Author Topic: Avengers Infinite  (Read 18535 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Avengers Infinite
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 06:01 PM »
Yeah, no offense but that argument is bull****.  For starters, I'm still looking for Bespin Leia and haven't seen her in a long time, but I still see Jar Jar and sprinkles of others around.  You can't assume that availability in your area matches everywhere else.  I'm sure she's plentiful in some areas and hard to find in others.  Second, I don't know of anyone who buys more of something or picks it up solely because its rare.  The fact that the figure is short-packed doesn't make me want it any more or less, and I wouldn't buy more than one of these unless I thought a friend needed it.  With your logic, producing 1,000 of a female figure means they sell all 1,000, but producing 2,000 of them means they'll only sell 500.  If you buy into that, I have some land on the moon I'd like to sell you.  Oh, and if that were true, they should have short-packed Grim Reaper because he'll peg warm worse than three repacked Iron Men.

The fact is that Hasbro either has no clue what figures people actually want or they're letting the bottom line decide what characters to put into an assortment.  Do they do any research at all?  As someone who works in the industry, I find it appalling that they have reams of free feedback from consumers on sites like this, but they continue to just ignore it and release these ridiculous ratios.  I'm sure it's appealing to put repack Iron Man who costs $.75 per figure in the case in place of all-new Wasp who costs $1.50 because it eats into their profits.  But it's that kind of short-sighted thinking that undermines the success of the line in the long run.  When I see heavy collectors of stuff like this bail on the line, it's typically because they're frustrated with the complexity or cost of trying to track down crap that's hard to find, like short-packed figures and exclusives.  And when Walmart or Target bail on the line because they have 20 Iron Men warming the pegs, who's fault is that?

Sorry, but Wasp is the most popular character in that wave - producing just one of her is just plain stupid.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2014, 04:17 PM »
Deny the trends as much as you want.  The fact remains that female characters sell more poorly.  I know that flies in the face of what YOU and other collectors may want.  But in the broader market?  Female characters just don't sell as well.  Hence, they get short-packed.  If they didn't, the retailers would give the manufacturers grief regarding case assortments that don't sell through.

As for short packing being used to create artificial demand?  We've seen it plenty of times.  Do we really need to go back to some of the golden oldies?  How about as far back as 1999, with the POTF2 CommTech R2-D2 with holo Leia?  Shortpacked at 1 per case and only offered in once case.  At it's peak that figure sold for as much as $80.  Or how about the Ultimate Galactic Hunt foil cards?  That wasn't even discrete.  Hasbro called them what they were:  chase figures.  We also saw EU characters in the TVC line which were only offered as one per case like Bastila, Galen Marek/Starkiller, and Shae Vizla.  All offered in only a single case assortment and packed one per case.  Lo and behold you wound up with these as "HOT" figures, and some collectors NEVER saw them at brick & mortar retail.  THAT is called creating artificial demand.  And it's been done numerous other times, all in the interest of driving the collecting chase.

If you still need a Bespin Leia?  I know where there are plenty of them if you want one.

As for Wasp?  She's an important character in the scope of the Avengers comics.  And IIRC she wound up making an appearance in one of the Ultimate Avengers animated features.  But I don't think you're likely to see her in an Avengers figure assortment at more than 1 per case until her character winds up in one of the Marvel cinematic universe's feature films.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:18 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2014, 09:19 PM »
LOL!  Nick, you can't throw your opinion around as fact without some data to actually back it up.  I don't have any sales data to show how well female figures sell versus other figures - do you?  The fact is that no one knows how well a short-packed figure would sell if it was offered more broadly.  Do you really believe Hasbro would have sold fewer Bastilla, Starkiller, and Vizla figures if they had put twice as many of them on the market?  I find that pretty hard to believe. 

I'm not sure what your point is in listing a number of older short-packed figures.  Yes, short packed figures often sell more on the secondary market.  That's not called "creating artificial demand," it's simply the principle of supply and demand.  Check out an Econ 101 class sometime.  When you halve the number of figures normally available, there simply aren't enough to go around and that raises the price.  Artificial demand would imply that people are buying up a figure they wouldn't normally have purchased, which we don't have any evidence of outside of scalpers. 

Your example actually proves the opposite of your position.  If female figures sell so poorly and are less desirable, then short packing them shouldn't cause a demand problem.  Bastila, Starkiller, and Vizla are all still commanding higher than retail pricing, and two of those are female figures.  And as far as retail sales go, I'm betting Hasbro sold just as many Vizla figures as they did Starkillers.  So much for female figures selling in lower quantities. 

Hence, they get short-packed.  If they didn't, the retailers would give the manufacturers grief regarding case assortments that don't sell through.
Do you really think Target and Walmart would be calling Hasbro to include more female figures in their assortments?!  Seriously?  How could they even reach that conclusion.  From what I've heard, the big retailers ARE upset with the current assortments.  That's why you're finding so little at stores, seeing clearance prices on new product, and watching many stores not even willing to carry current Star Wars lines anymore.  Guess not everyone likes the current assortments as much as you.

And yeah, if you can let me know where to get a Bespin Leia on the cheap, please unveil the curtain.  I still need one.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 09:19 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2014, 03:17 PM »
And yeah, if you can let me know where to get a Bespin Leia on the cheap, please unveil the curtain.  I still need one.

I know where to get one locally for about $8 or $9.  Not a total bargain, but if you need one PM me.

Feedback

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 05:04 PM »
I see this line is now called Marvel Infinite, and they showed some new stuff at Toy Fair.  Appears to pretty much just be a packaging/name change from MU, so that's good.  Some things shown past Wave 1:

Yellowjacket
Ionic Wonder Man
Red She Hulk
Steve Rogers
Whirlwind
Bearded Thor
Death's Head
Ares
Deathlok

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2014, 12:12 PM »
I just received Hulk, Hyperion, and Grim Reaper.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 09:15 PM »
A pic of the wave 2 case of Avengers Infinite has been posted by etailers:

The case breaks down as:

1x Platinum Grim Reaper
 1x Platinum Hyperion
 1x Platinum Wasp
 1x 80s Thor
 1x Death's Head II
 1x Whirlwind
 1x She Hulk
 1x Captain America
 1x Heroic Age Iron Man
 1x Beta Ray Bill
 1x Yellow Jacket
 1x Steve Rogers

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 3, 2014, 03:22 PM »
Spotted these at Target earlier. Well, 3 Iron Men and 2 Caps. The packaging is similar to the Black Series packaging. $9.99 a pop i you're lucky enough to find the new figures.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 3, 2014, 05:38 PM »
Spotted these at Target earlier. Well, 3 Iron Men and 2 Caps. The packaging is similar to the Black Series packaging. $9.99 a pop i you're lucky enough to find the new figures.

Just curious did this line have its own peg space and DPCI, or was it the same space and number as MU? If the latter they may never show up near me.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 3, 2014, 08:52 PM »
I spotted these at our Target this week as well.  I'm not positive on the DCPI, but I'm pretty sure it took over the space previously occupied by Marvel Universe.  The Wasp was gone by the time I found them, and Hulk has since disappeared as well.  The rest of the wave seems to still be there, I think maybe people didn't know these were hitting pegs yet.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 4, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Yeah, all of the MU pegwarmers were gone and the AI figures had the two pegs that the Universe figures had previously occupied. Didn't even think to check for a DCPI.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 7, 2014, 11:35 AM »
The DPCI on these is the exact same as the MU figures:  087-06-1970.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 9, 2014, 01:48 PM »
Looks like Wave 4 just went up for preorder on BBTS this week, no pictures but the lineup looks like this:

Platinum Hulk (repack)
Death's Head
Wonder Man
Star Lord
Rocket and Groot
Drax

Not sure if the Guardians figures are just repacks of the earlier box set or not.  Also, didn't see it posted, but Wave 3 is also up for preorder now:

Ares
Deathlok
Cyclops
Omega Red (repack from MU)
Valkyrie
Ant Man

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 12:23 PM »
Whirlwind, Red She-Hulk, and Thor arrived today from HTS.com.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 09:24 PM »
Whirlwind, Red She-Hulk, and Thor arrived today from HTS.com.

I check, I check, I check, I check.  Finally I get bored.  New crap pops up and I miss out.  Hilarious.  The only line I'm actually collecting and I can't even manage to find the stuff I want.   ::)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.