Author Topic: Guild Memberships  (Read 9392 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Guild Memberships
« on: December 20, 2013, 04:28 PM »
I'm curious to know who else here has signed up for GG Guild memberships, and if so, are you satisfied with the benefits?  I've signed up for two years now to get the exclusive 12" Retro figures that are only available to those that sign up.  Along with the "free figure (you have to pay $15 shipping), there are other discounts/coupons included in the membership.  One  of the most appealing offers is $30 off any in-stock merchandise.  The problem with this offer is that GG never has jack squat in stock.  Has anyone here actually been able to use their $30 coupon? 

I've checked periodically throughout the year and almost everything I'm interested in sells out on pre-order.  The coupon is only good for the calendar year, so I popped in today to see if there was anything, even extras, that I could use it on.  It's nearly impossible to find anything with an Add to Cart button (meaning in-stock), and EVERYTHING I clicked says "Sorry, this item is currently not available.)  Do they seriously have zero inventory on anything right now?  Coincidentally the last few weeks when the coupon is valid.  Can't call them about it, because their offices are closed Dec 20-30th.  I love my 12" retro figs, but this feels like a huge scam to me. 

Anyone else unhappy with the Guild membership or have others been able to utilize the extra discounts?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Guild Memberships
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:34 PM »
I've been a member since it started.

The membership more or less pays for itself with the free gift, assuming that there is a free gift that fits your collecting interest.  Since I only collect SW mini-busts from them, I look at it as more like paying $10 or $20 for the year. 

But, the $30 coupon pretty much pays for the rest.  I've always found a way to use mine.  One year I used it on a Mars Attacks Mini-bust just for the hell of it.

Additionally, you now get points on purchases that can be turned into gift cards for their website, so when I bought the outrageously priced Fett, I was able to knock the price down by about $35 just base don points that I didn't know I had (this may have nothing to do with the Guild, not sure).

The benefit I like the most though is the access to convention and PGM exclusives.  They do put out product that is only PGM and the only way to get it is to be a member or have a friend who will help you out.

Basically, if the perks are something you can use, the program is basically free, even though it's gone up by $10 every other year or so.

Also, they do one-off things every now and then... a few years ago they were raffling off the chance to buy limited quantities of really old stuff that they had lying around, and I'm pretty sure that was a PGM thing.  I was able to get the ESB Vader Mini-bust for $60 shipped when they were selling for more like $180 at the time.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:35 PM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 07:50 PM »
I mainly just collect the retro figs from GG, but can appreciate all of the other perks.  My issue is with the advertised $30 credit not being of any use...for me anyway.  They literally have nothing in stock right now.  Not even the little zombie army men.  If you're going to entice people into the program with a $30 coupon, then I think they should have something...anything in stock to use it on.  That or allow guild members to use it for preorders.  Anything less feels like they are purposely trying to prevent people from using the discou t just to save some dough.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 10:25 AM »
Well, the coupon is good for a whole year if I'm not mistaken... surely at some point you'd be able to use it right?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 10:02 AM »
Nope.  I have tried several times through the year.  I'm sure they have had things in stock at points, but not much and clearly never for long.  The coupon expires in a week and there's nothing available.   :(

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Nope.  I have tried several times through the year.  I'm sure they have had things in stock at points, but not much and clearly never for long.  The coupon expires in a week and there's nothing available.   :(

I'd just email them.  Explain all that, and see if they'll extend it for you.  They're pretty good when you get Chris or someone on the case.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 08:20 AM »
I did, but they are conveniently closed 12/20 thru end of the year.   :P

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 09:34 AM »
Yeah, when they open back up, just email them again, tell them you've been trying to get a hold of someone for a few weeks... they might be nice enough to do it if you really have been trying all year long.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 12:07 PM »
Yeah, when they open back up, just email them again, tell them you've been trying to get a hold of someone for a few weeks... they might be nice enough to do it if you really have been trying all year long.

Couldn't hurt.  I certainly haven't been every day to check inventories and admittedly wasn't looking at much beyond Jumbo Retro until Nov/Dec.  But I have been in there at least 1-2x per month looking for something to use that damn coupon on.  Maybe they can just send me a free retro Wampa and we'll call it even.   >:D

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 09:47 AM »
Justin -

I've had the same issue as well.  I think I've been a member three of the past five years (only pull the trigger when they've got a PGM bust I really want) and I've never been able to use the $30 coupon. 

If I recall there is some fine print on the coupon too that you can't use it for convention exclusives, etc.  As I recall I picked up the Yoda with 3D glasses and popcorn a couple years ago and couldn't use my $30 coupon on that since it was a WonderCon exclusive.

Its frustrated me as well, but I've just resigned myself to the math that the $30 coupon shouldn't be factored in to the deal.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 3, 2014, 01:59 PM »
Just a follow-up on my issues with the GG membership.  GG client service got back to me regarding my complaint about the lack of in-stock merchandise.  They wrote a very apologetic letter regarding the lack of instock merchandise and offered to give me $30 off any existing pre-order.  Their prices are still higher than my comic shop and include shipping, but I nabbed the vintage retro hoth leia for about $60 shipped.  Very commendable customer service from the GG folks.  I will now endeavor to detach my foot from the inside of my mouth.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #11 on: January 3, 2014, 02:22 PM »
GG just sent out their coupon codes to PGMs
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 3, 2014, 10:39 PM »
GG just sent out their coupon codes to PGMs

Did you get charged for your 2014 membership yet?  I remember it not working automatically last year for some reason...

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #13 on: January 3, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Yes, mine process automatically yesterday.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 4, 2014, 12:18 AM »
Yes, mine process automatically yesterday.

Rats - I don't see mine as an order on the site.  Did you have to contact them at all?   ???