Author Topic: X-Men/Wolverine Movies  (Read 85664 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: X-Men/Wolverine Movies
« Reply #300 on: March 8, 2017, 09:00 AM »
in the movie its now pretty much a human only world. so in the movie is it implying that Chuck is the one responsible for there not being ANY mutants left or just what happened to the other xmen?

It's implied some were killed by Chuck at the X-Mansion.  Others were hunted down by the group that modified the corn syrup to end mutant births.

They really needed to do a juggling act with the timeframe to choose a year where Xavier could conceivably still be alive, and no new mutants had been born in a generation.  And I think that hampered the story a bit.  That's why all the lab rats needed to be so young.

I honestly hope they don't do a sequel.  They'd do better to focus exclusively on the Deadpool-verse.  Have that spawn Cable and X-Force and have those things happen in the present.  After the "main" universe wraps up their 1990s movie, just close that book.  With all the time travel and retcons, that storyline is indecipherable.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline jedipurge

• Jedi Apprentice
  • follow me on Instagram: VadersEmpire78
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 8, 2017, 09:40 AM »
that's right I totally forgot about those guys, thanks Bill.

it did seem a little weird that chuck would still be around and logan would have aged so fast. the fact that logan was so old almost implied that time had passed way more than then it had

and I agree with you on changing focus. we've had plenty of xmen movies over the years, and I really think that people would not accept a new actor playing Wolverine anytime soon.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2017, 09:42 AM by jedipurge »
Harmless is the most dangerous of perceptions, you never expect it to strike.-Purge

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #302 on: March 15, 2017, 11:26 PM »
I have generally liked most of the XMen movies but I gave this one a big meh...honestly part of me is super bitter that Fox holds on to this and FF and doesn't see the light like Sony did with spiderman.  I really didn't feel any emotion at all (except a little in the farmhouse) and the end scene (which in no way was in North Dakota) was almost laughable instead of touching

I'm with Bill, the whole X-verse is a hot mess and needs to end

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 16, 2017, 12:41 AM »
lll
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 11:09 PM by Scockery »

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 16, 2017, 06:56 AM »

And you have folks saying Logan isn't actually part of the previous X-Men continuity....which is saying that Force Awakens really isn't a sequel to the original trilogy. SO WHY SHOULD WE GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE MOVIE OR THE CHARACTERS? The whole thing depends a lot on the audience's previous connections to Logan and Xavier.

That isn't a fair comparison based on Days of Future Past.  TFA is most definitely a sequel, just set 30 years later than ROTJ instead of picking up a short time after.  Logan takes place later in the timeline than the "future" we see in Days of Future Past, but I don't think it goes into detail if it is the altered future which erased the events of X-Men 3 or if it is a different timeline.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 16, 2017, 10:47 AM »
I'm with Bill, the whole X-verse is a hot mess and needs to end

I watched about half of X-Men - Apocalypse the other night.  And it just seems like the series is all over the place now.  It doesn't seem like there's any real sense of the natural passage of time or continuity in the X-Men universe.  Just looking at Xavier and Alex Summers compared with their characters around the time of First Class made me wonder what the hell was going on.  Especially when they got Scott Summers involved.

There have been some bright points, like X-Men - First Class, but then Bryan Singer got back into the mix and it seems like things are all over the place again.  I was also a little annoyed by the line about Return Of The Jedi, where the dialogue took a shot at the 3rd X-Men film when a character said "The third movie is always the worst".  REALLY?  At that point in time only the Godzilla, James Bond, Star Wars and Planet of the Apes franchises had three movies out.  I get that some fans would appreciate the inside joke at Brett Ratner's expense, but seriously.  The way that Bryan Singer has messed with the X-Men film franchise is not that much better.  Singer shouldn't be taking shots like that.  And I'm not terribly disappointed that I fell asleep during the movie and didn't see the end.

I kind of want to see Logan because I like what Hugh Jackman has done with the role.  I understand that this might be the most adult/graphic presentation of Wolverine, but we've been getting that in the comics at least since the 1980's.  And it's been laid out for us in the comics for some time:  the Weapon X program was developed so that there would be a government agent who had the ability to kill other super heroes.  And the combination of Wolverine's powers and claws were a means to that end, and the means were violent.  And I also find it kind of funny that I had no knowledge base for Deadpool, and that film was actually pretty good.

I think an X-Men reboot is definitely in order.  The way Days of Future Past shook out, I thought that the alterations to the timeline would allow for that.  Too bad they didn't recognize that opportunity.  The X-Men franchise is fertile ground for storytelling, but it needs the kind of direction that the Marvel Cinematic Universe has had under Kevin Feige's supervision.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: June 14, 2017, 04:33 PM »
I read Jessica Chastain is in talks to play a villain in Dark Phoenix...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 04:35 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 14, 2017, 08:01 PM »
Picked up the Blue-Ray & DVD set for Logan at Target the other day - just $12!  Was this movie that bad?  I haven't checked it out yet...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 15, 2017, 01:44 AM »

And you have folks saying Logan isn't actually part of the previous X-Men continuity....which is saying that Force Awakens really isn't a sequel to the original trilogy. SO WHY SHOULD WE GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THE MOVIE OR THE CHARACTERS? The whole thing depends a lot on the audience's previous connections to Logan and Xavier.

That isn't a fair comparison based on Days of Future Past.  TFA is most definitely a sequel, just set 30 years later than ROTJ instead of picking up a short time after.  Logan takes place later in the timeline than the "future" we see in Days of Future Past, but I don't think it goes into detail if it is the altered future which erased the events of X-Men 3 or if it is a different timeline.

I thought Logan was a great movie. But at the end of the day, it needs to exist in a timeline where the events of X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and The Wolverine all exist.

I know it wasn't in the final cut of the movie, but in a deleted scene, set during the dinner at the farmhouse, there is a mention made of Jean Grey and that Logan loved her and he had to kill her.

This means that, as originally scripted, Logan does NOT fit with the more hopeful ending of X-Men: Days of Future Past, because that movie negated X-Men: The Last Stand.

So I think the first three X-Men movies and the three Wolverine movies all go hand-in-hand. It's almost like they exist in a movies timeline where the X-Men: First Class movies never happened. Once you introduce those movies though, it starts to negate

A lot of people didn't like the inclusion of the Weapon-X scene in X-Men: Apocalypse because if didn't fit with the fact that in X-Men: Days of Future Past, the last time we saw 1975 Logan, he was getting rescued by Raven/Mystique, so how did he end up with Stryker in the Weapon-X program?

I theorize that X-Men: Apocalypse further splinters the timeline because of that Weapon-X scene and sets everything from Apocalypse forward on a timeline totally unconnected from the "happy" ending from Days of Future Past. This way the creators of all future X-Men movies, especially those with the McAvoy/Fassbender cast, can totally ignore all of the previously released movies with the Stewart/McKellan cast and branch off in a totally new/fresh direction.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 15, 2017, 09:32 AM »
Picked up the Blue-Ray & DVD set for Logan at Target the other day - just $12!  Was this movie that bad?  I haven't checked it out yet...

I liked it! I didn't get around to seeing it until May when Alamo Drafthouse held the one night Logan: Noir screening (the black and white version included with the Blu-Ray) and had a special Q&A with the director and Hugh Jackman afterwards. The room got a little dusty at the end.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 15, 2017, 07:17 PM »
I read Jessica Chastain is in talks to play a villain in Dark Phoenix...

Lillandra of the Shi'Ar empire.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 14, 2019, 04:29 PM »
So, anyone see DARK PHOENIX?

Anyone???

The final X-Men movie for awhile...except the New Mutants stuck in tinkering hell...I think it was filmed when Obama was president...the first term!!  :P

Anyway, it's not very good. Dark Phoenix, that is. Fassbender and McAvoy are good in it. It seems rather light for its 1 hour 54 minutes. 
No post credits or mid credits scenes.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #312 on: June 14, 2019, 07:44 PM »
I've heard it's not great.  Debating on whether or not to see it this weekend.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: June 15, 2019, 11:38 AM »
I’m done with Fox X-Men movies.  I saw some of Apocalypse on cable and it was just not good.  So I am checking out on X-Men films until they can get properly rebooted and incorporated into the MCU.... even if I do have a thing for Jessica Chastain!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: June 17, 2019, 02:45 PM »
It certainly doesn't live up to the first two movies in the series.  Probably on par or a bit worse than Apocalypse.   I'm not sure if this one or X3 is a better telling of the story or not, so that should paint the picture right there.  Captain Marvel was a better representation of the 90's.  I'm not sure they seemed to care as much considering how well they did the 60's and 70's and to some extent the 80's.  For whatever reason, they chose not to use the actual President like they did with Kennedy and Nixon.  They certainly didn't do enough to make the characters look older.  Xavier and Magneto should be ~30 years older than First Class and that certainly doesn't appear to be the case.  They should be approaching the look of Stewart and McKellen from the first movie, but it isn't even close.