Author Topic: Buying a New Computer?  (Read 12161 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a New Computer?
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2008, 12:17 PM »
Sort of revising an old thread here but I figured it might be better than starting a new one....

So for many years I was a Mac Diehard.  I defended Apple's little corner of the market until I was blue in the face.  Then I left graduate school (circa 2000) and entered corporate America where the PC reigned supreme.   I succumbed to the evils that is Windows and have since purchased several Dell PCs.   I've consistently had 2 PCs at home and I buy a new one ever 3-4 years when the older one gets long in the tooth (buying a new one every 2 years or so).

Well, I'm looking at getting back into market to get a new computer.  For the first time in ages, I'm thinking of getting a Mac.  I haven't used one since before OS X debuted (I had a OS 9 as my last version).  However, I've grown out of the stage in my life where I was playing a lot of video games.  I've a got a PC laptop at work that I can bring home when I need to work from home so there is very little reason for me to actually own a PC.  I do a lot of digital photos and make DVDs on my home computer (both of which I can easily do on the Mac).  So I'm thinking of taking the plunge (assuming the boss at home agrees).  If so, I'll swap out one Dell for a Mac (probably an iMac) and then in a couple years I might completely go PC free and swap out the second.

Anyone have thoughts on the Mac vs PC for a new computer purchase.  I hate to keep up two platforms but I think it would only be for a couple years. 

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2008, 03:41 PM »
Personally, I build my own computers with the exact hardware and operating system I want and don't like to deal with one company for all my technology needs. I like to shop for deals and pick up the latest technology.  As a programmer I hate dealing with proprietary products and software. It just limits my choices and forces me into markets I really don't want to stay in. (ie iTunes)
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2008, 12:48 AM »
Newegg.com Most parts are sold at wholesale and not bumped up for retail. Great deals. Good company. That's where I'm looking to buy, and my friends have in the past, and highly recommend it.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2008, 10:15 PM »
I have been after a laptop for along time & today I picked up this new toy at Future Shop, a Toshiba Satellite Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0GHz Laptop & for an extra $10., I got a HP OfficeJet all-in-one printer . Whoot!  8)

We still have at work the Learning & Wellness program so I can claim up to $500.00 per year so that's still a big plus in my books so when all said & done this thing is costing me $206. plus I save 10% on ink for a full year  :-*

This Windows Vista gonna take a bit of getting use to tho.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 1, 2008, 04:15 PM »
Vista = Satan.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JDH1173

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm not just a member, I'm also the owner!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 1, 2008, 05:25 PM »
I agree, vista= Satan.  I wife hated the new computer that came with vista so much she went and bought a new mac powerbook and has been happy as a clam ever since. 

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 1, 2008, 06:45 PM »
Still stuck with PCs at work, but have an iMac at home.  Go back to Mac, dude.  PCs suck.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #67 on: September 1, 2008, 08:18 PM »
Is what they say true, that once you go Mac, you never go back?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Carpeteria3000

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • MTM
« Reply #68 on: September 3, 2008, 08:19 PM »
yes, Matthew, that is correct.