Author Topic: 2013 Japan Blind-Box Saga Legends Figures  (Read 17731 times)

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Japan Blind-Box Saga Legends Figures
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 11:40 AM »
I am not a fan of blind packed items, especially when they don't have some sort of identifying codes, so I personally would not be in favor of concept for figures. I have had a hard enough time finding decent paint apps on most of the Legends and Mission Series figures. Blind packs probably would have kept me from collecting the figures altogether.

That being said... I bet an OT-themed series would do well here in the States. Stormie, Luke, Vader, 3PO, Fett, etc. If Hasbro got them out for $4 or $5, either in boxes like the Japanese figures or bagged, they could be a lot of fun.

Expanding upon Jesse's droid idea, what would you guys think about blind packed Build-A-Droid parts? Imagine the parts for an astro split across four separate bags, at maybe $2-$3 per bag. That could be a solid way to expand the Disney concept to everyone.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 12:40 PM »
Expanding upon Jesse's droid idea, what would you guys think about blind packed Build-A-Droid parts? Imagine the parts for an astro split across four separate bags, at maybe $2-$3 per bag. That could be a solid way to expand the Disney concept to everyone.

That is a great idea! Anything they can do to expand the access to those things would be welcomed, I think.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 01:39 PM »
I like these figures, Mission Series figures, 5 POA.

However, I do not get the allure of blind boxing these.  Does it somehow save big dollars on packaging costs so they can be offered for lots less?  Do people like the excitement of opening something when they aren't sure what is inside?

It seems like all the SW blind boxed items historically have all been from Japan.  Does this somehow appeal to the Japanese culture?  (I know Lego does this now, but not with SW).

I much prefer to be able to inspect the figures for paint job, get a sense for the sculpt, play value, etc.  Blind boxing just seems unnecessary and counterproductive. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2014, 12:43 AM »
Like you said Dave, I think that it's such an established practice in Japan, so many collectors over there simply expect it and must enjoy the 'unknown' aspect.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2014, 02:49 AM »
Yeah there's tons of that stuff in Japan but also China.  For a lower cost item I like it.

I like the Build A Droid part idea too...  I think it'd be kind of fun and different. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2014, 04:57 PM »
However, I do not get the allure of blind boxing these.  Does it somehow save big dollars on packaging costs so they can be offered for lots less?  Do people like the excitement of opening something when they aren't sure what is inside?

It is fairly common in Asia from what I've read, so consumers have come to expect it.   Given the wacky game shows that we often see coming out of those markets, I get the sense that their culture is more into gambling or games than most.  But I think its less about the consumer and more bout the manufacturer.  If you're trying to buy a dozen figures and have to buy 18 packs (or more) to get them all, there's a nice chunk of  incremental sales that wouldn't have happened with clear packaging.  That probably more than makes up for people who quite the line out of frustration.  They're counting more on the very loyal buyers and impulse purchases than the middle-ground of consumers, whereas we tend to do the opposite in the US.  Honestly, I bet Hasbro would sell more product here if they switched to blind box star wars.  Retailers probably like it too, as its more sales for them and the inventory probably clears out faster as consumers have the chance to get something they want in every package. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today