Author Topic: Your Hopes/Fears for The Black Series 3.75" Figures?  (Read 9456 times)

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
Re: Your Hopes/Fears for The Black Series 3.75" Figures?
« Reply #15 on: February 3, 2013, 05:29 PM »
All I want is an interesting selection of never before done characters, and if they have to do a Luke, or Obi-Wan, just use the exact same one that has been released before, so there is no need to "collect" it, and it doesn't waste tooling money. 

I don't need pack ins, or droid pieces, or anything except for a weapon or two.

Yes, include realistic Clone Wars, and EU. 

Understand that the buyers for this line are the long-time fans who have many, many figures, and to keep them interested, offer an oddball, unpredictable figure selection.
Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: February 7, 2013, 10:51 AM »
...anything but the same old regurgitated crap like another Anakin, another Clone Trooper, another Obi-Wan. 
And if they're going for a true collector-focused line, and with the main characters being well-represented in the budget line for kids, don't sacrifice spaces in the Black Series to repack Obi-Wan and Anakin and X-Wing Luke for the millionth time.
All I want is an interesting selection of never before done characters, and if they have to do a Luke, or Obi-Wan, just use the exact same one that has been released before, so there is no need to "collect" it, and it doesn't waste tooling money. 

Without the kenner cardbacks to suck in the carded collecting guys, figure selection could be the thing that ultimately makes or breaks the Black Series 3.75" line for many, many people.

Take a look at the figures they had planned for the first two waves of Droid Factory - not much there that meets the desired "wow factor" you guys are talking about.  Pretty much everything there is the stuff that Force Guy described as "the same old regurgitated crap": Another Arena Padme, R2-D2, AotC Anakin, Vader, Sandtrooper, and at least THREE clones in the first 20 planned figures.

The only real "wow factor" NEW minor characters were the BADs themselves, figures like FA-4 and R5-X2, which we may not even be getting right away.  :(
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 7, 2013, 12:56 PM »
Without the kenner cardbacks to suck in the carded collecting guys, figure selection could be the thing that ultimately makes or breaks the Black Series 3.75" line for many, many people.

Take a look at the figures they had planned for the first two waves of Droid Factory - not much there that meets the desired "wow factor" you guys are talking about.  Pretty much everything there is the stuff that Force Guy described as "the same old regurgitated crap": Another Arena Padme, R2-D2, AotC Anakin, Vader, Sandtrooper, and at least THREE clones in the first 20 planned figures.

The only real "wow factor" NEW minor characters were the BADs themselves, figures like FA-4 and R5-X2, which we may not even be getting right away.  :(

Yeah... Hasbro definitely has to choose the lineup carefully. If they kick off the line with the AOTC-heavy wave it will be DOA. If they shuffle figures around and can't add any new sculpts, a mix like this might work for the first two waves:

Wave 1:
Bespin Vader
212th Clone Trooper
R2-D2
Sand Trooper (this guy actually sold VERY well in my area last year, and I was actually excited for the pauldron variant)
R5-X2
TC-70
Clone Pilot
Padme
Anakin
Geonosian Warrior
Pablo Jill
Biggs Darklighter

Wave 2:
Mara Jade
Captain Rex
Ceremony Luke Skywalker
Scout Trooper
Mace Windu
A-Wing Pilot
TIE Fighter Pilot
Clone Trooper Sgt.
R8-B7
FA-4
Battle Droid
Luminara Unduli

As bad as the "same old same old" stuff is to hardcore collectors, characters like Vader, R2-D2, Luke, and most clones still appear to be solid sellers. I don't see those guys being a problem out if they get released. I can see Rex and Mara Jade being extremely popular, and maybe Luminara, Mace, Pablo Jill, and the Scout Trooper as decent sellers... not too sure though about the Jedi as those released in TVC were hit & miss. The biggest problems with the Legacy/Build A Droid lineup are the AOTC characters, Pilots, and too an extent the Build-A-Droids themselves. I don't think there is any overall desire for AOTC characters and Pilots seem to have hit their saturation point. As for the droids, they might suffer from being too obscure and/or too expensive. Even with a mix like the one I suggested above it will be a hard sell, so hopefully Hasbro has some new figures planned to mix things up...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: February 7, 2013, 04:19 PM »
I tend not to go into any of it with expectations...  I think, even with solid wave mixes and figure diversity, it's a deep hole to climb out of that the Hasbro SW line is in right now.

I think if people could see the #'s on something like this, I think figures are ALL prone to pegwarming faster now than they ever were.  I'm seeing now where the Gammorean Guard isn't exactly the hot commodity he was.  It wasn't like he hit 5 Below heavily though, nor is that store even everywhere, but yet his figure that's in the case hitting TRU's now isn't always the first to go anymore.  He went from rare to "eh" kind of fast to me.  It's a microscope on the line for sure, but it says to me I think Hasbro's going to struggle out of the gate regardless.  I think it's just a deep hole they're in.

So I hold no grand expectations.  I'm going to buy what I like...  I'm certainly not going to buy a figure just for his cardback now (I did that with some vinty's though usually only on a good sale, like R5-D4).

For me, it'll be pick and choose, and I'm one of the guys still here that's a hardcore collector looking forward to whatever they decide to unveil this weekend.  Yeah that's actual optomism!  I seem to be the minority.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 7, 2013, 07:33 PM »
"the same old regurgitated crap": Another Arena Padme
I for one have been waiting for a good Area Padme since I first saw the leaked picture of the abomination that was the 2002 one.
« Last Edit: February 7, 2013, 07:34 PM by SnTrooper »

Offline speedermike

• Jedi Apprentice
  • He doesn't like you...
    • View Profile
    • MichaelRex.com
« Reply #20 on: February 8, 2013, 09:36 AM »
Jesse, I'm at a point where I will pick and choose and well.  And for many, many years, I bought EVERYTHING!

I think the big issue really is character choice.  I feel that I already have great sculpts of most characters.  That being said, I can think of dozens from the films that I would still like to see in plastic.  Many more if they folded Clone Wars realistic figures into the line.  Rako Hardeen?  Oh yeah!

I think I had said this before, but if Hasbro called it quits on the 3.75 today, I'd be happy. Looked at all together, the collection has to be the most intricate and detailed versions of a fictional world ever produced in toy form.  Nothing else comes close.

Children's Book Author and Illustrator   mikerexbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 8, 2013, 01:26 PM »
My hopes?  That Hasbro can find a balance in the 3.75" figure system to keep it both viable AND profitable.  So what does that mean?

Distribution that works. 
Working closer with the retailers to get figures, etc to stores in a timely and even fashion on a regular schedule.

Balanced Character Selection / Case Packs
We've seen what happens when some fan oriented figures come to market in too high of a quantity.  The fact is that I can STILL find a Yarna as well as a Willrow Hood on the pegs of a TRU store if I really wanted to.  Those figures are now going on 4 - 5 years old.  And this is clearly a case where short-packing is appropriate.  That 15th cantina alien probably needs to be put in this category, and probably needs to be short packed.

There's also a major fact that collectors need to get over:  core characters NEED to stay in the line with a higher degree of regularity than might suit our own sensibilities.  Sure, collectors may have some 30+ renditions of Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker, Yoda or Obi-Wan Kenobi.  But these are the characters that sell to parents & kids.  If we want the line to remain viable & profitable, these characters need to be readily available to the much larger market segment that is parents & their kids.

Aside from that, what am I hoping to see?

Continuing on with realistic versions of Clone Wars characters.  The rumblings are that the Clone Wars animated line is coming to a close.  So why not continue the trend of making realist versions of Clone Wars characters?  We already have three of those in Anakin, Obi-Wan and Ahsoka, plus another two scheduled in Mace Windu and Rex.  There are definitely some prime candidates for figures from seasons 4 and 5 that might sell reasonably well.  Darth Maul?  Death Watch?  Savage Opress?  Darth Sidious?

From the OT, there's still plenty of fertile ground.  I can think of a number of renditions of core characters that would be most welcome.  Throw in some of Jabba's goons, Imperials and Rebels and you've got some good 2nd & 3rd tier characters.  And with the PT?  TPM and it's characters need some time off after the TPM 3-D fiasco.  AOTC and ROTS still have some options in terms of character selection, but Hasbro needs to be incredibly selective.

Also, how about working in some more video game characters?  Figures from KOTOR and SWTOR have been pretty well received.  Again, they need to be done very selectively, but if Hasbro is going to keep up with the broadening Star Wars fan market which is very much about video games, they need to approach this market segment seriously.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 8, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Wave 1:
Bespin Vader
212th Clone Trooper
R2-D2
Sand Trooper (this guy actually sold VERY well in my area last year, and I was actually excited for the pauldron variant)
R5-X2
TC-70
Clone Pilot
Padme
Anakin
Geonosian Warrior
Pablo Jill
Biggs Darklighter

http://forum.starwars-figuren.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=406&whichpage=2
Darth Vader #6, so you got one right!

Padme, Anakin, Scout Trooper and Clone Sgt.?

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2013, 05:52 PM »

And thats why i decided to quit before the revealing of the 6 inch line. I was bored by what they had revealed and felt it was a good time to get out. I still do think it is and am done with the4 inch line, most importantly i am ok with it. I am going to pick up some of the OT 6 inch figures but just if i like it.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2013, 08:35 PM »
There'll be nothing new for months. Quitting isn't an option...it's a temporary reality for everyone!

Predictions this year:
Wave 1 and 2 are findable, but Hasbro underproduces...some fans are lefting wanting. Mara Jade skyrockets on ebay.

Wave 3 hits  just before Xmas and is never seen again.

Wave 4 is held off for an agonizing street date in spring 2014.

Legends abounds, but like previous legends, no new product (characters) for months. Pegs of R4's accumulate with Mace Windus beside them.

The online Vader Evolutions set becomes this years Pod Racers pack.

2012's Naboo fighters become part of some value pack exclusive, paired with an undesirable vehicle, at a big box retailer that requires paid membership.

2014: Hasbro cancels all vehicles that aren't exclusives.