Author Topic: 2013 SDCC Legends Thunderbolts Box Set  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
2013 SDCC Legends Thunderbolts Box Set
« on: June 5, 2013, 03:28 PM »
In case you guys haven't seen them yet...  Hasbro Comic-Con exclusives @ USA Today.  Follow the link for the pics.

Marvel Legends Thunderbolts set ($89.99) - Luke Cage, Crossbones, Ghost, Moonstone and Judith Chambers.

Marvel Legends

Between its superhero movies, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV show and its comic-book empire, Marvel may have the biggest Comic-Con ever in 2013.

Action figures come hand in hand with comics, though. Whereas Hasbro hits kid demos with Iron Man, Spider-Man, Thor and Wolverine movie toys this year, the company is using its Marvel Legends Comic-Con set to embrace the adult fans and put the spotlight on some characters who haven't seen that much love — in this case, the Thunderbolts.

Hasbro aims to "create a minor event out of it at Comic-Con to remind our most ardent collectors that we can do some of the coolest stuff that's very relevant to them," says Adam Biehl, vice president, global brand strategy and marketing.

"We surprise the fan base with something they didn't expect, and that's always the goal with any exclusives we do."

The Hasbro team was excited by the idea of doing a Thunderbolts set ($89.99) of 6-inch figures inspired by the comic-book art of Kev Walker and based on the Marvel team of superpowered antiheroes — Avengers member Luke Cage and the reformed super-criminals Crossbones, Ghost, Moonstone and Judith Chambers — that work for the government.

Cage receives a more modern Legends figure than he's seen in the past, but senior design director Dwight Stall was most excited about giving first editions to other characters whom "the Marvel fans have never had a figure of and might possibly have never thought, oh yeah, Hasbro will get around to doing those," he says, adding that other Legends figures releasing later this year and in 2014 will be on display at the Marvel booth.

One of the more interesting Thunderbolts to design was Ghost, a character who is very, very different in his anatomy from what you'd see on other, more traditional superheroes.

"He's not big, he's not muscular, he doesn't have that overwhelming presence to him," says Stall, adding that they re-used a Bucky sculpt from a few years back that they never thought they'd utilize again. "We turned him into my favorite figure in the set."

And if bigger is better, then Crossbones' massive cannon wins the day.

"Realism has its place but there's that level of super-realism in the superhero world where you could have a guy who could literally rip a mini-gun off the side of a helicopter and use it as a hand weapon," Stall says. "That's one of the benefits of having super strength."
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 SDCC Legends Thunderbolts Box Set
« Reply #1 on: June 5, 2013, 08:49 PM »
Pretty nice set, as usual, but man SDCC exclusives could get expensive between the various licensees.  Not sure if I'll go in on this one or not.  I've been pretty much all in on Legends since the "relaunch" a year or two back, but missed out on last year's SDCC exclusive (the X-Force one), and not sure if I care about this one $90 worth.  I do like the modern Luke Cage, and all the other figures look great too, but we'll have to see.  Nice presentation though, and good "newness" to the pack, which is always a plus.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 5, 2013, 10:28 PM »
Wish they had picked Songbird instead of Satana, but I'm probably game for this set.  Moonstone and modern Luke are awesome.  I normally avoid baddies, but Crossbones and Ghost are old faves fromt he Cap and Iron Man days.  Cool set -I just hope I can get an order in for them.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: June 6, 2013, 12:19 AM »
Looks cool, hope i can get this and Boba Fett from HTS.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 6, 2013, 09:00 AM »
Maybe this will help pave the way for that long-awaited 70's style Power Man/Iron Fist movie. Calling Quentin Tarantino!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy