Author Topic: The Black Series 3.75" - 2013 Wave 1  (Read 38867 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Series 3.75" - 2013 Wave 1
« Reply #120 on: August 30, 2013, 06:49 AM »
It's not about "Towing The Line" with Hasbro regarding news.  Are press releases important?  Absolutely.  And so is analysis of those releases and events.  The analysis of those press releases is what sets sites apart from one another when Hasbro does an image dump.

Personally, I think that posting eBay auctions as front page content is bull****.  I always have.  But some sites like Rebelscum regard that as a revenue stream, and I understand their motivation for doing so.  I don't like it, but I see what drives it.  And it's not much different from Adam Pawlus's Figure of the Day feature (and other copycat features).  Although in his case he's actually doing work, writing about and photographing the figures in question.  Features like that are designed with the express purpose of generating content for a main page, especially during a drought in news.  But I know that you know that, too.

As for stories that are hot right now?  The TBS cardback issue is a significant story.  That's a defect that's being seen across the board.  When the blisters of brand new figures are falling off the cardbacks in the store, it's worth reporting.  The spring issue with the Amazon exclusive Slave I is a story.  The revelation of Merumeru (which didn't come through Hasbro) is a story.  Why did Hasbro hold Merumeru back from SDCC/CE2 is a sideline story.  The reception that the 6" figure line is getting is a story.  And reactions to the 5 POA figures and scaled down vehicles are stories.

Regarding sales trends?  That's a story that takes a little more time to develop.  Especially with a line that's effectively been on hiatus for almost half a year.  But the current climate of short attention spans is focused on pegwarming.  All the while not taking account that it's on a line that's launched at the end of a slow summer, when people are vacationing.  It comes across as being short-sighted.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:54 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2013, 08:54 PM »
To the people who said Luke is just a repaint, not important, not worth buying...  You're nuts.

And I don't mean that to be a dick, but you really are nuts and must get this figure...

I opened my Luke and Padme tonight. 

Padme, she's good...  She's very crisp, good detail, and beside the elbow pin being **** (absolutely, totally, BS), she is truly an awesome figure.  Great articulation, love the Droid blaster and wish I could buy packs of these alone, and I thought the deco was pretty spot on but that one pin...  But she isn't the wave winner like some are saying. 

Luke is the wave's winner at this point.  Here's why.

-The sculpt is far more new than first thought.  The head of course is, but so is the upper and lower torso.  They're more crisp, and the shirt's FAR more detailed.  The coat is maybe based on the previous figure, but far more crisply detailed.  It came out of the molds just much better looking.

Likewise the holster is all new, and far more detailed than the previous figure.  Truly, this shocked me how much nicer it is.  Hasbro really needs to get its **** together on sculpting separate holsters with thigh-straps like this again.  Totally appreciate that kind of detail.  Plus it doesn't hinder the leg movement, at all.

Adding in that they gave a nice new left hand (probably both, but left one I'm sure is new) with separately sculpted index and middle fingers...  Minor?  Sure, but life-like improvements like that are what always set the bar, and this figure has them.

-New accessories...  The pistol and medal are both new, and far more detailed than their previous incarnations.  Totally worthy updates to both.  I love seeing the details on the medal.  This makes me very ahppy to get a 2nd of this figure in a later case.  I want another of that medal.

-The deco blows the 30AC figure away...  not just the skin tone though.  The weird badge thing on the coat, the striping accuracy on the caot and pants, the gloss on teh boots, the color and wash of the hair...  It's pretty damn perfect.

-Luke's expression alone...  totally worth it.  It's not so specific it's odd or out of place in other poses, but if you're like me this figure will largely be posed holding his hands behind his back and ready to get his medal...  Well, let me say, this face sculpt has that "satisfied" grin, but still with the look of seriousness, that Luke had in that scene...  It's classic, and really maybe the finest Luke likeness Hasbro ever has done.

Sure, there's no ankle articulation...  The legs appear to be pure re-release.  But they were accurate in the first place, and the ankle joints are the single joint I think can be cut across the board on all figures, and I don't believe it will impact any figure who has flat, neutral sculpted feet/ankles...  IE: Not like the Clone Recruit from the 30AC line with his pre-posed "walking" ankles.

Really though, I thought I'd just give my $.02 on this Luke figure...  I'd seen some folks passing on it, and I don't think they realize how improved it is.  Some of it takes some examination, but this one's far better than I thought as well.  May be my current favorite Luke in my collection now.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 18, 2013, 09:28 AM »
Been seeing these a lot at retail lately. Not moving as fast as the 6 inch though.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 29, 2013, 06:13 AM »
Padme, she's good...  She's very crisp, good detail, and beside the elbow pin being **** (absolutely, totally, BS), she is truly an awesome figure.  Great articulation, love the Droid blaster and wish I could buy packs of these alone, and I thought the deco was pretty spot on but that one pin...  But she isn't the wave winner like some are saying. 

Luke is the wave's winner at this point.  Here's why.

Hmmmm... I think you convinced me to pick up the Luke.  I had considered it a repaint and wasn't going to bother, but it sounds like it's a worthwhile purchase.  I was really torn on Padme since I wanted to upgrade her, but again, I wasn't sure it was necessary.  My collection is still boxed so I don't have the figures handy to see how badly upgrades are needed, but you sold me.

Well done.  8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #124 on: September 29, 2013, 03:41 PM »
On Padme there is no good version of her with the scratches...  To me she was almost an unmade figure haha.  Luke the details are small Jess, but make huge differences.  The 30AC figs shirt was totally inaccurate actually.  It's really nice.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2013, 05:05 PM »
Seeing the Biker Scout from this wave as a $3.49 "add on" at Amazon makes me wonder why I was trying to army build these back in the VTSC days, still like that figure a lot.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2013, 07:22 PM »
Got my Biker Scout price adjusted to $2.69 from Amazon.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 17, 2013, 05:40 AM »
Finished Wave 1 thanks to Amazon's prices... kinda. I've decided to skip troops and repeat characters and basically pick up the main characters individually until I see a case I'm 100% happy with. For Wave 1 I bought Luke and Padme back in August and just ordered a $3 Biggs and Anakin from Amazon. I'll get the Vader and the Clone Pilot in some other case, or just get them individually for cheap too.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks