Author Topic: 2013 Saga Legends Basic Figures (Vader Cardback)  (Read 58218 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Saga Legends Basic Figures - Vader Cardback
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2013, 05:17 PM »
I've stated my hatred for these before but after seeing the pics, I might have changed my tune. I want some of those Clones and Battle Droids for army building purposes... I have enough posable ones, might as well grab some cheap neutral pose ones for "background" guys
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 01:25 AM »
Why when you can probably get cheap Clones on the secondary market for less than $5-$6 a pop?  Know what I mean?

Here's my take on this now that the dust has settled...

At $5-$6 each, I think the concept is fairly sound...  I think the sculpts aren't as nice as they could be at that price, and frankly look a little like smaller versions of the 12" figures they're cranking out... This actually jives with something we've heard 'round these parts recently, actually. ;)

The lowered articulation on the figures sucks only from the standpoint that they're really sub-par quality.  I don't need SA on everything, but better than that is possible even for $6 I think... at least waist joints and skirt pieces, but whatever really.  It is a kid's line and so I'm not bothered by it too much...  A cheap sub-line will help finance the collector line, just as LEgends/Clone Wars ultimately did for a while before, or Collection 1/2 have done in the past.  The sybiotic relationship continues I guess.

These aren't anything I'm likely to buy unless, and honestly I hope it doesn't happen at all, they somehow slipped all new secondary characters in that I wanted.  I doubt that occurs, as most of these I have a vastly superior version soemwhere in my collection already.  Why care right?  But I could see something sneaking in and making me cave...

And even then, at the price, I won't be too mad.  I'd be more annoyed that it's a figure I want, but it was executed poorly because I think some of those sculpts are so-so at best.

The only other reason I'd buy, some of them look like ok fodder, but $6 fodder isn't worth it these days.  These aren't for me, and I'm happy with what we have in the main line.  WIsh we'd see it come down to $8-$9 and cut back on EVERY figure being Super Articulated (yeah, that's ME of all people saying this).  Ditch ankle joints on anything but troops and "heroes".  Even SOME secondary troops could do without just sculpt the foot/ankle neutral (no walking pose ankles...  looking at you, Training Clone).  Ditch the more complex ball-jointed torso almost all together at this point...  It's great on some of the armored guys but really not needed anymore.

Either way, Legends hasn't really been my cup of tea since 2007 when I was almost all-in on it.  A grand time that was... not financially though, as those years were costly from actually wanting to throw my money at Hasbro for all the greatness they put out.

Now, Legends is just easily skipped but I hope it's good for kids because kids make our collecting lives easier and more fun ultimately.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2013, 08:26 AM »
Almost this entire line is a pass for me.  The only thing that looked semi-promising is the Yoda.  But I think that version is also included with the upcoming Republic Gunship exclusive.

The thing is.... I've been passing on Saga Legends or Movie Heroes or whatever else you want to call it for YEARS.  And I don't feel bad at all for continuing to do so.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2013, 12:26 PM »
Old Legends wasn't all bad. I bought the hell out of Snowtroopers and the good red Battle Droid 2-packs. If they'd made the VOTC stormtrooper available sooner, might have bought the hell out of him, too. Picked up some clones, too, now and then.

Since Hasbro is saying Black Line 3 3/4" will be all new, no reissues (I think they wrote themselves a check they cannot cash), where will we see figures we wanted to see again? Imperial Royal Guard? Are they gonna sculpt a new one from ground up? Or will a new head consitute "all new"? (Maybe they can put the old salt shaker in the new Legends line)

Quote from: Jesse James
The lowered articulation on the figures sucks only from the standpoint that they're really sub-par quality.  I don't need SA on everything, but better than that is possible even for $6 I think... at least waist joints and skirt pieces, but whatever really. 

I agree about waists. Disagree about skirt pieces. They want the jedi to be able to sit in the vehicles. Skirt pieces hinder that unless they are cloth, which, IIRC, we've been told is more expensive than plastic.

I'm not sure these are finished sculpts. I'd hope the figures have ball jointed necks. Though I can see why if they did not, since kids rip the heads off and lose them, then complain about it because kids are stupid.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:27 PM by Scockery »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2013, 03:47 PM »
I've heard Cloth isn't as bad as it used to be, but I'd have preferred it...  or highly flexible ones which theyv'e done but can't seem to do consistently.  The way they are, not attractive looking at all.

Some of the sculpts are decent, but I'd say, even with more articulation, the other line's have been vastly superior.  There's more of a layered and dimensional quality to the more complex figures.  These really remind me more of Kenner's, but to me Kenner's line is done and I don't really want anything like it save for some possible OT guys that didn't get a figure done at the time...  and that's a stretch for me to want those even.  I don't mix modern/Vintage well.

For my $, I'm happily passing on almost all Legends stuff and hope it just does well with kids for the line's sake.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2013, 07:17 PM »
I doubt I'll be collecting any of these, but to the extent they're appealing, it's due to their Kenneresque quality. You can't go wrong with that. I really enjoyed the 3 packs from last year that featured this style and I have to say I enjoyed them a lot. Articulation is only as needed for me. I don't need every Cantina alien tricked out for instance. Obviously we'll never see Cantina Alien #15 in this line, so that's moot.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2013, 11:01 AM »
Was it determined if the heads on these new figures are swivel or ball-socket type? I'm guessing swivel but it shouldn't matter either way from a manufacturing/cost perspective.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Look be to swivel. Odd, last years battle packs had ball joint heads. I can only think they don't kids ripping the heads off and losing them. The other reason would be to replicate retro Kenner, which is a stupid reason. Hey, if you are gonna go that retro, change the hole size in their feet to vintage 70's, too.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2013, 12:10 PM »
Like pretty much everyone else, a likely pass on the line from me too, but I understand why it is there.  Although the action figure age range seems to be shrinking anymore with kids, I do think it is important to have "toys" that are out there for kids - and at a much more affordable price.  I know allowance is higher these days most likely, but honestly, what kid could keep up with collecting a year of Star Wars figures these days (if they were available at retail even)?  I mean, I wasn't a kid that kept up in the vintage days either, but I'm sure are those that could with 10-20 figures a year at $3 a figure.  I like that there is a kid line out there, I'll be curious to see if it is successful or not.  Do kids care, and if they do, will they think these look like crap next to the Black Series stuff?

I do think the Kenner-esque quality of them is appealing, and if/when they start hitting some OT characters I might bend a bit.  I did pick up the Bespin BP last year, and really enjoyed those.  It is easier to appreciate something like this when you already have a SA, superior version at home :).  Like others have mentioned, I don't care if every figure is super articulated anyways.  If they upped the sculpts on these to the best they could do (if they have to leave out all this articulation) I might pay closer attention too.  Some of them looked kind of nifty.  I remember there was a segment of people at one time who wanted "vintage - real vintage - styled PT characters", so I guess this is sort of like that.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2013, 03:04 PM »
Jay, by my eyes those are old style swivels...  Jocasta has the same thing going on.  No clue why.  Believe it's more aesthetically appealing maybe?  That's the only thing I can go with for why they'd change it...

My only other thought is you can't pop the head off and lose it easily ala the ball joint.  I agree though, it's not a cost issue.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 12:09 AM »
Via another website.
The 411: The First Wave Of Hasbro's New Saga Collection
Beyond the figures we saw in their showroom at Toy Fair last month, early assortments of Hasbro's 2013 Saga Legends collection will also include figures based on The Clone Wars Captain Rex, The Empire Strikes Back Boba Fett, A New Hope Stormtrooper, The Empire Strikes Back Darth Vader, and The Clone Wars Darth Maul. Stay tuned for images and additional information on these new figures. Only a couple of Bothans died to bring us this information.

Bothans need to stop dying for a toy series that will never make them.  :(

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 09:38 AM »
So would CW Rex be the realistic TVC version show previously? I thought that had more than 5 POA?

Clone Wars Maul had better be spider-legs or the vested, Mando-legs version, because we certainly don't need another carbon copy of the single carded animated version.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 10:57 AM »

A Bothan was in a comic-pack.  ???

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 12:44 PM »

A Bothan was in a comic-pack.  ???

But what are the odds of them appearing in Saga Legends? Slim.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2013, 01:19 PM »
Case listings show 2 R4-P17 per case. Wow. More popular than Yoda or Hasbro self sabotage! After they accumulate on pegs...Hasbor says "WE WON'T MAKE ANY MORE OBSCURE DROIDS BECAUSE THIS ONE DIDN'T SELL."

Also, 2 shock troopers but one Phase 1 clone. Why does someone at Hasbro love Shockies so much?