Author Topic: Buying a New Computer?  (Read 12230 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a New Computer?
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2005, 01:48 AM »
We bought a Linksys (sp?) wireless router for our place - I think we paid about $90.00 for the router and a wireless card for the laptop - and Comp USA installed it and set up the network for free.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2005, 10:43 AM »
We've been eyeing a Mac G4 Ibook for a while now. It may finally happen for Christmas.

Too bad Mac is switching to the Intel processors which will mean that the operating system will be outdated in 2 - 2 1/2 years. :(
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 10:46 AM by Darth_Anton »
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2005, 12:58 PM »
Intel iBooks should be out in Jan/Feb, or so the rumors say.

And switching to Intel won't necessarily cause the OS to be outdated any faster than any other OS gets outdated.  But, if you are really worried about that, I'd wait a month fo the intel models.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2005, 01:51 PM »
Interesting, I heard, from my buddy who works for Apple, that the intel towers would be out in about a year and the lap tops a year to a year in a half after that. I'll have to check into that.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2005, 02:21 PM »
No, that's not true at all.  All reputable Mac websites expect the first Intel systems in the next couple months.  Probably iBooks and iMacs first, then Powerbooks and Powermacs to follow around May/June.  Even Apple themselves has said to expect the first intel systems in early to mid 2006.

This site, for instance, is almost ALWAYS right on the money:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0511intelibook.html

If you really are thinking of getting an ibook, I'd definitely hold off until MacExpo in the first week of January.  The new systems will probably be announced then.  You might be able to get a good deal on the current models if you buy now, but rumors are the Intel systems are going to be much cheaper anyway.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 02:23 PM by Stim »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2005, 02:58 PM »
Thanks a ton Steve! Very helpfull. Given the date and the context in which I was talking to my friend, I can see how the information I had is no longer valid.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2005, 03:01 PM by Darth_Anton »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2005, 02:45 AM »
Just don't go about your purchase the way these people did.

Do watch the video. It was pretty cool to see a dude get taken down.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2005, 03:08 AM »
I liked the footage of the woman getting trampled and rather than even remotely trying to get her fat ass off the floor, she simply laid there and tried to save her wig that had fallen off during the rush.

Ya know what it's like, ya know this is gonna happen...  Wigs are probably NOT a good idea, and really is laying on the floor when you obviously have the ability to move/get back up really all that good of a choice to make?  I mean, really?   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2005, 11:44 AM »
I liked the footage of the woman getting trampled and rather than even remotely trying to get her fat ass off the floor, she simply laid there and tried to save her wig that had fallen off during the rush.

where was this footage?
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2005, 07:09 PM »
It ran on the Daily Show last night Name, but I'm not sure where it was exactly.  I think the Colbert Report ran it too in their lead story...

Basically it isjust a news person watching as the doors opened at one Wal-Mart.  The Stampede was comical and disturbing.  One woman fell and her wig fell off.  She just laid there (the full footage from this had an interview with this woman but that was cut off from the CC shows last night.  I saw the full story on my local NBC station the night of Black Friday), and she admitted she just didn't get up...  She was moving, she put her wig back on, so I don't think she was hurt...  She just laid there and people were running like mad to whatever the big deal was at Wal-Mart.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2005, 09:41 PM »
Jeez, that could have been here.  Boxing day sales at Walmart generate that sort of herd mentality and it's downright frightening.  Why they tolerate and encourage it is beyond me, but that's Walmart for ya.   ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2005, 11:16 PM »
Wal-Mart tolerates it because that kind of nonsense gets them headlines, and there's no such thing as bad publicity.

I'm still baffled by the whole Black Friday mentality. What would make someone get up way early on a day off to buy an item that will likely be cheaper the closer it gets to Christmas?
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2006, 12:36 PM »
After months of threats, I'm finally visiting JD on my new ibookG4. It's been a long time coming, I don't know how I was able to keep up on my old G3 running classic. :P

Anyway, with luck, I'll have things set up really nice in the next few days and may be able to start uploading pictures of stuff. 8)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2006, 04:57 PM »
Darn.  Here I thought Colman had finally sprung for a monitor :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2006, 08:14 PM »
Here at work we have whats called a Learning & Wellness program, this is entitled to Books & Subscriptions, Heath & Fitness, Professional Membership Fee, Courses, Internet Subscription and Computer & Accessories. We are allowed to claim up to $500.00 per year back.

Just after the new year, I picked up a used laptop from Sherry's brotherinlaw for $125., a new mouse for it ($20.) & a Canon CanoScan Scanner ($99.99). Got me bucks back for them.  ;)

Overtime my PC was telling me it's time to change so last Sunday I picked up a Compaq AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 2.2GHz Computer (1820NX) for $569.99.

So far I'm liking this puppy & like I said the best part is I get $500. back through work.  ;D

Now to get a new monitor & printer but that may have to wait till next year.  :-\