Author Topic: Super-Articulated "VS." 2-packs?  (Read 3946 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Super-Articulated "VS." 2-packs?
« on: January 5, 2004, 05:04 PM »
BobaFett14, a guy I know from my local collector group mentioned this idea over at Rebelscum.com before, and it's one I really love.

It's a "Vs. 2-pack" idea with Super Articulated Army Builder-type figures sold together on a single card.  Imagine the possibilities though!

-SA Clone Vs. SA Battledroid
-SA Stormtrooper Vs. SA Rebel Fleet Trooper
-SA Scouttrooper Vs. SA Endor Rebel Trooper
-SA Snowtrooper Vs. SA Hoth Rebel Trooper
-SA Jedi Knight (Various) Vs. SA Super BattleDroid or Destroyer Droid
-SA Rebel Pilot Vs. SA Imperial Pilot

That's a pretty cool idea to me though, and could include lots of other characters/ideas...  Like what about a SA Fett Vs. SA Han or Luke maybe?

The army builder idea though rocks...  Great way to get army builders (Good SA versions) out en masse to the people and at a fair price for 2 good figures.  

I would sink tons of $ into this idea...  I mean a lotta dough.  It's one of the better army building ideas I've heard in ages, and would seem to apply to other aspects of the line as well beyond army builder figures.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Super-Articulated "VS." 2-packs?
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2004, 05:16 PM »
I'd probably faint if I saw that on the pegs.  Cool ideas.  

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #2 on: January 5, 2004, 05:56 PM »
-SA Stormtrooper Vs. SA Rebel Fleet Trooper
-SA Scouttrooper Vs. SA Endor Rebel Trooper
-SA Snowtrooper Vs. SA Hoth Rebel Trooper
-SA Rebel Pilot Vs. SA Imperial Pilot

If Hasbro did this, I'd be applying to McDonalds just for the extra toy money.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 5, 2004, 06:19 PM »
I would buy 10 of each.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #4 on: January 6, 2004, 01:56 AM »
I'd love to see an SA Stormtrooper, Boba and Jango, Luke and Han in any costume, and Vader. These Clones have spoiled us, methinks.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: January 6, 2004, 03:01 AM »
OK, let's take it beyond army builders then some...

-Super Articulated Jango Fett Vs. Super Articulated Mace Windu...  OOOOOoooo this one could kick major ass if it had every feature to the Jango we could possibly want.

-Super Articulated Luke Jedi Vs. Super Articulated Boba Fett...  Another cool one with major possibilities, even if Luke's just done in a decent figure now.

-Super Articulated Darth Vader Vs. Super Articulated Bespin Luke.

-Super Articulated Vader (hell, even repack it) Vs. Super Articulated Jedi Luke.

-Super Articulated Vader (ANH style) Vs. Super Articulated Obi-Wan.

-Super Articulated Obi-Wan Vs. Super Articulated Zam Wessel.

-Super Articulated Obi-Wan Vs. Super Articulated Darth Maul.

-Super Articulated Qui-Gon Vs. Super Articulated Darth Maul (Tatooine Figures).

-Super Articulated Qui-Gon Vs. Super Articulated Battledroid (white).  

-Super Articulated Yoda Vs. Super Articulated Dooku.

-Super Articulated Dagobah Luke Vs. Super Articualted Dagobah Yoda (It was sort of a "Vs." thing, right? :) ).

-Super Articulated Rebel Officer (Brown Uniforms) Vs. Super Articulated Imperial Officer (Black Uniforms).

-Super Articulated Imp. Royal Guard Vs. Super Articulated Rebel Honor Guard.

-Super Articulated Imperial Tech Vs. Super Articulated Rebel Tech.

-Super Articulated Admiral Ackbar Vs. Super Articulated Admiral Piett.

-Super Articulated Grand Moff Tarkin Vs. Super Articulated ANH Leia.

-Super Articulated Wicket Vs. Super Articulated Leia Endor.

-Super Articulated Han Endor Vs. Super Articulated Imperial Officer.

Or, we could even include a Scout or Stormtrooper with SA main characters in many cases, like an ANH Stormtrooper with an ANH Han or Chewie...  You get ultimate main characters and army builders all in one set.  

This idea really could spark a whole new life to Star Wars from a play standpoint...  Giving insentive to the kiddies to get back into it for sure.  Play off the success of the G.I. Joe 2-packs that really took off.  It would be great I think.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 6, 2004, 10:19 AM »
This is a really great idea JesseJames, and I know I'd be all for it if Hasbro went this route.  Like you said, it is a great way to get a number of SA army building figures out there (Stormies, Scout Troopers, Hoth Troopers, Snowtroopers, etc.)...but I also really like your idea of incorporating some of the main characters in there.  I really think if Hasbro would be able to go all out on SA versions of Luke, Han, Obi, Vader, etc....as well as the army-building types, there would be the best percentage of "happy" collectors they have seen, as well as a great way to bring kids into the line.  I know if I was a kid, I'd be all over a "Han vs. Stormtrooper" or "Jedi Luke vs. Vader" type of two packs, in fact...I'd be all over it now, as long as they were still sculpted well too.  We know they are capable of doing both (sculpt/articulation), we've seen their best work before...now if they just applied it in this way :).  Great idea, and thanks for posting it.

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 6, 2004, 10:46 AM »
I hate to be a killjoy here, but isn't the reason we are getting AT-ST pilot Han because Hasbro needs to balance putting out better figures that cost them more with figures they can make a larger profit from?  If anything, I think these would be better as single carded figures.  That way we could get all the stormtroopers, snowtroopers, scouttroupers, etc we want without having to buy an equal number of other figures you might not want as much.  For the army builders, I'm sure we will eventually get SA figures of most to possibly all of the imperial army builders and maybe the rebels.  But, I'd be very surprised if we ever get all of the main characters in SA form.   Hasbro has proved over and over again that profit drives the line, not what we want (which is pretty much how most companies work, don't ya think?)   I could see them going to a SA line after Ep 3 and then driving the price back up another dollar to about $5.99 a fig and then they could do all the SA figs we want and still have plenty of profitability.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: January 6, 2004, 10:49 AM »
I look across the aisle at the Valor vs Venom stuff and shake my head in disgust that they are charging a few dollars more for 2 figures compared to one, better articulated and accessorized figures at that...those army builder packs would rock.  I'd buy oodles, so would others.  Hasbro has their heads so far up their butts on what would sell though I doubt this would ever happen :-\  Great idea

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 6, 2004, 01:49 PM »
those are very good ideas, why dont you guys just email Hasbro your ideas?
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 6, 2004, 09:22 PM »

-Super Articulated Admiral Ackbar Vs. Super Articulated Admiral Piett.

Ok,that back I would get about 20 of,good good custom fodder there!
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 7, 2004, 12:28 AM »
Of course I'd love these to be made (especially for the army-builders) but I think we are dreaming if we think that they are going to be doing this anytime soon for the core characters.  But anything could happen.

If they do something like this, I hope they include Stormtroopers more often than just versus Fleet Troopers.  I also hope they wouldn't totally redo certain good figures, like the Fleet Trooper.  If they decided to keep the same basic sculpt of a figure like the Fleet Trooper I would be ok with it, especially if they added the helmet to be removable and have a working holster.  Maybe even head variants.

I think they did a great thing with the Clone Wars army-builder packs though, and would rather see 3-pks like those continue, but with added attention to detail/added articulation.  Or they could just make army-building 2-pks instead, with 2 Stormtroopers in a pack, or 2 Hoth Troopers in a pack, etc.  

Great idea though, I do love it.  I think that just about anything along these lines would be great.

:P