Author Topic: New Star Wars Battlefront  (Read 23293 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: New Star Wars Battlefront
« Reply #30 on: January 7, 2016, 11:11 AM »
Battlefront has really become a game I can't play for more than 30 minutes to an hour, otherwise it becomes boring/repetitive. They REALLY need more material, and I'm not just talking about DLC and a $50 season pass preorder. I'm now of the mindset that leaving Prequel material out of the game was a huge mistake.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 7, 2016, 04:25 PM »
Got this for my 9yo son on XBox for Christmas.  He doesn't play other first person shooter games, but is pretty good with the remote from playing Disney Infinity, Minecraft, etc.  I'm not much of a gamer, but continuously get schooled whenever we play against each other.  I cannot seem to aim as quickly or memorize the map the way he has and most matchups it's not even close.  We have been playing the local co-op missions a little more and definitely having more fun partnering up than getting slaughtered by my kid.  We tried online for just a few minutes last night - I died in 60 seconds, but he was able to get a few kills in.  ::) #HowdIgetsoold
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2016, 02:43 PM »
Battlefront Content Update

Out Today:
- Tatooine Survival map can be used in other online modes
- Hoth skins for Luke and Han when playing on Hoth
- Private Matchmaking
- Daily Challenges and Community Events
- Tweaks to weapons and multiplayer modes

Coming in February:
- New Hoth maps
- Turning Point expanded to all maps, not just Jakku

Coming in March:
- New Endor maps
- New Tatooine Survival map

And finally some info on the season pass:

• Star Wars Battlefront Outer Rim (March 2016) - Fight among the factories of Sullust and battle within Jabba the Hutt's palace on Tatooine
  • Star Wars Battlefront Bespin (Summer 2016) - It's hunt or be hunted in this action-packed experience set in the Cloud City of Bespin.
  • Star Wars Battlefront Death Star (Fall 2016) – That’s no moon! One of the most iconic locations in the Star Wars universe makes its debut in Star Wars Battlefront.
  • Star Wars Battlefront Expansion Pack 4 – Title TBA (Early 2017) – We will have more details to share about this exciting new expansion pack in the coming months.

So in other words, "we know there has been a huge dropoff in the number of people playing our stale game, so have some new maps to hide the fact that there is hardly any content!" ::)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2016, 03:21 PM »
That about sums it up. :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2016, 08:05 PM »
I actually got now only the update today here.  Already I've played on Hoth as Luke Skywalker in his Hoth Gear.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2016, 11:00 PM »
Are people not happy with this game?  The visuals are stunning.  I'm not a big gamer, but my son and I love this game.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2016, 11:09 PM »
Are people not happy with this game?  The visuals are stunning.  I'm not a big gamer, but my son and I love this game.

I find this video game here to be quite awesome and not just because I'm obsessed with Star Wars and all.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 11:52 PM »

It's getting a good bit of flak, yes.

Visually it's nice, but gameplay is basically dumbed down FPS gaming...  And add in the extensive amount of stuff they expect you to (over)pay for to actually have more than a couple maps, and it's been a pretty dismal game overall.

Personally, I like Call of Duty for this kind of gaming...  It's more complex but that adds to the game's dynamics.  I also love love love Titanfall.  HALO is up there too but I play more for the story there, something you really couldn't do with Battlefront at all since there is no SP campaign (another check against it, especially when you have the backdrop of friggin' Star Wars to go to).

It's lost players pretty steadily I guess...  I don't keep up with that, just things I've read on the interwebs.  Guess people got pretty po'd pretty fast.

But yes, visually it's impressive to look at.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2016, 07:11 AM »
Perhaps the coming updates on the game will make it more enjoyable.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2016, 09:35 AM »
Yeah what Jesse said... no Single Player/Campaign mode outside of a few random tutorials, which forces you to play online. Which isn't SO bad, but then you realize the game modes are all essentially the same, and there are only 4 maps included with the regular game (5 if you have the free Jakku DLC).

And yeah, all of the season pass material, with the extra maps and characters, will cost a total of $50... that's an entire game right there!

The game is apparently hemorrhaging players who are going back to Fallout, Halo, Destiny, CoD... games that offer a lot more variety than just being able to play as a Rebel or a Stormtrooper. The lack of Prequel Content ends up hurting this game more than anything, IMO, as at least that would have added 2 extra sides to play as, and offered a few more maps. Like Walker Assault... how cool would it be to play opposite of the OT version in the game and have Battle Droids trying to stop AT-TEs on Geonosis or Kashyyyk?

And the latest update basically neutered every weapon in the game. I played for about 30 minutes last night. Boba Fett is now worthless as a character since he doesn't have any weapons that heat seek players (Han and Leia still do) and the card weapons (grenades, snipers, etc.) have pretty much been rendered worthless. Meaning you basically have to be at point blank range to kill another player, and even that is a crap shoot because the blasters aren't as powerful.

My point is, good graphics don't really matter if the game isn't good or doesn't have any replay factor.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2016, 10:05 AM »
It's currently scoring in the low-to-mid 70s at Metacritic. I know the game disappointed a lot of people, but I didn't know the scores were that low. I'm kind of surprised.

I'm curious to see what they're gonna do with a sequel, assuming there'll be one. Probably Fall 2017. Will it be all TFA and Episode 8 stuff? What about Prequel stuff? Will they rehash all the OT stuff from this game into the next one?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 01:58 PM »
I read up a little on this and it sounds to me like more hard core, experienced gamers are the ones speaking out.  While I get that game play might not have as many options, I think you also have to consider that they didn't want an overly complex game for more casual players.  I think the game sold over 12 million copies, so you might not want the complexity of other games if you're targeting more mass appeal.  As someone without much gaming experience and less time to figure everything out, I think it is a really fun jump in and play right away kind of game that at least makes me feel like I can kind of compete with everyone in the game.  Something even more sophisticated would just increase the divide between experts and novices, which limits the audience potential for future releases.  $50 for the expansions feels a little pricey to me, but I like the game enough to probably bite on that eventually.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 07:45 PM »
Eh, to each his own...

For me, it's like Travis said about the pay-to-play DLC stuff which is pretty outrageously expensive and amounts to VERY little ultimately when it is released as we see now.

Add in the lack of weapon diversity/complexity...  And when I say complexity, I'm not saying it's actually complex to understand.  I'm FAR from an avid gamer.  I'm very much a casual 38 year old gamer, and just don't have time to devote to mastering FPS's.  That said, this game's so...  slow.  It's just very basic, and uninteresting.

In COD, you can add suppressors, scopes, sights, extended ammo capacity, etc.  You can customize your guy too.  He can be fast, or slow.  He can take more hits, or less.  He can do a ton of stuff.  EA had a PRIME opportunity with this game to not just give you cookie-cutter crap from the movies, more or less, and they could've really hefted out the ability to customize your Rebel Trooper and your Imperial Trooper...  Give a Commando Class that's faster and uses close-up attack (I hardly ever used it, at all).  Hell, the game doesn't even give you side-arms, something people in the movies even had!  Let you load out a guy with two weapons.  Let him dual wield.  Let them have a greater capacity to carry grenades, etc.

The customizability isn't difficult and lets players tailor a character to HOW they play.  If anything it's a bonus, and makes a novice more competitive because they're able to have a "tank" or a dexterous guy who's fast but can't take hits as well or whatever.

Anyway, like you said Diddly, they're hemorrhaging players, so it's not just the hardcore guys saying these things...  Like I said, I'm really just a casual gamer, this game just is a failure to me, and I wanted to enjoy it.  And that's not even really ragging on the whole Downloadable Content issue that's plaguing them.  Not to mention launch map diversity was a joke, and even if you get Jakku, it's still more of the same.

Why not do Mos Eisley?  Why not have a Death Star level at launch?  Why not a Yavin Temple?  Some things should've just been there at launch, IMO.

I am more a footsoldier fan too, not so much into the vehicles and such, so theoretically I SHOULD enjoy this game more than I do, but I just don't.

A game I fell into, and loved from the day I played it, was Titanfall.  I have rounds where I'm just pwned from the start, but I have games where I'm just clicking along, have a good character designed, and I'm kicking ass too.  And the Titans can compensate a person's k/d nicely if they're maybe not the most savvy run/gun guy.  You can snipe, but not all the time.  Camping is difficult (another BF flaw IMO) to do, but not impossible.

I really think if the characters and weapons were more complexly customizable, I'd like the game much, much more.  That alone would probably have me hooked on it.  I'm not a fan of the lack of ammo clips (guns in the SW universe have them...  why alter that?), but I'd overcome that if I knew I could pick/choose the weapons and their "style" to suit my playing style better.  And having the ability to drop to your pistol in desperation is great.

I'm not going to be paying for any DLC obviously.  I'll just be waiting things out and playing other games with the kids.

I never got into Destiny but I hear it's amazing...  the kids liked it.

Matt, I have a feeling the launch sales of BF will push through a sequal, but will they go balls out to alter the game so dramatically to make it more competitive with other similar games in the genre?  I doubt it, personally, and then it'll just peter out and go back into obscurity.

Personally though, I never liked the original Battlefronts that much...  They though, at least were somewhat innovative on the overall genre, at the time.

I do enjoy looking at pretty stuff in the games though!  Cargo pods, boxes, equipment, etc.  I dug seeing an X-Wing (and other stuff) covered with camo netting, which I kinda fiddled with in customizing and whatnot.  It was cool seeing it in a SW setting is what I'm saying.  And I liked their take on Sullust and things.  They really graphically seem to push things too.  Maybe more so than other games do.

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2016, 09:52 AM »
I recently got a number of the achievements in the game in this week alone.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2016, 03:14 PM »
Polygon: Here's why Star Wars Battlefront content is sticking with the original trilogy

Star Wars Battlefront will only include content based on the original trilogy, in the interest of preserving the franchise's canon, according to EA.

"You can't make a game in Star Wars that violates the canon of Star Wars," said EA chief financial officer Blake Jorgensen during a quarterly earnings call yesterday, according to a transcript from Seeking Alpha. Since Battlefront is explicitly set during the era of the original trilogy, adding events from films set earlier or later than Episodes 4 through 7 would be unfaithful to the franchise, he explained.

EA is open to including these characters and stories in future Star Wars games, Jorgensen went on to say.

Ea confirmed that Battlefront itself wouldn't include The Force Awakens back in December. However, this marks the first confirmation that EA will also leave the prequel trilogy out of ​Battlefront​'s upcoming expansion packs.

I could kind of understand this if there was some sort of single-player campaign element to the game, but there's not, right? It's pretty much multiplayer-only. So how would having non-OT-era stuff in the game violate the canon? As long as you don't mix-and-match eras within the same match, I don't see what the problem is. Isn't that how the original Battlefronts worked? They were split into Clone Wars-era matches or Galactic Civil War-era matches.

It seems to me more like maybe they just didn't want to do the ****-ton of work that would be required to put prequel- or Disney-era stuff into the game, especially since people don't have a hard-on for the prequels like they do with the OT.

They're kind of painting themselves into a corner with all this canon-talk for a sequel. They're almost gonna have to go complete saga with it. If they don't, it's like I mentioned earlier, they'll have a game set in an era that nobody cares about anymore (Prequels/Clone Wars), or a complete rehash of this game, which probably won't go over too well, or a Disney-era game with probably not a lot of water in the well to draw from, in terms of content, especially if they're as tight with Episode VIII spoilers as they were with Force Awakens. Really curious to what's gonna happen.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."