Author Topic: Amazon Vintage Slave I w/Carbonite Block  (Read 39643 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Amazon Vintage Slave I w/Carbonite Block
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Check out how Amazon is handling the shipment of some orders. I think I've seen 30yr old Vintage Kenner boxes in better shape.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 04:19 PM by Jayson »
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2013, 04:25 PM »
Check out how Amazon is handling the shipment of some orders. I think I've seen 30yr old Vintage Kenner boxes in better shape.

Mine came in a Hasbro-branded white mailer box, I'll be posting it in a bit.  Mine's basically mint and it came from the Kentucky DC if that makes a difference.

Here's the problem with mine - either I'm a moron, or the wing mechanism is faulty.  Or both, I won't discount it.  The wings will not rotate but the cockpit will - the wings just bounce back into the "landing" position on mine. 

My 2010 Jango Clone Wars Rise of Boba Fett TRU one works fine, though, so I know it's not an assembly issue on my part but it feels internally, something's amiss.  What are you guys finding?
--AP
16bit.com - Webmaster, Editor, Contributor
Entertaiment Earth - Marketing, Merchandising, Podcast
Galactichunter.com - Q&A, Figure of the Day, News

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2013, 04:31 PM »

WTH?!  Mine's going back if it arrives anything like that. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2013, 04:33 PM »

Mine came in a Hasbro-branded white mailer box, I'll be posting it in a bit.  Mine's basically mint and it came from the Kentucky DC if that makes a difference.

Here's the problem with mine - either I'm a moron, or the wing mechanism is faulty.  Or both, I won't discount it.  The wings will not rotate but the cockpit will - the wings just bounce back into the "landing" position on mine. 

My 2010 Jango Clone Wars Rise of Boba Fett TRU one works fine, though, so I know it's not an assembly issue on my part but it feels internally, something's amiss.  What are you guys finding?

So the wings were self-leveling? My 2010 version doesn't do that then.

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2013, 04:47 PM »
So the wings were self-leveling? My 2010 version doesn't do that then.

No - on my 2010 one, if you rotate the wings and the ship, they stay in position and the seats stay in flight mode while oriented as such.  On my 2013 one, if you rotate the wings, the seats rotate but the wings won't move - the mechanism pushes them back to landing mode.
--AP

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2013, 05:30 PM »

Wow. Just, wow.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2013, 05:36 PM »
Yeesh...I'm going to pissed if that's how mine arrives.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2013, 08:35 PM »
For the curious, the wing problem:

The wings won't stay in position for "flight" mode because Hasbro used a spring that is too strong and too thick.  If you swap it with the 2010 version, it works fine.

Also, I have no idea where to get a good tiny spring. Mechanical pencil? Pens?  I'm going to gut some stuff and see what I can get.
--AP

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2013, 09:31 PM »
For the curious, the wing problem:

The wings won't stay in position for "flight" mode because Hasbro used a spring that is too strong and too thick.  If you swap it with the 2010 version, it works fine.

Also, I have no idea where to get a good tiny spring. Mechanical pencil? Pens?  I'm going to gut some stuff and see what I can get.

Toy surgery. Fun times.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2013, 09:44 PM »
Show a pic of the spring Adam and/or anyone else curious... I'll see what I may be able to match to it.

If you're looking for cheap spring assortments though, hit up Harbor Freight and buy a $5 spring assortment set.  Give that a whirl, or a $1 bag of clicky pens at dollar tree if you just want to try a pen spring and don't have one handy.  I keep a bag of them for anything I may need in customizing...  I'm not buying this ship to try a fix for anyone though.  :-\

If you snap a pic, snap it with like a dime behind it for size purposes...

Try that spring kit at Harbor Freight if you have one nearby.  That's probably best bet to find a replacement.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Adam_Pawlus

• Jedi Initiate
  • I hate baseball
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Because I am nothing if not cheap, I stole a spring out of a springy click pen and cut that down to fit.  I'll post a few shots on my/Mike's/whatever site later today or tomorrow to show the area that needs to be tweaked.  A cheapo spring (from a HasbroToyShop.com click pen, no less) did the trick for me.

What went wrong?

The spring of the 2013 model is too thick and has no give.  The 2010 spring is comically thin and wiry to the point where it looks like it's too flimsy - but it works!  If you swap springs, it'll work fine (well, the one with the 2010 spring will work.)   The 2013 spring renders the mechanism inoperable in flight mode.   

If you put the springs side-by-side it looks like the 2013 one is a higher quality piece, which it probably is, but it doesn't get the job done.

If this at all sounds complicated, I would like to point out that most people can confirm my technical ability is somewhere around "affable dumbass" and I really don't have a clue what I'm doing... and *I* fixed it.   So you guys should have no problems.
--AP

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2013, 09:49 AM »
I still don't get what you're saying about the flight mode.  Would be great to see the '10 and '13 models side by side to illustrate the problem you had with the springs and the wings not staying where you want them.  May be a moot point for me - I'm returning mine if it gets shipped with a destroyed box. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Mine was apparently delivered earlier this morning (I am at work and won't be able to check until I get home) and was left on the front porch.  I'm expecting either:

1-No shipping box, no white mailer box, no box period, as someone will have driven by, seen a Star Wars toy sitting on a porch unattended, and immediately stole it

2-No shipping box, white mailer box, completely crushed and/or waterlogged due to the thunderstorms rolling through my area today

In other words, one way or another, I'm going to be making a call to Amazon Customer Service tonight, unfortunately.  Not a good start to the fall exclusive season.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2013, 06:07 PM »
So I got home to find the Slave I box sitting on my front porch, shipping labels on it, handwritten UPS numbers written on it, and one end flap hanging completely open. I immediately called Amazon Customer Service and explained how disheartening this situation was, and she said she could either give me an expedited refund or a discount if I wanted to keep the item. As I hadn't inspected the toy itself, given my disgust with the packaging, I asked if I could call back later, and she offered to call me back instead.

Upon inspecting the already damaged and opened box, I found several pieces of the ship (including the passenger seats and boarding ramp) simply laying broken, loose and unsecured in the box. I immediately slid the inner cardboard back into the outer box, and resigned myself to a refund.

This is simply unacceptable, and I made that clear to Amazon. I certainly hope that others do, too. In all my years of ordering from Amazon, this is the first time I've ever had an item arrive without even being packed in any shipping material and, even worse, it has driven yet another nail in my figurative Hasbro coffin. While I'm glad to be getting a refund, I'm still tremendously disappointed. Amazon should know better. Period.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2013, 06:22 PM »
That sucks completely. I hope they work it out with you.