Author Topic: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 4  (Read 28315 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 4
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 06:56 PM »
Yoda is a real letdown after earlier pics of the hardcopy from Toyfair. Happy to stick with OTC I guess. I will have to get Torryn Farr, though, she was always one of those "that'll never happen" figures on my checklist.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 07:44 PM »
I'm not really disappointed in anything shown yet...  They're not usually indicative of production shots, so I'll wait.  I think Yoda looks good though...  Luke's arms I get the anger on them not looking perfect by all means, but I also say they're intended for poseability so I'll take them.  His eyes look far goofier to me.  I could see swapping Bespin heads with him though.

Of the group they're all must-buy's to me.  I wanted a poseable (hyper poseable) Dagobah Training Luke since the day we got the OTC figure, honestly.  I hated the limited use of that figure from Day 1.  I wanted a Luke that can do it all, and he and this Yoda fill that role perfectly to me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 03:48 AM »
I think Yoda looks off compared to the sample because they used a ridiculously oversized cloak and the colors of the cloak and skin are a tad bit darker. I'll reserve judgement until I'm actually holding the figure. I'm honestly excited for the entire wave.

That Snowtrooper looked like a $5 figure to me at first. Weird.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 10:01 AM »
That Snowtrooper looked like a $5 figure to me at first. Weird.

We are getting a new snowtrooper in both lines - there is a new 5POA one in the Legends line and this SA Snowtrooper Commander in the Black Series.

I wanted a poseable (hyper poseable) Dagobah Training Luke since the day we got the OTC figure, honestly.  I hated the limited use of that figure from Day 1.  I wanted a Luke that can do it all, and he and this Yoda fill that role perfectly to me.

I like the OTC one for the handstanding arms/stand, I thought that was a great way to do it at the time.  But this new SA arms version, while looking a bit funky is appreciated.  Like you said, if I wanted a static pose arms version, I've already got that.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 10:30 AM »
The kama on the Snowtrooper Commander seems like a step backwards.  But it's very likely that the move to a molded plastic kama from softgoods was dictated by cost considerations.

From the standpoint of versatility and articulation, I think that the new Dagobah Luke and Yoda are very significant steps forward from the OTC versions.  But I agree with Jeff, the OTC version of Luke in the handstand pose is pretty good for that particular scene.  This new version would be great for Luke doing his running and training through the Dagobah swamps.

It's good to see the reissues confirmed.  Especially Bastila.  She was so difficult for anyone to track down that such a reissue will at least help a few people.  Dak is still a little bit of a head scratcher, but I think that Hasbro will probably be shopping a Snowspeeder exclusive to some retailer for later this year, and they want Dak back on the market to complement that.  I still would've preferred a reissue of the VC68 - Echo Base Trooper, but hopefully Hasbro's hanging onto that one for another offering.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 09:49 PM »
NOT a fan of the Snowtrooper officer's Kama as it basically nullifies all the leg articulation.  Fortunately making cloth Kamas is about one of the easiest things to do, and doesn't even need sewing, so I'm fine with that...  I'm still excited for him though I will be modifying hopefully a couple extras for Platoon Leaders.

This Dagobah Training Luke will be replacing my OTC figure, hands down (nyuck nyuck)...  He has the open palm hands for the stands even.  Hasbro put a $10 figure out there...  Don't disagree that they should've hidden those elbow pins though (Jayson mentioned that to me on twitter and I agree).  Still, I'd rather the pins be there than no, or more limited articulation at that joint.  I'm happy as a clam.

Dak, I see lots of folks dumping on him (far worse than he's just a head scratcher to them) and to me, he's a perfect snowspeeder pilot army builder.  Blue emblem helmet, comes with a Rebel rifle you can toss to some Fleet Troopers...  He's a great army builder so even if we don't get a snowspeeder (I'd love a damaged Luke speeder with the bent blasters and cracked windshield), so I'll take him.  I didn't get enough TVC ones.

I may sell my Bastilla(s) off to people who need them more...  Even loose on Ebay she's still fetching a nice price.  Sort of shocked given these were rumored.

These next two waves I'm ecstatic for.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 10:13 PM »
I'm torn on these new figures... While I am very excited to see these new and updated characters, the figures look rather cheap in the photos. It might be a combination of the paint, sculpting, and shiny plastic that is giving me bad vibes. Hopefully they will be more like the Wave 3 Vizams and Merumerus than Wave 2 Stormies or Mara Jades when they finally hit retail.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 09:50 AM »
I get that the final Yoda won't be anywhere near the ones shown at Toy Fair but it sucks they are going to the old Prequel head with little pupils and less defined features.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, for some reason the eyes on Yoda make and break the figure

Jesse said this in the Collect all 92 Yoda thread...so much is lost from Proto to production and unfortunately the painting on a mass produced level is typically what suffers the most.  Am I pissed and outraged?  No, am I dissapointed, a little. :(

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2014, 02:24 PM »
It's still a good looking Yoda....I just wish it could be more like the TF display.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 07:42 PM »
Those Hasbro pics rarely translate 100% too...  I think it may look better in person, but who knows.  It's by no means the mini-replica it was at Toy Fair, but I never expected that.  I hoped, but with paint aps where they are in this line?  They've been cut to epic lows...  1995's were superior in many ways.  I wasn't expecting much more than we got so I'm not really disappointed at all.  It is what I expected.  I think it may even look a little better once we get it.  The Fleet Trooper wound up looking significantly different from his Hasbro press pics...  This may as well.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2014, 03:24 PM »
eTailers should be posting these real soon...be on the lookout!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2014, 04:47 PM »
Anxious to order something new...  Last new thing I bought was off HTS before Christmas.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Checking HTS every hour or so...
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2014, 07:02 PM »
On the road all day so that rarely works out for me, but I do think I'd nab some extras from HTS even at full price.  I want the Snowie officer at least.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #29 on: April 1, 2014, 03:37 PM »