Author Topic: NHL Offseason 2013  (Read 11569 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
NHL Offseason 2013
« on: June 25, 2013, 01:24 PM »
With the compressed schedule and draft coming up this weekend already, I have to fast-track the creation of this one...

Draft coming up this week.  I know Brent and I both love us some NHL draft-watching, anyone else?

Will be a bit of a bummer not having a first rounder this year (so far), but I'm expecting the next few days to be filled with a ton of trades and buy-outs as teams get ready for the draft and the huge dip in the salary cap for next year.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: NHL Offseason 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 10:47 PM »
Rumours abound about the Jets trying to trade up.  Or down.  Maybe.  I don't know, but Chevy better dang well do something this year aside from the waiver wire.  We can confidently say we know what we have in our team now and it happens to be the Atlanta Thrashers.  Go figure.  Blow it up Chevy. 

Had to laugh at Bryz getting bought out.  Maybe he's thinking he can find a park in Winnipeg now that he's got 23 mill in his pocket. 

I do agree though, next several days should be really interesting.  Here's hoping we can sign our guys for some bargain deals and pick up some of the buy-out castoffs at reasonable dollar amounts.  And maybe a Clutterbuck.   :P
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 10:50 PM »
Pens are working a lot harder to sign Cooke and Dupuis than Letang, which isn't a surprise because he's a tougher sign and has more time than the other two, in which to get a deal done if they're gonna.

Frankly, I think Letang's days are done here.  He'll want too much.  He's a Staal waiting to happen I'm afraid.  I like him when he's paired with a good shut-down guy.  Niskanen was NOT that guy.  ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 11:58 PM »
Jesse...how has Paul Martin played for the Pens?  Little known fact (which I've repeated many times) I used to babysit Paul when I and he were kids...it is cool that I was able to teach him everything I know about Hockey and he took that tutelage and went on to the pros.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 11:59 PM by Scott »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 01:12 PM »
I was 100% for dumping him after last year, but this year he was widely regarded as our best defenseman.  Amazing how a guy can turn around like that.  He was great going North, but was responsible defensively all year and throughout the playoffs.  Really showed he can QB a powerplay.

A lot of people think he'll mentor Simon Despres as a D-Man since Letang's most likely leaving and kind of replaced Gonchar, though like I said Martin was pretty solid all year whereas Letang was up and down, and his stats were largely padded with assists because of who he was playing with.

So yeah, I've totally reversed (especially if Letang's gone) and like Martin and how he fits into the blue line now.  They need someone like him to help with the younger players I assume will be coming up next year.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 12:05 PM »
Looks like the buyouts are heading into high gear today -

PHI - Briere, Bryzgalov
MON - Kaberle
TB - Lecavalier

Not surprised about Philly since those have been long rumored, but I feel bad for TB/Lecavalier.  That has to be a hard move to dump your captain like that simply because of the $$ situation.  Will be interested to see where he ends up...

I was 100% for dumping him after last year, but this year he was widely regarded as our best defenseman.

Never doubt a Minnesotan D-man, Jesse.  I would have thought Alex Goligoski would have taught you that. ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 03:54 PM »
Loved go go and if anything him gone makes me think they're gonna try hard to keep Letang I just don't think he'll do the hometown discount and I (personally) feel Cooke n Dupuis r more important signs...

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 08:45 PM »
Rumours around Letang getting an offer somewhere in the ballpark of 8 million per?  Aside from the fact that's an absurd overpayment, who the hell else are the Pens going to actual put on the ice? 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 09:08 PM »
No way I'd believe that....  They're also in negotiation with duper n Cooke before 5th...  Adams hasn't even been spoken to.  I can't believe 8 at all.  He's be well beyond any dman in league I think?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 10:48 PM »
Yeah I thought it more than a little insane for that pay scale.  I'm just kind of surprised at how much the Pens have thrown out of late.  Obviously you want to pay Crosby and Malkin but then you better be hoping for some real good performances from lower end guys. 

In other news it's looking like the gauntlet has been thrown in the Phoenix saga.  A decision needs to be made by July 2nd.  In spite of the massive rumours surrounding Seattle I'd place my money on Quebec City simply because they're in a position so similar to what Winnipeg was in...almost.  Their arena is a lot closer (corruption in the government and construction industries notwithstanding) and I think their ownership group is more tangible.  I think Seattle is a few years away yet and will get the expansion franchise.

On the other hand it would be better for scheduling if it was Seattle and really, how much worse than Phoenix could it be initially?  Plus you can probably get the $170M out of Seattle and then hose Quebec City for well over $200M for an expansion franchise.  Plus moving out of a U.S. market to another U.S. market would fit the little weasel's ideals much better. 

But neither location is as well prepared as Winnipeg was. 

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 11:59 PM »
I still think the Coyotes go to Seattle because QC and Toronto 2.0 will be more willing to pony up 250+ mil for the expansion fees than Seattle.  :P

Then, in a few years when you're ready for expansion, you'll see...
- Colorado heads West to the Pacific group
- Toronto 2.0 and one of DET/TB get dropped into central division
- QC gets dropped into Division C to take the place of DET/TB

That way, with Toronto 2 in the West, they can dream of an all Toronto Cup final (or the much less likely all FL cup final with TB in the west and FLA in the east :P)

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 12:02 AM »
TB - Lecavalier

I'm beyond disappointed to see this happen.

I don't know much about the negotiations... what kind of nonsense is it that the new CBA reduced the salary cap but doesn't allow teams to restructure deals they made based on the old salary cap?

Or do I have my facts wrong?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 01:31 PM »
I was 100% for dumping him after last year, but this year he was widely regarded as our best defenseman.

Never doubt a Minnesotan D-man, Jesse.  I would have thought Alex Goligoski would have taught you that. ;)

Especially one I babysat

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 06:45 PM »
TB - Lecavalier

I'm beyond disappointed to see this happen.

I don't know much about the negotiations... what kind of nonsense is it that the new CBA reduced the salary cap but doesn't allow teams to restructure deals they made based on the old salary cap?

Or do I have my facts wrong?

I don't think there's a team out there that didn't know the salary cap was going down under the new CBA.  It had been rumoured for years and realistically if your team signs a player to a stupid contract (paying a guythat much for that long a term when he's in his thirties is pretty stupid).

Restructuring a deal under the new cap would mean the player would make less money.  Is that legal?  When you sign a contract aren't you legally, never mind the sub-rules imposed by the NHL itself, obligated to meet the expectations of that contract?  Both the player and the organization? 

If the player stops playing before the terms of the contract are up (i.e. retires) then he is or is not paid, depending on how the contract is worded, but the team is still charged an amount towards the cap.  The league did this to prevent teams from creating all sorts of stupid ass backloaded contracts which simply circumvent the salary cap.  Were this not in place, teams like Philadelphia (no brains) or Toronto (bottomless pockets) could simply backload all the contracts they want and be a gazillion miles over the cap.  How would that be fair to the other teams in the league that can't afford to do that?  It's not and realistically you'd do immense damage to the league.  I think you could expect the league to contract to about ten teams or less if you let them go freewheeling for salaries that are backloaded, maybe more. 

That's not to say that Vinny will be out of TB for long: he'll sign a one year deal somewhere and then re-sign for a lesser amount to end his career with the Lightning.  He's said as much.  So he gets paid out the buyout amount plus he'll resign for probably $4+ million somewhere for a year while his family stays in TB.  Then he'll re-sign a more realistic contract with TB to end his career there. 

Now explain to me why I should feel remotely bad about this.  Lecavalier is getting paid out two thirds of the 37 million dollars owed to him.  He'll sign for about $4 mill more with someone, then will sign with TB again for a more realistic term. 

Here's the math:
Payout 2013: 32.667 million
Probably 2013-14 salary: 4 million
Re-sign with Lightning for three more years with Lightning: 3 years, likely around $3 milliion per year average salary, total 9 million.

Wah!  Poor Vinny. 

Wah! Poor Tampa Bay. 

Vinny's up in money but plays one less year at the front end for the Lightning, still playing out his twilight years there and actually has to play a few less years (4 vs. 7) but ends up about $8 million ahead. 

I think I can miss my family for a year for that kind of coin. 

Tampa Bay on the other hand is out $32+ million dollars for signing a player to an idiotic contract in the first place.  At the same time they free up $7 million dollars in cap space allowing them to sign other players while Vinny is off playing in Toronto/Florida/Philly.  They also get a year to look at their roster and plan for his return with a cap hit of only about $3 million dollars. 

So tell me what the negative effect overall of the new CBA was on the Lightning and Lecavalier? 

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2013, 07:33 PM »
All reports here r pens offering bout 7 n Letang countering 7.5 but wants no move which I can't see happening and seems to be bigger sticking point than money. :/

I stick with the thought they'll trade him.  I wouldn't be shocked if its at the draft tho they don't have to.  I'd rather see him go west tho than stay in the east.  I'm not happy but I knew someone was bound to go.  I just hope they lock down Duper and Cooke at this point.