Author Topic: How are you feeling?  (Read 5063 times)

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
How are you feeling?
« on: August 13, 2003, 03:57 PM »
Since Hasbro displayed some of their coming wares last weekend at WWC... How does everyone feel about the future of the line...

I mean yes we know Hasbro has the license until 2018... but do we think they will actually pump out product til then?

I mean yes they do have some stuff left to do... but they have touched on a lot of OT stuff as is... I can see them doing more "improvements" w/ things such as the new Wampa and Luke Hoth... but will collectors keep caring about that kind of stuff or eventually will it reach burn out...

I honestly can't see the line going past 2007 at this point unless LFL has something planned... which could be possible.

Thoughts? Comments?
Gotta love me or leave me alone....

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Valtar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Impressive... Most Impressive.
    • View Profile
    • Valtarz Customz 'n' Artz
Re: How are you feeling?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 04:13 PM »
I'm thinking that LFL will have something more coming up in the future,  Thats just a gut feeling mind you.  Anything that can last 25 years will continue on... Thats my opinion just on the fact that Look how Long GI-Joe has lasted and I put Star Wars in the same Catergory as far as standing the test of time.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2003, 04:45 PM »
I think Hasbro would always be able to find a collector base that would be interested in Star Wars.  There will be 6 movies by the end of 2003.  I don't know how many busyers Hasbro needs to keep a line flowing in the stores though?  I would think we'd see a dramatic drop in the number of figures released at some point after Ep3.  I say that because the only people interested would be the hard-core type fans.  However, there should be tons of those.

Hopefully the retail situation will improve greatly.  If people can't find the toys at retail that's going to kill the line.  I know you can find them on the internet and classifieds but most people will not go that route and throw up their hands and say "I'm done, can't find em."

If the cartoon series is a hit with kids/teens in general that would really help interest in Star Wars.  I think it has the potential for this.  I don't think late teens early adults will be that into it.  But if kids are that would be fantastic.  

All in all I expect the line to drop in popularity a year after Ep3 is out.  I think it's inevitable no matter how good Ep3 is.

But I am all for Hasbro's background charactes that are coming out next year.  I hope we get a lot of them before Ep3 hits.  

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2003, 05:34 PM »
I'm not sure really how I feel, but I tend to lend my thinking more to what you estimated Jimmy, in that it'll end shortly after Episode 3's release and one-year ride of popularity.

The end of the film franchise could cause secondary interest though that fuels it for a little longer perhaps?  

I could see it going beyond 2007 in some limited capacity though, and Hasbro have talked like the contract extension was to sell product for longer.  It could though, also have been a way too get the contract price lowered ultimately, and keep a competitor from buying the license.  That's a common tactic in the toy industry when dealing with licenses.

I have strong doubts things last to 2018 though, that's for sure.  I think 2010 is being overly optomistic even, and for a long-term toy license that shouldn't be.

The films haven't done what they thought they would for the Star Wars license though, and I think they've been detrimental to the long-term life of the various licenses tied to Star Wars.  The Toy Industry is 10x as fickle now as it was in 1985 too, which is food for thought.  more collectors with more choices...  They could drive Star Wars in some small way, but they also can and already are moving on to other things in many instances.  Even people who were once die-hards.

I think 2007 is a reasonable idea of when the line could end though, even if we don't want it to stop because certain things we want haven't come out yet, even by that time.  
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2003, 06:31 PM »
Totally agree JJ...
Hasbro can only ride the wave for so long.
I mean even w/ the dedicated collector base retailers themselves I can't see dedicating much space to what they consider is old news...

I think many collectors think because they have the license til 2018 means toys til then... and that is so far from the truth...

JJ hit sooo many points on why H could've extended the license for...

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2003, 06:32 PM »
Unless Lucas has some plan for TV (cartoons, live action, etc.) after EP3, things will wind down pretty fast I think.  I also believe Jesse has it right, that Hasbro extended the license as a defensive measure more than anything else.  SW I think is reaching a point somewhat (though not as bad) as Star Trek, where a break from the franchise may actually help in the long run.  I'm not saying it's there yet, but after EP3, a nice little break may be just what SW needs to get people excited the way they were back in '95 when things started up again.

As far as the toys go, it's clear there's a core base that will eat up these toys no matter if there's films or not.  Because of that, I think it's very possible the toys will continue one way or another for a very long time.  Unless we have situations like we do now where Wal Mart simply won't carry a broad line of SW stuff with nothing to support it.  We'll see.

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2003, 08:03 PM »
The Hard-Core fans will always be around. As for the rest of the world I think history will repeat itself as from the time when Return of the Jedi came and left. After E3 I feel the line will slowly die out.

Maybe old George has something to keep the Star Wars light glowing warm for everyone for another ten or so years. Say the entire Star Wars Saga in Directors form with added scenes, deleted scenes, and more in a special DVD set. We have all heard the rumors that ILM is already going back into the Special Editions of the movies and adding in some new stuff (creatures, scenes, and more). Star Wars is not finished yet. There is something coming after E3. What it is we can only wait and see.

I for one as a Hard-Core Star Wars fan hopes that Star Wars will be around always in some form. It has to, it is part of our worldly culture.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2003, 09:02 PM »
I would hate to see the line ever come to an end,  now for a reality check...  I think the line will remain as long as it is profitable for Hasbro and Lucas.  As far as how long that will be,  I don't know.  I feel that it's going to count on collectors,  such as us,  who will continue to buy what Hasbro has to offer in the future past EPIII and beyond.  Who knows,  G.I. Joe has been around since the 60's  (correct me if I'm wrong)  and is still profitable for Hasbro.    Star Wars has been  part of my life since I was very young and looking at all of the younger collectors these days,   it seems as if it is as popular today as in 1977 when I first  saw ANH.   I'm one who hopes it will continue...  as long as possible...  :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2003, 09:03 PM by roguestormtrooper »

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2003, 09:07 PM »
I could see it on a very limited run till 2018,and these will most likely be internet exclusives.But,with Star Wars,it's all in the will of the force...
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 12:57 PM »
I just have this aching suspicion that GL is gonna pull out the third trilogy saying he changed his mind.  I mean:

What else is going to make him more money?
What do his fans really want?

And to be honest I am burned out big time right now, I have zero to no passion about the whole thing.  I look at my toys and say wowza, lots of stuff.  And it is almost an obligation to keep going.  THat said I am really excited about a lot of the stuff coming on board next year.  Maybe something will spark my relove, maybe not and I may start whittling it down some.  Stay tuned :-*

Jango Fettish

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2003, 01:00 PM »
I've given up on collecting both the toys and the mini busts. The busts are just too spendy a hobby, and I lost alot of my passion for collecting.

Between Jango memorabilia, which is becoming harder to find as well, and my new found DVD obsession, I'm pretty set hobby wise.

Offline Jimmy

• Banned
  • Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • LobotsDup
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2003, 01:33 PM »
And to be honest I am burned out big time right now, I have zero to no passion about the whole thing.  I look at my toys and say wowza, lots of stuff.

I have been at that point for awhile now...
I mean the stuff shown at WWC was gorgeous but honestly if Hasbro said we are done now...

I'd actually be more happy than sad...

I've been at for a long time and look at the enormous collection I built up and instead of wowza like Scott... I say **** look at all the money sitting here...

At times I feel joy... but far more times I feel obligated like Scott...

Numero Uno LobotsDup fan

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2003, 02:52 PM »
Hmm.

I mentioned something about being burnt out in another thread the other day... and I still am.  I think it's just too much of a good thing.  Adam Pawlus frequently vets a 'year off' idea for Hasbro, and the more I think about it, it makes sense to me.  Give us a little time to recharge the batteries.  Get excited again.

I also look at my collection and am kind of overwhelmed by it.  There's no space for anything new, no way to display any sizable portion of it, and it becomes more an issue of containing it than collecting it.  

Offline Simdog

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 04:12 PM »
For me, part of the satisfaction of collecting is completing the collection.  I too, am burnt out.  I think the line will end by 2007, but I hope they end the line and it not be cancelled.  If it is cancelled, there will surely be products that we have all seen online that will be scrapped and will never find a home in our collection.  This happened in the vintage ldays with the Droids and Ewoks line.

In at the beginning of 2007, I would like for Hasbro to announce that it will be the last year.  I would then like for them to have lots of nice items that we have all been asking for as a tribute to the fans and collectors.  No, not all that silver commemorative crap, but nicely sculpted figures, unrelease/previously cancelled figures and a few surprises.  This way we can have our break and if the line comes back in 7or 8 years you guys wil be fresh again.  That will be it for me.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2003, 04:19 PM »
It seems like a lot of us our feeling the "burnt out" feeling nowadays.  Do you think it is due to the frustrating year (2003) that we have with finding the figures, the glut of Episode II stuff, and the disappointing action features?  That might be part of it for me, although I will say that I don't think I will be getting out of collecting either.  I haven't found any figures from this year yet, but I am still looking forward to my order from Kebco with Hoth Han, Mynock Chewie, Yoda and Younglings, Unleashed, etc.  Also, I am really excited for 2004, it looks like an ideal year for me...I really love the themed waves, one per month, POTJ-style figures, it looks great to me.  But, I also see where many of you are coming from...I do find myself looking at my collection from time to time and thinking "wow, that's a lot of stuff, and a lot of money spent".  I have also run into the problem with displaying space, and have some stuff packed away because of that.  Overall, I can see why many people have become ho-hum about the line, but I hope many of us continue on, it should be a great year next year...but everyone has to make their own decisions on things.  As far as the license going to 2018, I don't know if I could collect that long or not...I think I would always buy some of the figures, although I have become more selective over the past year or so (action features certainly taught me on that one).  Good luck to everyone, whatever they decide to collect or continue collecting :).

Edit:  I was just thinking about this, and also curious...for those of you who collect other lines besides Star Wars (toy lines mainly I guess), have you felt the same feelings across the board...is it that you are burned out on action figures in general, or just in Star Wars?  Maybe this belongs in "Other Toy Lines", but I just thought I'd post it here.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2003, 05:15 PM by mosnab »