Author Topic: Amazon Vintage Slave I w/Carbonite Block  (Read 39635 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Amazon Vintage Slave I w/Carbonite Block
« Reply #105 on: August 15, 2013, 10:25 PM »
The spring thing sucks about as much ass if not more than the whole packaging debacle.  I should NOT have to fix toys.  Same goes for the AT-ST and the AT-TE before

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #106 on: August 15, 2013, 11:12 PM »
The AT-ST's been plagued...  I'd rather have it than not, but it really was plagued.

The AT-TE, at least they remedied that themselves...  To fix the AT-ST they'd have to have sent you a whole new leg mechanism from the body down to truly make it "perfect".

The spring on the Slave-I at least sounds easy enough to fix and it's pretty permanent...  Still, how do you F up the type of spring you need before these leave a factory ya know?  The gauge should be something simple for a manufacturer to know "We need ____ Gauge in these for them to work!"

QC out of these Chinese facilities is pathetic, yet the rising costs in China are the go-to blame on costs on products.  Time to look into other countries I think.  These are the same factories that would screw up head variations and the like, basically ruining those as a viable way to sell more of a figure.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2013, 11:32 AM »
I actually replaced the spring, but the wings were too wobbly, so I put the original spring back in. It's pretty easy to get it to click in place, and it stays in flight mode much better. Maybe I was just lucky with mine.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2013, 07:59 AM »
Mine should arrive today while I am traveling. I did get an email from Amazon stating that I'm welcome to order a replacement should it arrive unboxed.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2013, 09:17 AM »
Mine arrived in a white mailer box. Everything looks great.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2013, 12:41 PM »
This is down to $66.83 on Amazon (HUGE savings, I know :P) and I had a $5 off coupon, so I pulled the trigger. Still a bit pricey, but I wanted to add Boba's ride to my collection sooner rather than later. I'm holding off on the TIE Interceptor (also slightly reduced price) for the time being.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2013, 03:03 PM »
So I had a chance to open up my Slave I last night.  On the topic of the spring...

I know the Clone Wars version had a gravity led action feature on the wings, but to me, with the sturdier spring, it looks like they were trying to undo the action feature for the collector release. 

The wings on my Slave I were clearly designed to 'click' into place.  When I twist the wings into 'flight mode' on my Slave I, they snap into place and stay there (for display on a wall).  If I click the wings the other way to release them, the spring returns them to 'landing mode' and holds them there (for display on a table).

Maybe it's the Hasbro-defender in me, but I'm going to see the sturdier spring as an effort to remove a kiddie action feature so it displays nicer.   :P

(I have no defense for the ****** legs on the Kmart AT-ST though  :-\)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2013, 03:05 PM »
I think the ****** legs are due to the ****** design at the hip and worrying a ring inside will crack and break under pressure...  So simple fix is to just use cheaper plastic, which can't bear the weight at the joints of the vehicle which is quite top-heavy.

I think Hasbro was in a lose-lose short of a redesign.  :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2013, 09:18 AM »
Interesting about the wings snagging into place. I've been unable to get mine to do so. Seemed like I was going to break it. I'll have to try it again when I get home.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2013, 02:22 PM »
Interesting about the wings snagging into place. I've been unable to get mine to do so. Seemed like I was going to break it. I'll have to try it again when I get home.

The trick is you have to rotate both at the same time.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2013, 05:41 PM »
Haven't posted here since I can't remember when...  No loss of interest in Star Wars or the toys, just not that much exciting until the past few weeks ;)

I got a Slave I myself, which arrived in the white shipping sleeve.  Corners on the box were dinged a bit, but as I typically open my items, it wasn't a big issue.  The ship and all parts were there on mine - no sign the actual box had been opened or tampered with.  I noticed the issues with the wing-spring right away.  I found that by disengaging the strut on one of the wings and turning the part with a little force, it snapped into the flight mode and held there.  Its not really anything to cause me too much worry...

I was a bit disappointed by the Han Solo in Carbonite figure, which was just a hollow shell - I wanted something more solid that at least had some weight and would make a "plunk" if I stood it upright and tipped it over.

Still, I am very happy Hasbro made the ESB version of Slave I using the large-scale tooling.  Its a classic ship and was well over due.  It saved me from having to eventually repaint my Clone Wars version, which was the initial reason why I got that.  Now my Boba Fett figure has his ship 8)     
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2013, 11:43 PM »
Tman,

Can you measure your Slave-I's height, width, and length for me?  I'm curious on something.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2013, 12:45 PM »
Got my two Slave-Is yesterday - both arrived shipped in the white mailer box, both in pretty good shape except one of them had a ding on one of the corners - so that's the one I opened.

Pretty disappointed that the Han in Carbonite block isn't new or built on the Jar Jar Carbonite block mold...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2013, 09:29 AM »

The trick is you have to rotate both at the same time.

Got it. Lot of work for what should be an easy thing.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 24, 2013, 12:22 PM »
So, this happened:

Amazon has pulled Slave I.  It's available as an Amazon marketplace item (from independent sellers on Amazon), but Amazon's own Slave I stock is on hold with the following note:

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

And here I had been trying to space out my purchases, waiting for the TVC Slave I to go on sale (perhaps like the TIE Interceptor), only to have THIS happen.  WTF?!?!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback