Author Topic: Kenner "Special Action Figure Set" 3-Packs  (Read 75662 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Kenner "Special Action Figure Set" 3-Packs
« Reply #210 on: March 16, 2014, 10:49 AM »
THIS COLLECTION CONTAINS R2-D2, C-3PO AND CHEWBACCA (CHEWBACCA IS NOT A DROID???) MAYBE THAT'S WHY THIS IS THE ONLY ONE ON EBAY, SOME KIND OF PACKAGING ERROR? MESSAGE ME AND LET ME KNOW.

i just noticed as i was looking at the pics i posted online, and i had to check the box, c-3po's right leg is silver??? i never noticed that before. it is silver at the knee down on his right leg. please message me about this as well, why is his lower half of his right leg silver, another packaging error??? i'm beginning to think that this is more rare than i thought. if you look at the pics, on his left leg, it has a black joint, and on the right leg, it's a silver joint with a silver lower leg.

--Excerpted from the description of  an eBay auction for the Android Set which wound up selling for $150 plus $15 shipping.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2014, 10:31 AM »
I can't remember all of these 3packs...wasn't this a fairly common set?  It's just repacks, right?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2014, 07:47 PM »
I honestly don't recall seeing this, but if it was in those large Target sets of 9 figures, I probably would've not known, nor cared, because they were all repacks...  It'd only be of interest to a carded collector, but I have a feeling if this is part of the Target big 9-packs then you can find it in the 9-pack for less than what he paid for it individually, which would be funny as all get out.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2014, 08:46 PM »
I honestly don't recall seeing this, but if it was in those large Target sets of 9 figures, I probably would've not known, nor cared, because they were all repacks...  It'd only be of interest to a carded collector, but I have a feeling if this is part of the Target big 9-packs then you can find it in the 9-pack for less than what he paid for it individually, which would be funny as all get out.

The Android set wasn't released in the big 9-pack (or 3-pack 3-pack), but rather individually in one of the follow-up waves. I know a few of those sets (like Vader/Stormtrooper/DST, Obi/Han/Luke, Androids) ended up slightly rare in my area. $150 still seems unrealistically high for the set... something like $50 would seem much more down to earth.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #214 on: March 17, 2014, 09:16 PM »
I suppose if it's the one you need.  I can't recall what those sets were now...  I never paid them much mind because they were all repacks for the most part.  I wanted the Hoth Trooper one and the ones with new figures, and that was it.

Even with new figures though, they didn't do great...  Even on sale...  Further proof at the overall line's health through no fault of anyone.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #215 on: March 18, 2014, 12:18 AM »
Yep, I passed on the Android set as well due to repacks. Hasbro would have been better served if they were to have introduced more new figure sculpts/repaints like they did with Snags and the GNK Droid. Sure they were a nice homage to the originals, but the overall concept could have been easily modified to get us "throwback" repaint DS Commander or vinyl cape Jawa. Even a TVC Ponda Baba molded in vintage blue/orange would have been awesome.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 18, 2014, 07:34 AM »
Looks like it wasn't that bad of a selection if its going for 6 times the retail cost on Ebay. I do wish they had made the matched colors cantina aliens set though.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 18, 2014, 03:32 PM »
but the overall concept could have been easily modified to get us "throwback" repaint DS Commander or vinyl cape Jawa. Even a TVC Ponda Baba molded in vintage blue/orange would have been awesome.

I tried dropping a hint at last year's TF that the Cantina three-some of Walrusman, Greedo and Hammerhead in that deco would be a cool addition and the Hasbro rep thought so, too, but we'll see if they remember that stuff.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 18, 2014, 04:05 PM »
Unfortunately I think the vintage 3-pack ship has sailed.   :(

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 19, 2014, 12:56 AM »
That Android set came out at the same time as the Target sets that had the redone Snaggletooth and GONK Droid, right? I remember all three of them being fairly common and eventually clearanced out here. This is just a case of an idiot fooling another idiot.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #220 on: March 19, 2014, 01:20 AM »
I thought the Snags/Droids set came out together, but didn't recall a 3rd set.  Again though it's so easy to forget because it is old stuff in a new box.  I thought all that wave had a new figure in each set though?

What was the wave of 3-packs before it?  Was that the 9-pack set?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 19, 2014, 02:04 PM »
I bought a full case of the Droids/Snags assortment.  That was just two different sets (3x of each). 

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #222 on: March 19, 2014, 03:07 PM »
I thought the Snags/Droids set came out together, but didn't recall a 3rd set.  Again though it's so easy to forget because it is old stuff in a new box.  I thought all that wave had a new figure in each set though?

What was the wave of 3-packs before it?  Was that the 9-pack set?

Vintage 9pk
- Imperial Set (4-LOM, AT-AT Driver, TIE Pilot)
- Hoth Rebels (Hoth Han, Hoth Rebel Trooper, FX-7)
- Bespin Alliance (Bespin Guard, Lando, Bespin Luke)

Villian Set (Stormtrooper, Vader, Death Star Trooper)
Hero Set (X-wing Luke, Obi-Wan, Han)
Rebel Set (2-1B, Hoth Leia, Hoth Rebel Trooper)

Android Set (Chewy, R2, 3PO)
Imperial Forces Set (Bossk, Snowtrooper, IG-88)
Imperial Set (Imperial Commander [gray], AT-AT Driver, Dengar)

Droid Set (R5-D4, Death Star Droid, Power Droid)
Villian Set (Snaggletooth, Boba Fett, Sand People)
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #223 on: March 19, 2014, 08:59 PM »
but the overall concept could have been easily modified to get us "throwback" repaint DS Commander or vinyl cape Jawa. Even a TVC Ponda Baba molded in vintage blue/orange would have been awesome.

I tried dropping a hint at last year's TF that the Cantina three-some of Walrusman, Greedo and Hammerhead in that deco would be a cool addition and the Hasbro rep thought so, too, but we'll see if they remember that stuff.
I brought this up (in this thread prolly) that this would have been awesome

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #224 on: March 19, 2014, 10:51 PM »
I know we were discussing the grey DST in here at one point...  As much as I too want stuff like that, I really would prefer something more than a deco change.  I'd like those outfits...  Walrus man with the flipper feet boots, and a unitard thing, Greedo with the funky suit and boots...

The Death Squad Commander would be my most wanted though.  Grey suit, not just a repaint of the current Naval Commander figure, but a unique tunic (it's zipped up different than the INC's outfit), and the head with the headset under the helmet...  The POTF2 figure got that, and I'd be cool if they duplicated it. 

The vintage figure has a rank badge painted on, which isn't accurate, but I'd still take it on an update.

I'd love modern figures of the aliens though in their goofy little jumpsuits.  Modern sculpts, but goofy outfits and colors.