Author Topic: Toy R Us Vintage Republic Gunship  (Read 21208 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Toy R Us Vintage Republic Gunship
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 12:36 PM »
It's supposed to be Yoda's Gunship from Attack Of The Clones.

Thank you!

This will be a pass for me as well...the others I have are still serviceable.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 11:21 PM »
The price will be the determining factor for a lot of people I think, but unfortunately (like someone mentioned earlier) Gunship prices have SKYROCKETED. I remember the AOTC ones being $30 and saw the ROTS one the weekend the movie came out for the same price, then those just vanished and went for CRAZY prices on the secondary market. Hasbro noticed and upped the price on the next few releases. Wasn't there an animated Clone Wars version that retailed for like $75 or something crazy?

Sad thing is I could easily see this one hitting $100 due to the "added value" of the orb turrets and the crappy figures.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 09:54 AM »
Wasn't there an animated Clone Wars version that retailed for like $75 or something crazy?

Yeah - TRU had the "Crumb Bomber" Gunship for like $70-80 (2009), but Walmart's "Lucky Lekku" Gunship was just $50 (2008).  Both of those were the Clone Wars gunship with the larger, fully closing doors). 

Because it's TRU and their last gunship was $70-80, I'm thinking those people guessing this set ends up in the $100 range are probably pretty close.  At least with TRU, you know there will be sales.  Pretty much all of their big exclusives over the last few years (Trench Run, CW Slave I, etc) have had 20-30% off sales and other promos.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 11:07 AM »
I will get it because it'll pack in some figures I won't have to buy otherwise.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 08:14 PM »
Yeah - TRU had the "Crumb Bomber" Gunship for like $70-80 (2009), but Walmart's "Lucky Lekku" Gunship was just $50 (2008).  Both of those were the Clone Wars gunship with the larger, fully closing doors). 

No, only the crumb bomber had the space door mods (and the top hidden flip out rotating missile launchers, which will be on this new release). The Lucky Lekku's box art showed fully closed doors, but the actual toy photos and toy itself were the original version.

Offline darth broem 2

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2013, 10:28 AM »
Well yeah if it's going to be $100 then they can keep it until they drop the price in half eventually  ::)

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 01:32 PM »
Even using the last price point for the ship and one figure, when you add in a 20 dollar turret set and 3 more figures, they are going to ask for at LEAST 100 bucks for this. It does not mean any of us have to buy them though.

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 04:25 AM »
Don't be surprised if these hit the shelves at $149.99 or more, I can easily see that happening.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 03:18 PM »
Yeah I can too actually.  Maybe not THAT much, but I think $120 isn't out of the realm of possibility.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 04:19 PM »
Isn't the TRU exclusive GI Joe Tomahawk supposed to retail for $39.99?  Based on that, I would think that this thing should stay under $100.00... but who knows.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 06:05 PM »
Hasbro owns GI JOE, no licensing fee to Lucasfilm. Not sure how the film factors in this time, though the copter isn't in the movie and won't be in movie packaging, IIRC.

The gunship was $40 in 2002, $30 in 2005, by the last version it was $80...I mean if figures were like that we'd be...paying....$10....per...figure...now.  :(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 07:49 PM »
Not sure either if the Tomahawk's totally new...  Sure had a lot of similarities to the original but I didn't really hear anything otherwise.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2013, 06:25 AM »
Yeah I can too actually.  Maybe not THAT much, but I think $120 isn't out of the realm of possibility.

When I saw that MTT hit my TRU shelves last October for $208.99, I vowed to never be surprised by TRU's pricing ever again.  The manager explained to me that they are a "test store," at least the branch closest to my house in Orange County NY, corporate checks sales on these items in the test store and if they are selling well at the, um, enhanced price point, then the price becomes standard in most stores.

Good news is they typically collect dust and the price comes down. 

So TRU wanted $209 for their MTT when it debuted, I waited, and got it for like $70 or whatever on Amazon.

The Gunship is different because it's an exclusive though I think.  But I don't even really want another Gunship unless it gets resculpted.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 12:27 PM »
A packaged image of the TVC / TRU exclusive Gunship is up at http://www.forum.starwars-figuren.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=523
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 05:28 PM »
$150...my prediction.

Box is cool.

I was off by $30, it's tag says $120.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:44 PM by Scockery »