Author Topic: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies  (Read 86448 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies
« Reply #30 on: August 5, 2013, 08:57 PM »
These rumors have been making the rounds the last couple weeks.  Apparently, WB is looking for more middle aged actors (30s to 40s) to play the next Batman for the Batman/Superman movie.  You can check out the full list here:

http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/batman-casting-rumors-1375718917-slideshow/batman-casting-photo-1375724563047.html

Current frontrunner is apparently Josh Brolin.  I've also read rumors that they are looking towards the Dark Knight Returns as a model.  Now, don't get me wrong, love the book - one of the all time greats, but as a fan, I'm kind of ready for a little lighter Batman.  Not goofy or stupid, just "comic booky" in a way.  I feel like the Nolan trilogy (which again, I love), already covered the super dark Batman stuff.  I'd like to have a big screen version where Robin, Batgirl, and maybe a little more comic booky Batcave could exist.  Again, I don't want the ridiculousness of the Batman Forever and Batman and Robin movies, but maybe something a little more fun.  I've said it before, but I love the tone of Batman: TAS.  A serious take without being depressing.  Anyways, the rumored list is at the linky above.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 6, 2013, 09:06 AM »
Agreed that the Nolan films, good as they were, ruined the chances of doing DKR properly. (You can rent the animated version though!)

This wounds me deeply, as outside of Watchmen and Swamp Thing, I feel DKR is far and above the best thing to ever come out of the DC universe. It would have been an epic, brutal live action movie.

As far as re-casting the part, I reject that totally. If Bale is dead set against reprising the role, you go straight to JGL. Otherwise what was the point of that whole last movie?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #32 on: August 6, 2013, 09:17 AM »
The whole last movie was the "hopeful" end of a contained trilogy.  No connection at all to the new film arc.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 6, 2013, 11:01 AM »
Adam West as Dark Knight Returns Batman.  Lady Gaga as Robin. Sir Ian McKellan as Alfred. Nick Nolte as Commissioner Gordon. Michael Keaton as the Joker.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 10:35 PM by Brian »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 10:52 PM »
I felt a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of voices
suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced...when they
found out that Ben Affleck will be the new Batman.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 11:03 PM »
I don't know. Affleck has actually turned into an interesting filmmaker/actor. He's not my first choice but it all depends on the approach. It's really soon after the Nolan films though and that's a long shadow for anyone to stand in.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 11:41 PM »
Funny since Affleck played George Reeves ('50's Superman) in Hollywoodland (which was not that good)...Diane Lane was in that, too. Reeves was having an affair with her characters...that's right, BATMAN IS DOING SUPERMAN'S MOM!!

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 09:02 AM »
I like Affleck quite a bit as an actor and director - but he's just about the antithesis of Batman.  I just can't see him being obsessive and driven like Batman should be.  He's too laid-back... too casual, seat-of-his-pants.

I can't see him pulling off the billionaire playboy angle, either.  Not that they've gotten that right in any film since Keaton.  Funny how the writers think that if you drive up to a party in an exotic sports car with a supermodel that you're automatically a billionaire playboy.  Doesn't matter if you walk around being creepy and anti-social...

Bruce Wayne ought to be gregarious and flaunt his wealth.  Faking it totally, of course... as a cover for his alter-ego.  But with most films he's the complete opposite.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 10:25 AM »
It wasn't too long ago that people were railing against Affleck for his role as Matt Murdock / Daredevil in the movie of the same name.  Granted, that was 10 years ago.  And I think that Ben Affleck has grown tremendously over the last decade by making some great choices as both an actor and a director.  Considering projects like Argo and The Town, I think that Ben Affleck has really grown.  Will he be the right fit for this project?  Will he be able to escape the shadow of his phony intensity that plagued Daredevil?  That remains to be seen.

For me, the question is whether the new film will attempt to pick up where The Dark Knight Rises left off.  Given the lengths that Marvel has gone to create a cohesive universe, will DC/Warner Brothers attempt to do the same and try to build some continuity between the Bale/Nolan trilogy and this new project?  I'd like to see that, because frankly I'm getting a little tired of the constant rebooting we're seeing with so many properties.  And I think the audience is, too.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 11:31 AM »
What I've read is that the Nolan Bat films are self-contained, and have no connection to the new Snyderverse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 01:32 PM »
Yes, but with Nolan on board as one of the producers & writers of Man of Steel, you've got to think that there's a possibility for linkage between the two story lines.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 02:07 PM »
IIRC Nolan himself said there were no story connections.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2013, 04:26 PM »
Jason Lee said it best..."that guy looks like a date rapist".

I'm out...

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2013, 04:42 PM »
It all makes sense. In Mallrats, Silent Bob dressed as Batman and Jason Lee (Banky) spoke the improbability of Lois Lane carrying Superman's kid.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird