Author Topic: Episode III's big surprise REVEALED!  (Read 12301 times)

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
  • Sarcastic instigator at large.
    • View Profile
Episode III's big surprise REVEALED!
« on: August 12, 2003, 05:11 PM »
[Read with melodic tone]

Soooomeooooone's a shaaaaapeshifter.  :-X

Why bother exposing Zam Wesell as a shapeshifter in Episode II? Clearly she never used her abilities onscreen to disguise herself as anyone else, not even to escape her Jedi pursuers. I can think of only two reasons:

A) She replaced someone prior to her demise, an act that will be revealed in a flashback.

2) George was setting up the precedent of shapeshifters in the Star Wars Universe so that a curve ball in Episode III would be easier for fans to accept.

I'm guessing (okay, HOPING) that George actually had enough foresight to plan ahead and will be exposing someone - past or present - as a shape-shifter in league with the Sith. It would play well with the whole theme of duplicity that runs rampant through the Saga. But who this time? Sifo-Dyas? Jango Fett? Qui-Gon? Padme?

Other ideas?
Post sober.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Episode III's big surprise REVEALED!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2003, 05:15 PM »
How about your man Mace?  

I don't think it is Qui-Gon, he didn't seem evil, I don't think it is Jango, he was just a plot device...Sifo-Dyas it could be...perhaps Palpatine is Syfo-Dyas and actually is also a shape shifter...nah that sounds dumb

Not sure ???

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2003, 06:15 PM »
Darth Maul. What a frickin curve ball that would be. :P

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline urban fox

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 05:30 AM »
I really don't want a shape shifter in the plot.  The whole idea of clones coming back and people turing into different characters sounds awful to me.  

It sould all be so simple, you can still have really good plot twists and revelations without bringing clones back or people turing into new characters.   Please George...no
He can't muck this one up! just kill'em all in a really cool way!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 09:49 AM »
I think Lucas was just taking a jab at his ex-wife. Especially where on the commentary he says Zam looks beautiful but she's really a monster underneath.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 12:14 PM »
And like Marcia, she's not particularly good at her job.
Post sober.

Offline Boba Fitt

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 09:23 PM »
I hope that's not the case... part of the reason Star Trek went downhill so quickly was shapeshifters in every stinkin' episode... SW does not deserve the same fate!

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2003, 10:39 AM »
Is two episodes too much? (I thought one was.)

I'm more inclined to believe that Lucas made Zam a shapeshifter simply because he could, much like anything else in the worst of his movies. Aliens serve no real purpose but to remind the audience that this is "a galaxy far, far away," as if we'd forget it after reading it in the beginning of EVERY FRICKIN' MOVIE.

Otherwise aliens are totally arbitrary to the Star Wars Universe. They're second-class citizens; slaves, slave-owners, gangsters, and villains. They're social stereotypes that do nothing to serve the story. Even Yoda's the stereotypical homeless guy, dismissed by Luke because of his appearance. But Yoda could have just as easily been human. There's no reason for him to be an alien.

Unless Lucas explains WHY Zam's a shapeshifter in Episode III, she's just another on a long list of useless additions to an otherwise interesting story.
Post sober.

Offline DarthStiffler

• Jedi Initiate
  • i am the chosen one, alright lets dance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2003, 10:50 PM »
• We will not see any further changeling characters such as Zam Wesell. -PH ........hyperspace can be such a beautiful thing
i should poke out your eyes with a cork screw & shuve'em far up you buttocks so you can see the crapp being kicked out of you !! all together now SERANITY NOW !!!

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2003, 02:42 PM »
"PH" also mentioned that the person who ordered the clone army was seen in Attack of the Clones. Zam fulfilled her role as Sifo-Dyas long ago. She doesn't need to be seen in Episode III, just mentioned.  ;D
Post sober.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2003, 03:05 PM »
Zam was the infamous Sifo-Dyas???  Unbelievable!  Well, if that's the case, it sure explains a lot though.  Since she's a changling she was able to morph into that supposed Jedi who was believed to have ordered them.

WOW!!!   :o
dustrho

Offline urban fox

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2003, 05:14 PM »
Oh I like that!  It all makes so much sense now!  

Offline urban fox

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2003, 01:31 PM »
But then when Obi-wan turned up on Kamino they thought he was Syfo-dyas.  So this either means that Zam's Syfo-dyas impression looks exactly like Obi-wan, Syfo-dyas does genuinly look like Obi-wan or that all humans look a like to Kaminoans and they mistook him.  

The most obvious possibility is though that Syfo made the order over the phone and never needed to be seen at all, which kinda destroys the whole Zam is syfo theory, it was nice though... :(

Offline MisterPL

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2003, 02:20 PM »
The most obvious possibility is though that Syfo made the order over the phone and never needed to be seen at all, which kinda destroys the whole Zam is syfo theory, it was nice though... :(

The phone lines from Coruscant are notoriously staticky. Any holo-transmissions would be pretty blurry. Damned Republic infrastructure. ;)

BUT, there are other possilbilities:

- Zam also posed as Dyas to gain access to the Jedi Archives and erase the data on Kamino.

- The Kaminoans who met Kenobi never met Dyas personally, their predecessors did.

Taun We and Lama Su were simply told to expect the Jedi (they all look alike to me). Zam was supposed to appear on Kamino as Dyas but was killed. Eventually Kenobi arrived, hence the Kaminoans' "Where have YOU been" disposition.
Post sober.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2003, 05:31 PM »
Why that Zam is a low down dirty B-----!!!!