Author Topic: Amazon Vintage Slave I w/Carbonite Block  (Read 39642 times)

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Amazon Vintage Slave I w/Carbonite Block
« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2013, 09:36 AM »
Couldn't resist at that price.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 17, 2013, 10:59 AM »
That is insane.  I felt pretty good about this thing at $69.99... $34.99 is a no-brainer.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2013, 07:21 PM »
Ya know, I'd love to see the numbers on this...  How many sold at full price?  How good/bad was the discounting of this?

In general the knee-jerk is that discounts = bad, but that's not necessarily true...  Hasbro's claimed, in the past, things did well that were found at stores like TJ Maxx/Marshal's or elsewhere (AT-TE, for instance).

But there's a lot of complex accounting involved here...  total number produced, what they're discounted for, what Hasbro was able to sell to mainstream retail and what they had to unload to secondary, profit margins, and so on.

Now, we see something the collecting world had a boner for since the AOTC set got leaked.  The day that thing showed up, the immediate thought, and speculation, was that it would get a repaint for ESB colors, and fans were giddy...  A big sculpt of a "fanboy" iconic ship.  Something beloved by collectors for sure, and kids too I'd wager, but definitely the adult market is squarely targeted.

Then it shows up...  And right away the price is "too much".  This is from the crowd that messed its pants at just the THOUGHT of it being repainted a short time before because it had a Carbonite slab hideaway spot.  Now though, it's too much...

And don't get me wrong, I agree it was too much, but that's to me...  Someone not that into it for my own personal reasons.  I'm not the guy that is the litmus test for something that should, even at an inflated price, have support from the collecting core that supposedly keeps the hobby afloat in the lean times.

I'm not saying I know something you don't know here.  I'm just saying the evidence, to me, indicates Hasbro CANNOT count on collector dollars like people wish they could.  Maybe they're ecstatic at Amazon with how it did?  I don't know, and nobody really knows, but that saw a pretty damn steep discount...  And it's one of those things I'm shocked saw any this year, given the hype and supposed demand floating about.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2013, 06:57 PM »
I think again, it all comes down to value. The AOTC Slave I came in a set with what, a Jedi Starfighter and 3-4 figures? All for $100. For the same price, the Amazon ship was just the ship in fancy retro packaging. It just reeked of greed, and should have been $70 to begin with, heck maybe even a few dollars lower. Or throw in a Boba Fett, a Stormtrooper, Bespin Guard... make it feel like we're getting more than just a repainted ship for $100, ya know?
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2013, 10:59 PM »
I don't necessarily disagree with that sentiment, however the prevailing thought of, "If you build it, they will come", shouldn't then require enticements like a pack-in or whatnot...  That's all I'm thinking here.

To me, was it pricey?  Sure.  Was it something people spazzed about from day 1?  Absolutely...  From that first glimpse of the new sculpt people wanted this.  Lots of the grandiose "I'll pay anything for a BMF Slave-I" talk as I recall...  It didn't pan out.  I think it just proves that collectors can't, nor should try to run this line, because it won't work.

I don't know if it's a fair value or not...  Don't know how many were made, what Amazon paid per unit, margins, etc.  So I'm not so sure $70 was unfair.  I know TRU bought a LOT of that original set...  Did Amazon buy as many of this?  That type of stuff is a major factor in how fair a price that ultimately was, but it's tough to say. 

I personally felt it looked like too much, but I don't know.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2013, 04:39 AM »
Got my Slave I on Christmas Eve, and opened it along with my other presents on Christmas Day. This thing is AWESOME. Worth $100? No. $70? You betcha, and I really feel like a thief after getting it for $35.

Literally my only complaints are:

- The wings are a bit rubbery and don't stay fully rotated in "flight mode"
- Carbonite Han is a reeeeeeally tight fit in the "Cargo Hold," to the point where I'll probably never put it in there again
- Lack of a handle for play. The AOTC Jango Slave had one, and it would have been cool here, but no biggie.
- Lack of a pack-in figure. I would have taken that 5 POA Battle Pack Boba, the new one, TVC Boba... any sort of Boba. Again, this kind of goes back to that value thing. You can't have a Slave I without the Fett man!

All really minor complaints when you look at the big picture though. I love the rotating cockpit feature that they took from the LEGO versions of the ship, and the thing is HUGE. Practically doubles as a base/hideout. Can't wait to fly this thing around with the BMF.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2013, 09:25 PM »
I agree with Diddy on all points regarding the ship. I also got mine on Christmas eve and opened it Christmas day. It's a huge ship and a big improvement over the last one. I also wish the wings wound stay in flight mode when held vertically like the original vintage version did. A handle would have made this a lot more play friendly. Anyway, great ship and I'm glad I got it for $35.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 6, 2014, 08:41 AM »
I'm actually interested in buying this.