Author Topic: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies  (Read 86446 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Batman v Superman / Justice League / DC Movies
« Reply #330 on: November 20, 2017, 03:32 PM »
I saw it Saturday.  My wife likes Wonder Woman and Jason Mamoa, so I didn't have a choice.

There were long stretches of a really bad movie.  Steppenwolf was full-tilt atrocious.  Up until he puts on his blue tights everything with Superman was awful.  "What's an excuse to make Superman try to kill the league?  Oh yeah - Pet Cemetery!"  All of Kansas was excruciating.  (not to mention Martha apparently drove there from Metropolis in like an hour).  All the time invested in the Chernobyl family so we can pay off a single gag - horrible decision. 

There was also a lot of inoffensive filler. 

There were probably 20 minutes of really great stuff.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #331 on: November 20, 2017, 06:34 PM »
Weekend actuals are in for JL:  $93,842,239    

That's lower than even their lowest estimates.  It must have bombed Sunday.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #332 on: November 20, 2017, 07:27 PM »
I will say many of the film's sins are absolved by the inclusion of both the Danny Elfman Batman 89 theme and the John Williams Superman theme. That was truly unexpected and great; I only wanted more.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 21, 2017, 01:14 AM »
Saw this tonight. It wasn't bad, but I was left thinking at the end that it was REALLY short. I was sitting there thinking "that's it?" It was like if The Avengers had about 45 minutes less time and got together because the script told them to.

The characters were all fine but the only ones you even really care about are the Big 3, who have already had movies dedicated to them.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: November 21, 2017, 06:49 AM »
My opinion of the movie is that they only needed to form the Justice League because Superman was dead and they needed to band together against a large threat.  Once Superman was resurrected and got his head on straight, the others really weren't needed.

At this point, I'm thinking the Teen Titans Go! movie is going to be better than anything in the DCEU.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #335 on: November 21, 2017, 07:45 AM »
One of the times I was most frustrated with the film was right after Superman arrived at the final battle.  We got like 30 seconds of awesome fighting.  Then all of a sudden they're like "Oh no - people are in danger!" and then Superman STOPS FIGHTING AND LEAVES.  We were finally, after almost 2 hours, getting to see what we wanted to see, and they cut it short.

Then when Supes comes back it's like he hits Steppenwolf twice and it's over.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 25, 2017, 11:59 AM »
Saw it yesterday and I guess my expectations were very low going in so I didn't think it was that bad.  I agree that the set up seemed very fast and the end 'battle' went by even faster, but I didn't think it was the colossal failure that folks are making it out to be.  I did find the animation of Steppenwolf to be distracting though.  They couldn't have done his close-ups with the real actor (minus the motion capture facial animation) and the fight sequences as CGI?  I couldn't suspend my disbelief long enough when he was talking.

Would be interested to see if we do get Snyder's director's cut at some point.  I've seen some articles where people are petitioning WB to release his version of the film.  Wonder if they would do like Fox did with the X-Men DoFP Rogue-cut home video release...

I thought The Flash was by far the best new character of the three that were added, but was very happy we got a 'Boo-ya' out of Cyborg near the end.

Funniest sequence goes to Aquaman on the way to the final battle. 
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2017, 12:51 PM »
I didn’t think it was terrible, didn’t think it was great. There were plenty of cool moments but it is obvious this is the bastard child of two creators.

I loved the use of the 89 Batman and the 78 Superman themes. Surprisingly, I really like the Flash. They explained that goofy costume.  The Supes/ Flash racing bits were gold.  WW is by a mile the star jewel of this franchise though. 

Aquaman, dud. Cyborg was OK. I really like that Superman was less grim and more lighthearted.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 29, 2017, 06:33 PM »
Saw it today. It was entertaining enough, but not great. Probably benefit from a longer cut.

Yeah, Steppenwolf was meh. Ciaran Hinds mumbles some lines...actually there were a few lines I was like "WHAT?" from Gadot and Batfleck, as well.

All the amazon costume and whatever complaints seemed like haters wanting to hate, this film already had a huge hate tab built up before release.  Maybe Amazon fashions change. They are women, after all.  :P

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 29, 2017, 09:08 PM »
I saw JL over the weekend and enjoyed it.  I think it's better than all the flack it's been getting.  I do think it would have benefitted giving the other 3 (or at least 2) their own stand-alone/backstory movie instead of trying to put them all in a two hour movie, where there is enough going on.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 12, 2018, 10:15 AM »
So Warner Brothers think that THIS was one of their problems with the DC universe?

THE HOLLYWOOD REPORTER:  Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up (Exclusive)
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: September 13, 2018, 07:28 AM »
They might as well pack up shop or just reboot the whole thing.  If Marvel can keep Downey, Chris Evans, etc. going this long and DC can't even keep a Superman or a Batman the same for more than three movies, they might as well give up.  I think Banner is really the only major casting change in Marvel.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 13, 2018, 10:06 AM »
There are mixed reports on this now, with some people saying Cavill is still playing Superman.

What a mess.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #343 on: September 13, 2018, 11:35 AM »
Perhaps the studio execs should stop micro-managing their movies.  That's clearly where the problems are.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 14, 2018, 11:15 PM »
  I think Banner is really the only major casting change in Marvel.

Rhodey/War Machine? Terrence Howard, the forgotten non-Avenger!