Author Topic: Upcoming Black Series figures?  (Read 19272 times)

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: Upcoming Black Series figures?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 11:43 AM »
I could see the price for Jabba with dais for about $50-60 due to the fact the he and his throne would have a lesser part count than something like the speeder with scout trooper. Sure, there might be more plastic but I think labor for assembly could keep the price down somewhat and 3x the price of a single 6" figure seems attainable.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 12:03 PM »
No dais might not cut it, but that may be the route they go just so that most people could afford it. 

If a basic figure is $20, what's a speederbike plus figure gonna cost?  $40-50?  What retail store is going to carry a $50 6" set in this market?  TRU maybe?

And what'll happen with Jabba?  If he's in the same assortment as the Speederbike, then that means a $40-50 Jabba without dais.  What would it cost with a full dais?  The walmart 3.75" set was what, $40?  Does that mean a 6" Jabba with throne would be priced at $80?  I can hear the outrage now...

The first problem is that the 6" figures are over priced by about $5 right now.  If they want people to adopt the line, they need to bring it down a little bit... $17.99 even.

Second, yeah - Jabba with a Dias would probably be expensive.  At least $60.  I bet it would sell like gang busters though.  I think the 6" line is more collector driven than kid driven at this point and collectors would gobble that up.

Parents wander in and there is a 18 year history of 3 3/4" figures with lots to choose from ranging in price from $5.99 to $9.99 - most parents (unless the kid really really wants it) aren't going to ditch all that for a $20 figure especially with so few to choose from.  And, with waves of four every couple of months, it's not like there's going to be a day any time soon where there are more than 4 or 8 options to buy from at a given time.

Are kids freaking out demanding the larger scale?  I don't know, but given that pretty much only Artoo is on the shelves, I doubt it.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 02:01 PM »
The first problem is that the 6" figures are over priced by about $5 right now.  If they want people to adopt the line, they need to bring it down a little bit... $17.99 even.

I agree with you... but Hasbro doesn't.  In fact, not only are they not lowering the Star Wars 6" figure price for 2014, they're bringing their other 6" figure lines into the $20/boxed world too.  Both the 2014 Spider-man Legends and Capt America Legends lines will be boxed/$20 instead of carded/$15.  BBTS recently posted this note:  "Please Note: Hasbro has raised prices on all 6" Marvel Legends Figures and the new MSRP is now ~$20 per figure." 

I could see the price for Jabba with dais for about $50-60 due to the fact the he and his throne would have a lesser part count than something like the speeder with scout trooper. Sure, there might be more plastic but I think labor for assembly could keep the price down somewhat and 3x the price of a single 6" figure seems attainable.

Jabba with a Dias would probably be expensive.  At least $60.  I bet it would sell like gang busters though.  I think the 6" line is more collector driven than kid driven at this point and collectors would gobble that up.

Depending on the packaging, I suppose they could get the price down.  But ultimately, how many folks out there are even willing to plunk down $60 for a 6" scale Jabba Throne set?  Like gang busters seems a bit excessive.  Does anything $60 sell like gang busters anymore?

I'm not much of a 6" scale collector, so I don't really know if there's any type of market for this kind of thing.  I guess He-Man would be the closest comparison since that is one 6" line with vehicles and playsets and things.  There you're talking about $35 mounts or $50 vehicles (neither with a pack-in figure) in a direct-to-consumer model.

Like I said before, I'm not collecting this line, just watching it unfold as an insight into the 'new' Hasbro.  It'll be interesting to see if the collector folks who bitch about a $60 vehicle being too expensive will be willing to pony up $60 for a 6" Jabba w/Dais.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 02:08 PM »
Does anything $60 sell like gang busters anymore?

GTA5  ;)

Like I said before, I'm not collecting this line, just watching it unfold as an insight into the 'new' Hasbro.  It'll be interesting to see if the collector folks who bitch about a $60 vehicle being too expensive will be willing to pony up $60 for a 6" Jabba w/Dais.

What if it includes a thawing Han in Carbonite block?   :D
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:10 PM by Jayson »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 02:56 PM »
They may be part of an assortment as well...  So prices would need to jive with each other if that is the case.  That's where the inclusion of a dais becomes trickier.  I'm not sure what that plan is.  I can't see the bike set being a hot at 60 and I can't see Jabba having a Dais at $40-ish.

Btw if character selection helps prod these to kids/ parents not all areas have only R2.  My area has lots of both wave 1 & 2 hanging around.   Sandtroopers and Boba are the only sure sells here, but that seems to vary.  It's a weird line.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2013, 03:56 PM »
I don't know about these crazy prices.  Hasbro can still make a brand new 3 3/4 ship for retail at $20.  I really wouldn't be surprised to see a Scout Trooper and Bike for just $40-45.  Is the bike that much more of a cost for them than a 6" figure or a smaller scale ship?  Then add that multipacks or pack-in figures tend to be a bit of a cost savings over individual figures.  I would think Jabba & Dias might fit into the $40-45 range as well.  Jabba will be really big, but bigger than a 3 3/4 Starfighter or Slave-I?  If it's just him and the dias/throne I can see these coming in lower.  If they're really going to push this line, I don't think they can get the volume they want out of just one retailer.  That said, if it does just go to Amazon or TRU, then I would expect that the price would get jacked up as an "exclusive."
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 09:26 PM »
Just make Jabba the 2014 SDCC Exclusive and problem solved. (ducks for cover)

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 02:37 PM »
Black Pauldron Sandtrooper, Chewbacca, Clonetrooper, Rem. Helmet Vader, Jedi Luke (with 2 shirt styles), and Deluxe Jabba and Speederbike sets...  Very cool reveals at Toy Fair!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 11:33 PM »
Wish there were pics of Vader with the helmet on, def looks great even without though. The Speeder Scout looks amazing, really most of the stuff does. Even Anakin looks passable, better than the earlier photos at least.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 11:53 PM »
Were the Clonetrooper and Black Pauldron Sandtrooper on display? Still trying to track down pics of those...

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2014, 12:11 AM »
Yep...  didn't get a good pic of the Sandie because it's just a black pauldron of what we already got, but they're in our gallery -

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #26 on: May 4, 2014, 08:42 PM »
6" TBS Yoda revealed

edit: HR version
« Last Edit: May 5, 2014, 09:32 AM by Jayson »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 5, 2014, 09:03 AM »
Pretty disappointing. Not a fan of pointy-headed, sad eyes Yoda, and soft goods would have been a huge improvement over that cruddy rubber robe.

Plus, at 3" or whatever this almost makes R2 feel like a good deal.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 5, 2014, 09:57 AM »
That looks like softgoods on Yoda to me...

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 5, 2014, 02:43 PM »
The figure looks okay. I like the vintage vibe it gives off. Hopefully the final product comes with an alternate prequel head and robe, or a hover chair, or some force effect stuff. If not $20 will be rather steep for the little guy.