Author Topic: NFL 2013-2014  (Read 17264 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: NFL 2013-2014
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2013, 08:35 AM »
The problem is that you should not be allowed to hit the QB if he does not have the ball. The NFL Refs inexplicably green-lighted this last week for some reason. The onus is now on the QB to clearly show he does not have the ball in that scenario, which should be the defender's responsiblity to figure it out.

While I agree that hitting the QB has always been a basic tenet of pro football, this latest round of talk sounds like it is going a little too far. The NFL should realize that the star QB is their cash cow, and you can't just declare open season on those guys because of the advent of the read-option.

If the refs want to change the interpretation of the rules to mute the impact of new offensive schemes, I really look forward to seeing what they come up with for the Eagles. That was some Arena league stuff there.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 11:11 AM »
I don't know how you can keep making rules that put the onus on when defenders can and cannot defend though.  If the QB is trying to fake having the ball or is at the wrong angle to the defender, is it really fair to make the defender figure that out before touching him?  Everyone else out there is fair game for a hit...I get that the QB is critical to the team, but I'm not sure I agree with all these special  privileges.  It's like we're back at the Revolutionary War, where you weren't supposed to shoot any commanding officers - just troops. 

On a similar topic, I wish the NFL would change their absurd policy on receiving TDs (AKA the "We Hate Calvin Johnson Rule").  It makes no sense to me that a wideout can catch the ball flying into the endzone, with clear possession, landing several feet inside the line, but the ball touching the ground negates the score.  Then at the same time, any player running with the ball just has to get the very tip of the ball across the very top of the white line or barely touch the orange cone to get the TD.  Be consistent NFL.  That Detroit game was a perfect example of why this needs to change.  Calvin clearly has possession flying into the endzone, but gets no score.  Joique Bell barely makes it to the stripe before the ball is knocked out to a Viking, but that's 6pts for the Lions?  Ridiculous.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 12:01 PM »

Bad call ref  :o

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 12:12 PM »
No ****. That was awful.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 08:25 PM »
New 2013 rules state that you can now fully mug a player if it's the last play of the game.   ::)  Patriots got robbed last night.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 02:19 PM »
New 2012 rules state that you can now fully mug a player if it's the last play of the game.   ::)  Packers got robbed last night.

Fixed that for you... Remember that one against Seattle?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2013, 05:15 PM »
New 2012 rules state that you can now fully mug a player if it's the last play of the game.   ::)  Packers got robbed last night.

Yeah, and that was with those horrible replacement refs.  Good thing we got the regular refs back.   :o

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 01:39 AM »

Yeah, and that was with those horrible replacement refs.  Good thing we got the regular refs back.   :o

That established the rule that if you catch the guy who catches the ball, than it's a catch!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Sybeck1

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2013, 12:34 AM »
What a comeback tonightfor the pats

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2013, 10:04 AM »
I think that last night should put to be the "who is better?" conversation to bed, but it won't.  Manning gets the respect from the league that Brady deserves.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 02:25 PM »
How does that game settle who is better?  The only reason the Pats won it is because of a goofy special teams mistake on a punt near the end of overtime.  That game was headed for a tie, which tells me these two are pretty evenly matched.  Just like the Packers and Vikings are equally craptastic right now.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:23 PM by JediJman »

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 02:52 PM »
???  Did you watch the game? The Bronco's defense was responsible for most of the early lead they had (fumble returned for a TD, strip sack putting them in position for a TD).  Then for around 40 or more minutes of the game until that last TD drive it was like Manning wasn't there.  Brady on the other hand had a fantastic second half.  Look at the game stats.  Brady rose to the occasion, Manning folded.  If we want to say it was a goofy play that won NE the game the obvious counter is that there would have been no OT if not for a goofy 1st quarter.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 04:11 PM »
???  Did you watch the game? The Bronco's defense was responsible for most of the early lead they had (fumble returned for a TD, strip sack putting them in position for a TD).  Then for around 40 or more minutes of the game until that last TD drive it was like Manning wasn't there.  Brady on the other hand had a fantastic second half.  Look at the game stats.  Brady rose to the occasion, Manning folded.  If we want to say it was a goofy play that won NE the game the obvious counter is that there would have been no OT if not for a goofy 1st quarter.

How can you compare one messed up play that directly lead to an overtime win to an entire first quarter full of plays?   ???  I watched the game and I think you're oversimplifying the result.  Here's what I saw:

#1 - Brady had a lousy first half, unable to even lead his team to a field goal in the first 30.  Manning didn't have a stellar first half either, but the offense scored three times and he threw a TD pass, unlike Brady.

#2  - Belichick's M.O. is taking away the top strength of whoever he faces.  He always sacrifices some aspect of the game to diminish the threat elsewhere.  Last night he focused on stopping Manning.  There's a reason Knowshon Moreno had a career 224 rushing yards and it isn't that Moreno is the next AP. 

#3 - Tout the Denver defense all you like - Manning had his share of disadvantages as well.  As I recall, Brady was back at full strength with all his weapons, while Manning had to play without last minute scratch J. Thomas, one of the top TEs in the league.

#4 - The last 6 drives prior to the overtime win were punts (3 for each team).  That doesn't speak domination, that speaks parity.  Neither team was going anywhere with the ball, so if that punt recovery hadn't fallen into the Patriots lap, there's no doubt in my mind that the game would have ended in a tie.

As for respect, I sure haven't seen Manning glorified any more or less than Brady.  Manning is out there more because he's more active with endorsements and conversational.  Brady and the rest of the Pats never really offer much up, just like MT's interview with him after the game.  I recall at the start of the season though that Brady was ranked #1 headed into the year despite having practically no receiving weapons at all.  Sounds like pretty good street cred to me.  I'd argue that A. Rodgers gets way less respect than either of these guys, but just look at how the Packers have completely folded without him over the last month.   

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 8, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Watching the snow fall at the Lions - Eagles and Vikings - Ravens games right now.  Damn, I love watching football in the snow!!!!!!!!!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 8, 2013, 01:34 PM »
Watching the snow fall at the Lions - Eagles and Vikings - Ravens games right now.  Damn, I love watching football in the snow!!!!!!!!!

I think it's a farce. This is not professional football (yes I know you could say the Vikings haven't played professional football all year).
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within