Author Topic: JediDefender Fantasy Baseball 2013  (Read 9287 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender Fantasy Baseball 2013
« Reply #15 on: June 5, 2013, 02:43 PM »
Well this might shuffle the deck quite a bit...

(CNN) -- Major League Baseball is set to suspend some 20 players in the coming weeks due to a scandal involving performance-enhancing drugs, according to an ESPN report.

The network says it is potentially the worst drug abuse case in the history of baseball.

The league declined to comment to CNN, but confirmed that an investigation is in the works.

Baseball's highest-paid player, New York Yankee Alex "A-Rod" Rodriguez, as well as Ryan Braun of the Milwaukee Brewers are among those facing suspension, ESPN said, citing unnamed sources.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 5, 2013, 11:57 PM »
Yeah, I thought about that when drafting and was wondering how smart a Braun pick would be.  Turns out it may have been pretty dumb, but I've been pretty scuttled by injuries this year already with my 2nd, 3rd (half a season), 4th (looking at about two months total), 7th (six weeks to start the season) and 15th rounders all spending time on the DL, some of it considerable.  Before dropping Cabrera tonight I had five guys on my roster on the DL.  So if I lose Braun, I lose contributions from my first four draft picks for various reasons for considerable periods of time.

All that whining aside I'd still like to see sports in general cleaned up.  Baseball and track & field are the dirtiest, to my knowledge but I'm sure there are many others.  At least baseball keeps trying.   
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 6, 2013, 10:47 AM »
I hear you... Bailey, Stanton, Grienke, Weaver, Henderson, and Cespedes have all spent time on the DL and Peavey will be there by the end of this week... I had 4 players hurt at the same time for awhile.  I just hope Miguel Cabrera isn't involved... it would explain a lot if he was.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 6, 2013, 08:38 PM »
I actually do hope Miguel Cabrera and Chris Davis met once a week to inject each other with steroids.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 6, 2013, 08:49 PM »
We've all been jacked by injuries. Depth has played a role. And late round value picks/free agent pickups has been huge this season.  My team actually has gotten better with Bryce Harper, Price, Crawford and Utley out.  That defies all convention.

Here's another nugget. I have been playing fantasy baseball since age 12.  Before the web. Drafts in our living rooms. Stats tabulated by hand with sunday's USA today.  Stud hitters then were 30 HR guys. There were very few injuries!  My theory: as steroids came into the game, when Sammy Sosa, Brady Anderson, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds and Luis Gonzalez went nuts, the muscles got too big and put more strain on tendons and ligaments than is intended.  Therefore more injuries.  At first, everyone was saying the ball was juiced.  That it was more tightly wound in the guts. But now we know better.

About Braun, he tested positive last year.  He attacked an innocent man and claimed sample tampering and skated on a bull**** technicality.  MLB is out to nail him this time.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 6, 2013, 11:23 PM »

About Braun, he tested positive last year.  He attacked an innocent man and claimed sample tampering and skated on a bull**** technicality.  MLB is out to nail him this time.

No question he's guilty but I find when I let emotion affect my picks, it usually doesn't work out too well.  So I opted for him on the chance they wouldn't nail him until most of the way through the season or after it was over.  Nope, it appears not. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 7, 2013, 10:14 AM »
I actually do hope Miguel Cabrera and Chris Davis met once a week to inject each other with steroids.

With Paul Goldschmidt as their dealer no doubt.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 7, 2013, 04:16 PM »

With Paul Goldschmidt as their dealer no doubt.

Well, Goldschmidt supplied Adam Jones and Yoenis Cespedes, who then dealt it to Davis and Cabrera for profit.  Adrian Beltre was a mule.

Which is great.  Because if your offense weren't such a huge pain in my ass, my lead would probably be 20 instead of 10, and this thing would be about over already.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 7, 2013, 08:27 PM »
Which is great.  Because if your offense weren't such a huge pain in my ass, my lead would probably be 20 instead of 10, and this thing would be about over already.

Yeah, they're keeping me afloat.  They've been so good that I'm sort of expecting two or three of them to be involved in the steroid business.

My pitching has TANKED over the last week or two.  I can't seem to get a guy to finish 6 innings with an ERA less than 7.00.

And when I do (Greinke) he's on my bench.  Ever since inter-league started, I've had trouble.

Surely I don't have any pitchers on roids.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 8, 2013, 06:56 AM »

Surely I don't have any pitchers on roids.

I heard Clemens is working his way back.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 06:41 PM »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 08:02 PM »
And no appeal. Guilty as hell.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 08:31 PM »
Twitter had fun with this today.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2013, 08:59 PM »
And no appeal. Guilty as hell.

I though the headlines from the other day were that MLB was going to wait until the start of next season to hand down these suspensions.  Do we know if the other 19-ish guys are going to go soon or if they just wanted to stick it to Braun after how it shook out last time?

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 11:28 PM »
Awesome, not only have I lost Pujols for what seems to be the rest of the season, Molina is now on the DL for at least the next two weeks and possibly more.  Not looking too promising for me to stay in second/third down the stretch.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!