Author Topic: Trading Music, Bootlegs Etc  (Read 1952 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Trading Music, Bootlegs Etc
« on: August 13, 2003, 01:42 PM »
Just saw a commercial last night during the news from the Movie industry to try and stop bootlegging and piracy.  I am guilty I guess of buying some less than legal copies of DVD's but I really have never gotten into the whole Napster, Kazaa thing at all

Where do you stand on the issue?

I guess the only thing I could see getting into it would be to get some rare cuts or b-sides of some of my favorite bands but that is about it...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Trading Music, Bootlegs Etc
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 01:44 PM »
I'll also admit I readily trade CD's with people...burning copies is probably a big no no and just as bad as on-line file swapping I guess

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 01:48 PM »
I support the online pirate industry.

If music and movies are free to tape off of TV why can I download it?

I see nothing wrong with it. PLUS, I pay more than enough for their concerts that I attend, and if I really like a CD, I buy it and keep the bootleg or give it away.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 08:15 PM »
I have burned many a CD for my personal enjoyment. I do not see anything really wrong with the whole issue as long as you are not selling them.

I blame this whole issue on Metallica or should I say Lars. He is the one who started this whole thing with that Napster complaint he had. Greedy B!

For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Boba Fitt

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 09:15 PM »
I do it too... I built a collection of about 30,000 MP3s by downloading and trading MP3 CDrs. Thanks to a hard drive failure I'm down to about 10,000 but still it's a lot of tunes to enjoy!

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 09:23 PM »
Since I lost a majority of my CD collection a couple of years ago,  I download mp3's to replace those lost CD's.  Most of the stuff is from years ago and is really hard to find at retail these days.  I don't find anything wrong with it,  because I don't do it to sell the music.  I really believe they will never stop piracy until they close down kaaza and related sites permanently.  Personally,  I think this entire matter is going to end up in the Supreme Court one day...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 09:37 PM »
Most of the CDs that I burn are of older artists anyway, and more often than not it's live versions of songs.

Example - I see nothing wrong with burning a Jimi Hendrix CD, hell, he's dead, what's he care.

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 09:43 PM »
I used to download MP3's all the time on sites like Napster, Kazaa, Gnutella, etc.  I stopped doing it about a year ago because one of the programs had a newer virus, and my virus program didn't have the latest definition file on it.  My computer crashed and I lost all of my data on it.  So, the only time I use one of those programs (Kazaa these days) is to download software, but that is even rare that I do that.  I just don't trust exe and zip files anymore.
dustrho

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2003, 06:51 PM »
My CD purchases have gone up probably 300% since the advent of downloading music. Especially in the beginning.

I hear it on the radio, I download more songs by that artist. THEN I buy the CD if I like it.

Previously, I'd buy CD singles in that case, or sometimes over look the artist altogether if I didn't hear more than a single on the radio.

I'm one of those guys who actually likes to own a REAL CD of the music I like, not some home-burned job that I won't have in 10 years. Yes that's right folks, those things DO have a shelf life.

Granted....your hard drive will keep them forever, but what if it crashes? I lost probably 70 gigs of great music to my last crash. Since then, I've used a dupe drive, and every time I buy the CD, I delete the MP3's.
Got Clones?

Jango Fettish

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 06:59 PM »
Just saw a commercial last night during the news from the Movie industry to try and stop bootlegging and piracy.  

I saw that too, and I got upset when I saw Sean Astin. I just wanted to say, I own a screener of TTT, but I didn't make it! I promise!

Anywho, I don't own any CD's. What I did was burn all my store bought CD's onto CD-R's and made them MP-3's. I just don't buy music anymore, because I like so little music today.

I did just burn a copy of Superjoint Ritual - Use Once and Destroy. I promise that if Phil Anselmo finds out, calls me to tell me he's going to kick my ass, I'll go buy a copy from the store.