Author Topic: LEGO #2, Hasbro #3  (Read 5916 times)

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: LEGO #2, Hasbro #3
« Reply #15 on: September 6, 2013, 02:32 PM »
Another thing I forgot to add is quality control. LEGO must have their toys made in some magical fairy land because they always seem to have the correct paint apps, the boxes aren't falling apart on the shelves, etc.

Hasbro seems to really struggle to maintain quality across all their lines. They use the wrong images, inferior packaging, sloppy paint apps, you name it. It just comes across as half-assed.

I have purchased just about every Star Wars Lego set.  I have been a bit behind on my building, but I finally started building the large Imperial Shuttle set a few weeks ago.  This is the first set I have encountered that was actually missing pieces.  They put in two copies of one bag of pieces (that should not have had two copies) and missed one bag.  I called customer service and they had my missing parts shipped to me at no cost about two weeks later (and they shipped from Denmark).  The real neat thing is they have everything on their computer and can tell you how many bags came in the set and can virtually open each bag in the set on the computer and tell you what should be in each bag.  With over 100 unique part types in the set, it made it much easier than taking an inventory off of the parts list.  The whole call probably took less than 10 minutes.  I have never had to call Hasbro CS, but I doubt they could beat the department at Lego.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 6, 2013, 03:22 PM »
Hasbro's customer service is

1. box it up and return it to store for exchange.

or

2. we'll send you a prepaid mailing label so you can mail it to us.

and/or

3. Send you an item of equal value, but probably not the same item.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2013, 03:23 PM by Scockery »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 7, 2013, 08:40 AM »
I think Lego produces a higher quality product and has clearly put more thought into collector and kid functionality.  The Death Star is a fantastic example of a great collectible with dozens of moving parts and play features for kids.  That said, I still think figures have a much broader appeal than lego sets.  In fact, most of the Lego collectors I know are more concerned about the mini-fugres than the ships and playsets. 

Hasbro and Lego have numerous lines outside of Star Wars, but strictly from a Star Wars perspective, Hasbro's had literally nothing available for multiple years now.  Quality differences, product design, profit margin, etc. doesn't really matter when you aren't putting product on the shelf.  It's not like Lego suddently changed their gameplan - they've had the same quality product out for a long time now.  The reason that they're kicking Hasbro's butt is simply making cool stuff available to the consumer through their site, their owned stores, and through pretty much every retailer possible.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 9, 2013, 01:41 PM »
Does Lego ever break out their sales by product line?  Do we have any idea on how much SW stuff Lego sells vs. Hasbro? 

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 02:12 AM »
For 2012, Lego said that their 2 best selling properties were Star Wars and City with Ninjago being 3rd.  But their annual report didn't give percentages or anything to break it down more.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 11:12 AM »
Walmart uses kid-test groups to rate the hot holiday toys this year:

http://money.msn.com/business-news/article.aspx?feed=AP&date=20130912&id=16890746

They don't give the full Top-20 list in this article, but I'm willing to bet Angry Birds did not make the cut.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 11:15 PM »
If you go to Walmart's website you can see all of the stuff they chose.  None of it is anything we'd be interested in.  It's all actual toy stuff and for younger kids.  The Ninja Turtles sewer playset made it, though, and that's probably the closest thing to a collectible on the list.

No Lego, no Angry Birds, nothing from the action figure aisle...definitely nothing Star Wars.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 09:03 AM »
The Ninja Turtles sewer playset made it, though, and that's probably the closest thing to a collectible on the list.

LOL, and Hasbro maintains kids don't want playsets. NOT!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 09:25 AM »
My son really wants that Turtles playset. It's bigger than him! Imagine a Death Star playset that tall.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 09:26 AM by Master_Phruby »
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours