Author Topic: 2013 Japan Blind-Box Saga Legends Figures  (Read 17730 times)

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
2013 Japan Blind-Box Saga Legends Figures
« on: August 31, 2013, 11:31 AM »
Weirdness....Legends are blind boxed in Japan, including the mission figures, I guess.

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=12337

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Japan Blind-Box Saga Legends Figures
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 12:18 PM »
I had heard about that months ago but I didn't realize it included MS too. I wonder if the Sith eyes Anakin is a chase figure?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 12:19 PM »
That's how Hot Toys Snap Kit figures worked... I'm not surprised since these are like checkout things over there.  Kinda cool if cheap but if not (which IMO $6 is not) I'd be wary of a gimmick like that.  I dig the idea kinda tho.  Imagine that here?  Collectors heads would explode. :D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 04:43 PM »
Anything blind bag/boxed over $3 or is too much to spend on chance, maybe $4 if it's something substantial (as in "not tiny unposeable rubber mini figures"). I got a playmobil guy on sale for $3 but I figured out which one it was based on feel. And at least those and Lego minifigs you can parts swap.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: September 3, 2013, 03:18 PM »
Just catching up on some news from last week and saw these.  Maybe it's because I have a soft-spot for Japanese trading figures (I <3 Kubricks :-*), but it seems like a really unique, market-specific way to get these cheaper figures out there to kids.

Like others have said, collectors here in the USA would freak out, but over there where kids are already used to these type of 'trading figure' sets, I can totally see it working. 

Anything blind bag/boxed over $3 or is too much to spend on chance
Kinda cool if cheap but if not (which IMO $6 is not)

If $6 is too much for you to blind-box, be glad you guys aren't Kubrick/be@rbrick collectors then. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: September 3, 2013, 06:18 PM »
Already up on you on that, as I never even remotely considered the Kubrick craze something I was into, haha... 

I think $3 (Lego guys) is a dandy deal...  I could see the SW figures for $4, and I'd be into them for that...  For $6 I wanna see.

$4 burning a hole in my pocket though...  I'd buy blind-bagged stuff.

I'm just getting home to read news/look at stuff thoroughly myself Jeff, and I'm looking at these again, and while I have read some negative response to these, honestly, for the right price, I think they're cool and would do well sucking kids in...

Imagine these for $4 at 5 Below!  Tell me you're not buying, just to buy?  I do that with Legos...  why not figures to a line I already have a ****load of?  Take my chances on fodder figures, or whatnot...  I'd be into it.  I wouldn't go nuts buying everything this way, but honestly, I kinda wish this is how these were marketed all together for a slightly lesser price...  Packaging costs should get them to $4, right?   Bag them...  like Legos.  I'd be into it.

It's, to me, like those littel fighter pod guys in bubble gum machines.  I, 9 chances out of 10, would stop and put change in to get them for $.50 or whatever.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: September 3, 2013, 08:28 PM »
I'd be all over something like this. I think it's cool and it reminds me a little of the vintage tomy (takara?) boxed figures. I have a friend in Japan helping me obtain a case of these.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: September 3, 2013, 08:58 PM »
Talked about these elsewhere, but Hot Toys Snap Kit figures were sold this way...  Not only a highly detailed action figure, but also a "kit" you built...  And the Aliens ones were sold in 1/6 scale Alien eggs to boot, that you could put with 1/6 figures assuming you bought those too...

Like I said, if I already own a buttload of figures that are like these, why not $4 blind pack ones?  It would only work if they didn't have carded ones IMO, but I think it's a clear gimmick that works well at the checkout and would get the kids into it...  Piss off adults?  Sure.  But since when did that matter?

It's sorta funny how when it annoys you it's bad for the hobby.  When it doesn't, it isn't.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 4, 2013, 08:16 AM »
I think they should toss ten random figures in a header bag with 10 random accessories, sell them like army men.  :P

I've bought random GI JOE figure lots from China a couple of times, and that was mostly disappointing, probably because the 2002-2006 New sculpt/G2 era lost its appeal to me. And about 7/10 of the random figures are those style. They are rarely cheap enough to take the risk (had to be well under $2 a figure for me). It's kind of like playing the lottery, only you actually get something besides a piece of paper. Some of those somethings might have factory grime on them, or even marker writing. Or the wrong parts. Never tried the random SW lots, because they are never cheap enough (and sellers who sell them seem to be smart enough to pick out better figures to sell in lots by themselves.)

So random chance has a fun appeal to a point.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 4, 2013, 09:22 AM »
I see a lot of pro opinions on this, and nary a con, so allow me to humbly offer an opposing viewpoint.

I think blind boxing/bagging ANY toy is a complete rip-off and companies just use this stupid tactic to stick consumers with a bunch of crap they don't need or want.

Just make a good product and sell it at a good price. I don't see the need to trick someone into buying something they already have. Any sense of excitement or surprise IMO is going to be quickly snuffed out by disappointment over opening your 14th or 15th Anakin in a row when all you wanted was Captain Rex.

The only thing that impresses me about this merchandising gimmick is that any company was ever able to get consumers to buy into this nonsense. I went through this a few years ago with the Kid Robot Adult Swim stuff and it was a nightmare. You just end up having to go to eBay and overpaying to get the one you really want, and it pretty much destroys any possibility of being a carded collector.

Maybe I'm not the target audience for this, and that is fine, and if they want to sell this swag over in Japan it's no skin off my nose. But I get nervous when I see people talking this up in the States becuase it would be a nightmare for collectors over here, I truly believe that. Please let's not give Hasbro any more ideas on ways to screw us over.

Would anyone really want blind boxed groceries? or DVD's? or comics? I don't see how toys are any different.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #10 on: September 4, 2013, 10:06 AM »
Would anyone really want blind boxed groceries? or DVD's? or comics? I don't see how toys are any different.

Sports/trading card collectors have been dealing with blind packaging for years and the only way (usually) to complete sets was to buy complete boxes of cards.

Ultimately, it comes down to choice. Whether it be LEGO, Kubricks, Fighter Pods, KRE-Os or whatever, the collector is the one making the decision to participate in the line.

Hasbro has given blind bag collectors for the GI Joe and Transformers KRE-O line figures "cheat codes" on each bag in each series to ensure that your aren't doubling up on any one character. Now, if only LEGO would be so generous.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: September 4, 2013, 02:26 PM »
The sack feel works for me...   :-X

But back to the points brought up...  There's not "getting rid of something they don't want" here...  It's just marketing.  And the blind packaging seems to appeal to kids will, which is important IMO.  I think at an under $5 price, these more simplistic figures would do well...  In bags.  Boxes would be trickier and theft would become a problem.  But in non resealable bags they're ideal for everyone.

Feel for what you want...  If hasbro doesnt intentionally short pack a figure everyone would have an Equal shot...  Feel the bags for what you want as a collector or order the cases and be guaranteed a set.

As of right now, 2 packs and $6 carded stuff isn't my thing...  Blind packs for a lil less though and I'd buy...  And join the hoards of kids that I think would as well.

I don't collect food, or DVDs, so for me the analogy is moot...  I don't collect comics either so can't really say on that, but most people I know subscribe to them anymore.  But I do collect lego mini figs and have no issue getting what I want when they come out unless its an intentionally shorted figure ala Mr. Gold.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2013, 02:28 PM by Jesse James »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 4, 2013, 03:01 PM »
Yeah, the sports card thing is a better analogy, I recall that was pretty frustrating too. I guess I can't help but be skeptical that they would produce an equal # of all figures and distribute them evenly. When you start to introduce that whole "chase" angle it gets even worse.

And I know it seems like an arbitrary line to draw in the sand for a grown up collector of action figures, but I'm not ready to stoop to "Weird groping-toys-on-endcap" guy. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not the way I want to roll with my collecting, lol) ;)

It's all good, if people dig them, enjoy.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: September 4, 2013, 07:34 PM »
Lego doesn't really short too many...  Certainly not to the point where they're impossible to find save for Mr. Gold, which I kind of just don't even acknowledge...

As far as groping the packaging to find what you want, everyone who collects lego does it, or trades, to get their finals...  But, I'd also say SW figuers would be far, far easier to distinguish than the fairly standard Lego figure shape/size...  Those, generally you need to find out the accessory or a very specific part.  Much more time consuming and till you do it all the time it's really more of an art I've found.  My gf's kids marvel at my abilities to get what we all want in one quick swoop. :P

The SW figures...  Just a quick feel of the head would basically tell you who you have, 99% of the time.

Blind packaging is more a kid-attraction thing, but if it works why not?  Plus they should by all accounts be able to do them cheaper, as packaging is expensive, especially the labor-intensive style Hasbro is using on MS and Legends right now with all the folded over stuff and taping.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 4, 2013, 08:14 PM »
The SW figures...  Just a quick feel of the head would basically tell you who you have, 99% of the time.

With clone repaints, I think those odds drop to around 75%.  ;)

While I don't mind the blind packaging for most lines (Lego, Kre-O, etc.) due to the lower prices and relative lack of repetition, I would be annoyed if blind boxed Star Wars (or any) figures became the norm over here. At $6+, I want to know what I am getting, especially since I own so many of the characters already.

If Hasbro wants to try something blind packaged for the action figure line here in the States, I think small characters/droids (Mouse Droid, Salacious Crumb, Nunas) or accessory packages (like the Legends Clone lockers) would be neat. Otherwise I hope the blind packaging will remain an overseas novelty.