Author Topic: Star Wars Movie Spin-Offs?  (Read 24564 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Star Wars Movie Spin-Offs?
« on: February 5, 2013, 08:25 AM »
In related news...

What's the first stand alone STAR WARS film to be made?

It looks like it could be a Yoda story.  Given the fact that Yoda was 900 years old, there seems to be plenty of ground that could be covered in exploring the diminutive Jedi Master.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
Re: Star Wars Movie Spin-Offs?
« Reply #1 on: February 5, 2013, 09:44 AM »
Maybe I'm in the inority here, but I really don't want stand alone movies that tell a characters background.  I fee we're walking in to a bit of trap with this one (wheres Ackbar when you need him?) 

Hollywood seems to be in this preqel kick, and I don't know where or why everyone is hangng thier hats onbackstories,but somewhere someone is going to figure out that it takes away from the suspense of the movie.  If we get any stand alones, I want it wth figures aht are developing the story, not retelling it.

I think you'll see all the hype for EP VII becasue we al wantto know whats going to happen AFTER ROTJ not before it.

I think this is why we all go to see SW prequels and LOTR prequels, bu come out wiht a half empt feeling... nomatter HOW god the films actuall are.

Suspese, anticipation, shock, wonder...all this, while not entirely being taenaway, is somewhat diminished, so you're setting the bar for the fans a little lower right from the start.

New stuff new stories, lets move frward not backwards.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline MistaBinks

• Youngling
  • Stand up to cancer.
    • View Profile
    • Y2Chaos
« Reply #2 on: February 5, 2013, 12:19 PM »
I am not against stand alone movies. I am quite for them actually. But if the recent arc on the CW showed us anything, there is a TON of excitement in SW where we don't know the endgame for the characters involved. Other than Palpatine, we didn't know what was to become of Maul, Savage, Vizla, etc. It was downright exciting. No matter how creative or well written the story is for a Yoda movie, we know he is going to live. I guess that is probably true in most movies though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: February 5, 2013, 03:39 PM »
I'd be into stand-alones...  People talked initially when the Disney buy-out came about that they might do these like the Avengers and do individual character's stories...  So a Yoda story?  I'm open to it.  I'd love a Jango or Boba Fett story that hashed them out as dramatically more complex characters than they were in the PT and OT...  Flawed heroes of sorts.  I'd be into that, because I like that aspect to both of them that the EU's played up a little.  Especially Jango's which I'm more familiar with thanks to his awesome game taht kind of led up to AOTC.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #4 on: February 5, 2013, 04:22 PM »
And Jango's Apartment

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: February 5, 2013, 04:33 PM »
I hear the theme to Joe's Apartment reworked for it.

I'd really like to see them get obscure, like go background on Lobot...  That might be one I have to buy on DVD though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 5, 2013, 04:35 PM »
Bossk's Bungalow... that could be a reality show.  What the Bounty Hunter does on his time off... might have to be on Skinemax though.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 5, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Star Wars Origins: Palpatine

The Jedi: First Class

Yoda: The First Jedi (that would be sort of a huge dump on well, everything...)

The Jedi Knight Rises (with Tom Hardy as Darth Bane.)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: February 5, 2013, 07:26 PM »
Bossk's Bungalow would be awesome...  I think HBO could pull it off.  It would have tons of sex in it, sure, but it could work.  Not much different to Rome, Deadwood, etc., in the gratuitous sex stuff.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 6, 2013, 12:29 AM »
Uggg, not even started the the flicks & Disney wants to...

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 6, 2013, 01:17 AM »
Personally, I think it's a terrible idea.  But hey, in the grand scheme of things, individual character spinoff films can't bastardize the original trilogy any worse than the prequels or animated Clone Wars series already did, right?  Leia's Adventures on Alderaan, coming to a theater near you.
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 6, 2013, 06:45 AM »
Spin-off movies? Meh... Just thinking about it makes me shudder... imagine a Luke Skywalker movie set in his teens (like they wanted to do in the live action movie) starring Justin Bieber as Young Luke. :-X I'd maybe see a movie based on bounty hunters but otherwise big pass.

Now, direct to DVD animated movies ala what they do with the DC Universe? I've said they should do this for years, and I'd be all over it. How cool would animated versions of the Thrawn Trilogy or Shadows of the Empire be, as long as they're done using the same standards DC has?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2013, 08:26 AM »
I think a bounty hunters movie could be great if they don't take it too seriously.  I could see this being something where Jabba puts out a bounty on someone and all the bounty hunters are competing against each other to see who can get him/her.  They would not only have to worry about finding who they are looking for, but also worrying about who's going to pop up next to sabotage them.  They could also set it before ANH so Greedo could be back!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2013, 02:12 PM »
From the EW story:

The Han Solo story would take place in the time period between Revenge of the Sith and the first Star Wars (now known as A New Hope), so although it’s possible Harrison Ford could appear as a framing device, the movie would require a new actor for the lead — one presumably much younger than even the 35-year-old Ford when he appeared in the 1977 original.

The Boba Fett film would take place either between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, or between Empire and Jedi, where the bounty hunter was last seen plunging unceremoniously into a sarlacc pit. Exactly who would play him isn’t much of a complication – in the original trilogy, he never took off his helmet. And in the prequels, we learned he was the son of the original stormtrooper clone, played by Temuera Morrison, who’s still the right age for the part if his services were required.

My Han Solo focus collection just groaned at the idea of having to collect an entire movie line worth of Han Solo figures - fast blasting Han Solo, Tech Armor Han Solo, Battle Damage Han Solo, Freeze Armor Han Solo, etc.   :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender