Author Topic: LEGO #2, Hasbro #3  (Read 5918 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
LEGO #2, Hasbro #3
« on: September 5, 2013, 12:52 PM »
LEGO Beats Hasbro as World’s No. 2 Toymaker

First half of the year results for the big three:
Mattel: $2.16b
LEGO: $1.84b
Hasbro: $1.43b

LEGO has been knocking on Hasbro's door for a while, looks like they finally passed them. It will be interesting to hear Hasbro's spin on this when they have their big Investor Day presentations next week... 
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: LEGO #2, Hasbro #3
« Reply #1 on: September 5, 2013, 02:08 PM »
Lego puts out a lot better and more consistent product than Hasbro.  Also, Lego is lot easier to find and they actually sell their new product on their website.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 5, 2013, 03:50 PM »
Lego's theme parks are really fun!
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline SnTrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 5, 2013, 04:32 PM »
I would guess that the multimillions that they gave Disney to extend their Marvel license to 2020 and include the new movies in the Star Wars licenses played a part in this.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 5, 2013, 07:00 PM »
Lego was actually number 2 for all of 2012 on sales and when you look at the net income they were number 1, beating Mattel by about $215 million.

It won't be a big surprise if they're at least number 2 again this year with Hasbro not really offering anything that would push them up the ladder.  They had no Star Wars for 2/3 of the year, Transformers had no movie, the GI Joe line was a carry-over from last year and really only got 1 extra wave at retail, the Iron Man and Wolverine lines were reduced and there wasn't really any new Avengers stuff.  I'd be surprised if games, girls toys (which have still been strong for them) and NERF can really make them competitive. Or Angry Birds...

Here's an indication of how much respect Lego has, IMO; my local Walmart has barely 15 feet of traditional action figure space left in their toy aisle while Lego has one side of an ENTIRE aisle...something like 40 - 50 feet. 

Every year at Christmas time, my Target nearly sells out of all Lego, across the board.  You'll be lucky to find a dozen leftover stets, total, by Christmas Eve.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 5, 2013, 09:10 PM »
"Has' Blows It: Kids Say 'No' to GI JOE, 'Yes' to Lego."

In other news, PLAYMATES still in business...how many times can they reinvent Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? A LOT, THEY HOPE.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2013, 08:54 AM »
There's really no comparison. Lego has a solid product, they make good selections for toys because they understand what people want and what they do best. You can find their products easily in stores and they always have a steady stream of new stuff coming out.

Hasbro on the other hand is all over the place trying to figure out what kind of toys they want to make. Instead of sticking with action figures and making that their focus they waste an inordinate amount of time and money chasing the next big thing, which usually means piggybacking off some flavor of the week property (Angry Birds) or ripping off some other successful line ala Squinkies, Amp'd, etc.

No brand identity or seeming direction, IMO.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2013, 10:13 AM »
I see Lego as a really strong toy and company. It's good for kids to have a creative toy where they can build and use their imagination. So many of the toys out there suck all of the imagination out of their play with electronics and speech that they are not fun to play with beyond the initial wow factor.

My six year old is always building something with his legos. It helps his hand-eye coordination and he uses his imagination to build something and then come up with stories for his creations. He is still obsessed with the TMNT. He likes to use his dupo legos to make playsets for them. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2013, 10:22 AM »
The other beauty of LEGO besides world creation and cross functionality (you wouldn't believe how many LOTR vs Harry Potter vs Avenger battles have happened in my kids bedroom) is that while a little spendy you often get multiple figures, a vehicle and a playset which even amps up the wow factor even more.

Eric's point of sell through is spot on, Target can even keep up with demand.

Jeff pointed out somewhere that the death of Hasbro SW as we know it is directly correlated to the rise of SW Lego...I never thought about that before but it is really true
« Last Edit: September 6, 2013, 10:22 AM by Scott »

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 6, 2013, 11:00 AM »
I think another thing that helps Lego is that they retire sets.  The 2014 set list looks like a lot or rehashes, but they are items that haven't been around for years.  Hasbro doesn't hesitate to have three Luke or Vader figures out at the same time.  The Greatest Hits stuff has killed Hasbro.  The only thing I ever see at stores is GH and whatever was the first wave of the year.  I am still seeing TPM wave vintage figures on the pegs.  With Lego, you almost always see the new product when it comes out.  I can't think of anything Hasbro has done in the past five to ten years that is as cool as the Lego Death Star and Ewoks Village sets.  Maybe the Big Millennium Falcon is as cool, but that Death Star set is hard to beat.  I would love to see a Hasbro set with that many play features.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 6, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Lego puts out a lot better and more consistent product than Hasbro.  Also, Lego is lot easier to find and they actually sell their new product on their website.

Change that to...
]
Lego puts out a lot better and more consistent product than unlike Hasbro.

Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 6, 2013, 01:18 PM »

Change that to...
]
Lego puts out a lot better and more consistent product than unlike Hasbro.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 6, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Another thing I forgot to add is quality control. LEGO must have their toys made in some magical fairy land because they always seem to have the correct paint apps, the boxes aren't falling apart on the shelves, etc.

Hasbro seems to really struggle to maintain quality across all their lines. They use the wrong images, inferior packaging, sloppy paint apps, you name it. It just comes across as half-assed.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #13 on: September 6, 2013, 02:15 PM »
One factor there is that LEGO can afford to have exceptional QC because LEGO sets cost WAY more than Hasbro toys.  I'm sure if Hasbro could charge $20 for a 3.75" figure, the QC would be amazing.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 6, 2013, 02:26 PM »
One factor there is that LEGO can afford to have exceptional QC because LEGO sets cost WAY more than Hasbro toys.  I'm sure if Hasbro could charge $20 for a 3.75" figure, the QC would be amazing.

They are not that far off from that price point now.  Even at $10/figure, I don't think the bubbles should be falling off.