Author Topic: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 5  (Read 68012 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 5
« Reply #30 on: October 9, 2013, 10:54 PM »
Farr's vest is removable just like Hoth Leia's was.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 9, 2013, 11:02 PM »
Yoda and Luke nice evolution of sculpt
only fix the groin pubis in Luke
and Yoda should come with pants.

Toryn and Wedge could have profit from new bodies instead of reused.

The faces are excellent, hope the mold resists the tons of copies and wonīt spoil mass production.

I donīt like an ep iii vader, it ruins the ot focused wave. They could have released a Dagobah Vader.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: October 9, 2013, 11:38 PM »
I'll wait for final samples before I start criticizing joints/deco, but man these look great.  Like others have said, a huge chuck of the JediDefender ESB Wishlist wiped out in one shot. :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #33 on: October 9, 2013, 11:46 PM »
Very VERY prototype-ish stuff because of the hand-painted details and whatnot.  I wouldn't worry...

I don't want them to delve TOO deep into Marvel articulation, as I'm not a fan of how a lot of it looks...  Luke needs that "tight to the chest" ability so I'm hoping that's something they do less of ultimately, but whatever...  I think it looks good really, but that's just me I guess.   :-\

I think there's a lot to like here.  I'm going to PROBABLY replace the Snow Officer's kama (I'll want more than one anyway!), and I may also replace Wedge's hands if those remain, but I wouldn't be shocked if they don't.

I'm ok with Luke's sculpt being re-used for the most part only because Wedge is ultimately pretty short like Luke, and art for him (EU as it may be) implies he's sporting the same gunslinger holster Luke has.

Anyway, I dig dig dig it all.  Yoda's delicious.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 12:38 AM »
Looks like G.I. Joe hip articulation design is being incorporated into the SW line. Kind of amalgam of Marvel, SW and Joe. I like it - if used on the proper figures.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 01:12 AM »
Hasbro has released some press images for Luke, Yoda, Snowtrooper Commander, and Torryn.  Click the thumbnails to check them out!

Pictures seem to indicate some alternate hands for Luke (flat or saber holding right hand), no guarantee that the alternate hand makes the final cut though.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:20 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 01:18 AM »
I still can't get over the quality of that Yoda. By that image, you'd be hard pressed to identify what scale it is. Looks like Farr's comm gear/headset is removable which is nice from an accessory/customizing standpoint.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:42 AM by Jayson »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 01:30 AM »
Luke's flat hands have a ball-joint in them...   :D

I thought Luke's legs didn't look terribly different from the last TVC Luke Bespin we got, no?  The ankles look to have that dual movement to them though, like some of the GI Joes have (Ninjas and "ultimate" figs mostly).

there's some serious gapping at the joints but I see that on a lot of the early prototype images they put out...  I'm imagining that'll be tightened up a good bit by the time it releases.

Like the holster...  The details they caught are dandy.

I swear this is (mostly) what I had in mind piece for piece to do my own Dagobah Training Luke...  I started mulling it over the day I got the OTC figure.  That pack...  I love it.  I love just the idea of the pack being cloth and looking good.

Yoda's gonna look boss riding around on Luke's back talking Sith and the Darkside.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 01:49 AM »
Luke's flat hands have a ball-joint in them...   

I thought Luke's legs didn't look terribly different from the last TVC Luke Bespin we got, no?  The ankles look to have that dual movement to them though, like some of the GI Joes have (Ninjas and "ultimate" figs mostly).

The legs and hips are a complete retool. I love the inclusion of the rocker "Vonner" ankles.  As for the hands, clearly they are showing 2 different right hands: one for gripping his lightsaber or blaster, the other "Force hand" attempting to raise the X-wing from the swamp. I'll be surprised if both make the cut because I don't recall hands ever being used as switchout pieces unless they were sculpted to include a weapon of some sort.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 03:10 AM by Jayson »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 02:37 AM »
I didn't mean that they're re-used, but I meant that they still look Star Wars styled...  The hips look like the TVC Luke's hips I meant...  I don't see it looking so GI Joe/Marvel styled was what I was saying.  The elbows are though for sure, and the ankles, but I totally dig those additions...  If they're gonna charge a premium for a  line, that line should deliver premium stuff.

Extra hands are something I REALLY hope we see more often...  miniature Sideshow Figures is what I'd like to see, for the price these are.

That 6" Han may get me to bite on a 6" figure because that's what it basically is... a  little Sideshow looking figure.  I just wish the packaging was cooler and more like a little window box with a flap...  Kinda like the Sideshow figs, or the old POTF2 12".

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 04:39 AM »
I'm... a little underwhelmed even though I know these are prototypes. Can Torryn's arms even move? Do we really need a redone Snowtrooper?

Not sure what to think of Yoda yet. Looks great in that shot of him in the backpack but the scale looks off in that individual picture. Hopefully the final result is more like the Clone Wars SA Yoda, which I still consider to be the "ultimate" 3.75 inch Yoda.

Luke looks awesome though, even though my OCD of having all figures have the same style of articulation will hate it. :P

It's also hard for me to grasp that the last Dagobah Luke and Yoda came out ten years ago.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 10:59 AM »
I hope to all things holy that the factory can recreate the eyes of Yoda per the sample shown.  Part of the problem with most of the PT and recent other Yoda figures is the eyes...they are small dots.  To me almost all of the character that the OT puppet portrayed was through the Einsteinian eyes

This was something they used to NAIL back in the POTF2 days...again here's to hoping

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 11:02 AM »
I'll be surprised if both make the cut because I don't recall hands ever being used as switchout pieces unless they were sculpted to include a weapon of some sort.

Ponda Baba had switch out hands

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 11:22 AM »
That's right! I totally forgot about him.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2013, 02:28 PM »
Wow, its amazing how much a nicely done wave of figures can turn things around - at least for me.  Just a couple of days ago I was about to log in here to post how this is maybe the most bored I have been with Star Wars collecting for quite some time, maybe ever.  The 3 3/4" line just wasn't getting me with the first couple waves, and aside from some neat exclusives (Slave I, Ewok Catapult, Scanning Crew sets) and the 6" line, there just wasn't much to be excited about, particularly for an entire year.  Now we get images of Wave 4, and that is pretty much forgotten.  I hope this is the route we see taken for the rest of 2014, because these look pretty amazing.

The Luke and Yoda alone would have sold me, they both look great and I hope the production pieces look as nice as these early shots do.  I was a fan of the OTC Luke, but it is nice to see it done up with all the articulation and detail they can put into a figure these days.  I liked the OTC Yoda well enough as well, but it just didn't seem like they had really nailed the Original Trilogy Yoda with the previous attempts.  This one looks about perfect.  Throw in Toryn Farr, a nifty Snowtrooper, a requested Wedge Antilles, and it is all pretty well done.  Aside from the ROTS Vader, it is pretty much a "themed" wave again.  Can't wait for these figures to hit.  I haven't been preordering the waves online with the Black Series yet, because I've really been picking and choosing, but I won't hesitate for this one :).