at SDCC!

I swear I just wish I could reach through the computer and slap people sometimes.

I couldnt get my hand on the 2-pack either, apparently they made very few and were not expecting the reaction. I was speaking to the guys at the booth. They were really cool and gave me a set of stands for all 5 figures even though they were only supposed to give one per person.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 21, 2013, 10:29 PM »
Any assurance the Han in block might be released later?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: July 21, 2013, 10:55 PM »
At Toy Fair, Hasbro said that while Fett would be re-issued again, there were no plans to re-issue the block again:

from GalacticHunter's Facebook page:
"SDCC Exclusive will be Boba Fett with Han in Carbonite. Han in Carbonite will be exclusive to show. Fett will be general release figure"

Of course, never say never and all that.  It's not impossible that they'd do another Block someday.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 21, 2013, 11:42 PM »
It sold out for the remainder of the con at 11am today. That's either a testament to its success or poor planning on Hasbro's part. Either way, next week exclusives dump on HTS will be interesting.

Any clues on when these will go up on the site?  Can't wait for that experience all over again.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today