Author Topic: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 4  (Read 28303 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Series 3.75" - Wave 4
« Reply #75 on: August 7, 2014, 09:22 AM »
Picked up Bastilla Shan finally too. At the regular retail price on amazon, I couldn't pass that up since amazon had the original carded version for $62 also. Since I'm an opener it doesn't matter what card she is on.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #76 on: August 7, 2014, 05:57 PM »
I agree pretty much with all of Jesse's thoughts on Wave 4. I have the set now (except for Luke) and very impressed all around, even with Yoda. He seems very small in that blister and for $10 it's a stretch, but overall I like him. The Commander is nearly perfect, loose hands aside. He's a figure I've wanted forever and they've done him justice. Toryn Farr is another character I've always wanted and happy with her too. I almost wish the headphones were sculpted on, to avoid losing them (they are a little loose) but no real complaints.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #77 on: August 7, 2014, 06:45 PM »
I am half tempted to purchase another Luke and Yoda so he can run with him in the backpack!

I'm also still trying to figure out where to put the Snowtrooper Commander.  I started with him in the head of my AT-AT with General Veers, but now I have him directing the troops to prepare for ground assault.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #78 on: August 7, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Get two...  An AT-AT theoretically (EU nerding here) rocked two Lt.'s leading two groups.  Just a thought.

On Farr's headphones I very much disagree Darb...  the ones I have actually almost lock onto the ears.  Look on the inside, they're sculpted to sort of fit snug, so you may want to fiddle with it some.

In my reviews of yesteryear I always hashed things out with PRO and CON columns...  I never saw a perfect figure ever, but some damn close ones.  The RFT lacked a holster and the sculpted on vest hinders it some, but it's pretty great.  The Legacy onward Hoth Rebels were pretty great aside from maybe the stance being a little wide.  A pilot used a short body.  IG-88 TVC had a wider stance than he should and sticky joints (but goddam that's a good figure)...  Nobody's perfect.

This wave's that way...  Paint in general is an issue in the line.  It's one that for the price, really it shouldn't be going on anywhere...  Even the 5POA line costs enough that paint shouldn't hurt them.  That said, all these figures have a flaw here and there, but their PRO column greatly outweighs it to me.

For my money, Yoda's pack is a little too large and his arms aren't articulated.  The pack is fixable with even fabric glue, and the arms are my only real heavy gripe with him.  Otherwise that's a really nice looking figure.  Like, surprisingly nice.  Sometimes I think the hyper detailed photos that surface, actually hinder early opinion on a figure.  It's cool seeing detail, but when a camera's showing flaws your eyes won't see that's kind of a bummer.  I was set to hate Yoda, but when I opened him I was pleasantly surprised.

Now, make no mistake...  I wanted a better articulated figure too, and that's a bad Hasbro moment.  Likewise I wanted a better deco and would've preferred ball joint elbows on Dagobah Luke...  But that didn't diminish how fun he was to pose on my desk, and how I'll now buy at least 3 of him, if not more.

Not everything is the "My world is over" moment it can sometimes appear to be from some site opinions is all. 

We're still getting better figures than we were in 2003, basically.

I would like to see Hasbro step up quality on paint apps...  That alone would silence most of the incessant bitching.

I've long been the guy who's impossible to please, and I still am...  I am happy to point out flaws.  I'm also happy to see a toy for what it is though.  I said that eons ago when softgoods came into play and some hated them.  I love them.  Are they perfect model-level quality in appearance?  No.  Do I expect it?  No.  I want the poseability.  It's a trade-off. 

Holsters are usually oversized...  almost always, actually.  A real leather holster that a blaster fits and it forms around is going to be much thinner and smaller.  Very few, if any, of Hasbro's sculpted holsters "fit that mold" (no pun).  You never hear people bitch about it though.  Why?  It's a flaw...  But it's one that when it functions it's great right?  It's a feature people seem to universally love and would rather have than not have.

So why is a sewn backpack that's a little too large, but functions in every way (down to the friggin' clip working!), such a flaw?

Focus anger where it's warranted...  Those arms needed articulated.  The legs didn't though, and I'm the guy who thinks everything should be SA or bust generally!  Give me elbows and wrists, and every other flaw Yoda may be perceived to have would've washed away.  Elbows and wrists were the only real flaw on him honestly.  Everything else was just inconsequential bitching for bitching's sake I think.  Call it a pile-on I guess.  I just don't see it nearly as bad as others seemed to...  and trust me, I wanted to.

Luke's arms didn't bother me either, so maybe I'm #easytoplease or perhaps just easier than I realized.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #79 on: August 7, 2014, 10:11 PM »
I fiddled around with the headset and it does work better, so thanks Jesse. I do think my example is a little bit looser than maybe yours, but it's fine. And I agree that there's nothing really bad here overall in this wave. There's a lot of complaints about this, that or the other thing and I keep expecting someone to lend me their pass to Perfect Town. I'd like to visit. I'm stunned we're even getting figures like Toryn Farr or the Commander after the near fatal calamity that was 2012. Let's be real. This line has nearly used all its nine lives. We could be Joe collectors after all. I have my likes and dislikes and more importantly I'm having my cake and eating it too. Let's enjoy what we have and maybe not expect perfection or personal apologies for the affronts against humanity that are imperfect toys.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #80 on: August 7, 2014, 10:44 PM »
Got mine today...  I got 2 Torryn Farr figures, two Snowtrooper Officers, Luke, and Yoda.

-Torryn Farr...  A great figure, if not simply a headswap.  Hasbro going the removable earmuff route is really a nice nod from them, and the kind of thing that makes a collector figure special.  :)  I am planning a headswap, hopefully, and may buy more to do other swaps.

I didn't get Dak yet, and I didn't get anyone else...  I don't need Bastilla Shan or anything like that.  I'd like Daks but not for $10.  Anyone selling Daks for less, I'm all ears.  ;D

Toryn Farr has a new head, vest, forearms and hands ;)

PM sent about spare Daks
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #81 on: August 7, 2014, 11:21 PM »
I thought the hands were re-used?  The forearms and vest I didn't notice (Leia's away, with everyone else, wishing I had shelving up :().

That's a good bit of new!

The hands I thought reminded me of Bastillas or another characters.  I could be wrong.

For the curious, btw, Torryn Farr's head?  It swaps with basically every female Rebel Pilot and POSSIBLY the female Impy from Force Unleashed.

So headswaps, galore, if you want.  You could have your own army of basically chicks looking at computer screens.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #82 on: August 7, 2014, 11:41 PM »

Wonder how well, or not, these arms would swap with the new Luke's?

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #83 on: August 7, 2014, 11:45 PM »
I thought the hands were re-used?  The forearms and vest I didn't notice (Leia's away, with everyone else, wishing I had shelving up :().

That's a good bit of new!

The hands I thought reminded me of Bastillas or another characters.  I could be wrong.

For the curious, btw, Torryn Farr's head?  It swaps with basically every female Rebel Pilot and POSSIBLY the female Impy from Force Unleashed.

So headswaps, galore, if you want.  You could have your own army of basically chicks looking at computer screens.

Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #84 on: August 8, 2014, 01:06 AM »
Tons of new.  Can't be disappointed in that.  I swear her hands seem familiar, like someone had that pose on the left hand, very specifically.  That's the only thing that makes me feel like those were from someone else.  That'd probably be unlikely though, and easier to just tool new ones.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 8, 2014, 09:27 AM »
Thanks for posting those picks of TF.

Got my set a week ago but have been too busy to sit down, open them and check them out. I really can't add anything to the observations already made other than this is winning set for me over all. Adding that Snowtrooper variant is a real huge check on my checklist for most wanted figures. Now, if Hasbro would only make an illustration accurate Snow bikerscout, I could die a happy nerd.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2014, 10:24 AM »
Got my Luke to stand on 2 hands in under a minute.

Got him to stand on one hand in less than 2 minutes.

Heard people bitching they can't get him to stand on two hands at all.

Those people probably can't crack an egg without it flying all over the place.

LMAO!  ;D Love the way the Rebel Trooper is standing there in the background.

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2014, 10:27 AM »
I received my four commanders from Dorksidetoys last Saturday. The minute I saw the carded figures when I opened the box, my eyes immediately went to his E11 blaster. That's an impressive blaster. Rigid plastic (finally!!!), and an awesome two-part folding stock. Here are my thoughts on this figure:

Sculpt: the figure itself is just a great representation of the Commander we briefly saw on screen behind Veers. This is definitely one of the best trooper sculpts Hasbro has done. I looked up reference pictures of the Snowtrooper Commander's costume and I can't find anything wong with it. All the little details are in place, as far as I can tell, from the two dimples on the nose of the mask, the upside down shoulder pads, the front and back of his chest armour, the TK lower arms, the holster for his sidearm right down to the thin detailed lining on his trousers. One minor gripe: the two small silver discs on the sides of his helmet are missing. The skirt is a plastic one, as opposed to his subordinates' soft-goods ones. Since Hasbro has a terrible score in the soft-goods department, handing the Commander a plastic one is a wise choice.

Paint: well, he's white for the most part, but there are slight difference noticeable in the shades of white applied. The 'hard' armour pieces are pretty much pristine white, while the trousers seem to be a tad off white. The skirt is off white another step further, including the big belt buckle. This last detail is just slightly disappointing, but understandable since the belt and skirt are one piece. On all of my four commanders, the lenses haven't been painted black completely. Except for that, the rest of the painted details are just perfect, right down to his rank badge and the grey cuffs of his gloves.

Articulation: the Commander comes with 14 POA: ball jointed head, shoulders and elbows, swivel wrists, ball jointed waist, swivel hips, ball jointed knees and ankles. This makes him posable very well, for a Commander. It's not like he'll be running, jumping and leaping for cover on the battlefield, but he sure can take some commanding poses. All joints move smoothly and tightly. The right glove however, tends to come loose quite quickly. If that happens to your Commanders as well, I suggest applying a tiny bit of superglue, replacing the glove and slowly turn it back and forth until the glue has settled. One would expect the helmet mold to hinder the articulation of it, but it can actually turn quite far. The upside down movement is minimal though, as can be expected. I am particularly impressed with the range of motion of the waist. Funny thing is, the grenade on his lower back, hinders the upper body from being turned all the way round, which is only natural. That is, unless your force it.

Accessories: the Commander comes with the aforementioned E11, which, again, is just an awesome piece. I have a couple of dozen E11s from Marauder Gun Runners, which is a mold that is several years old, and it's good to see Hasbro finally upping their game, ditching the bendy plastic and adding plenty of detail in such an iconic weapon. The Commander also comes with a sidearm (a DL44), which fits snuggly in its holster. You may have to work it a bit, but it fits perfectly.

Size: not a subject to normally include in a review, but hear me out. I've been collecting the 'best' modern versions of all the basic Kenner figures. A little while ago I received the VC Lando Calrissian in Skiff Guard disguise, placed it next to the Saga and Kenner version and was really taken aback by how tiny he was. I know Hasbro's scales and rulers have been compromised for a while now (Luke figures, Leia figures) but I never really gave it that much attention. Of course, after seeing that tiny Lando, I immediately measured up my Commander. And yes, he is too short for a Stormtrooper! He comes in at 1.72 meters! And that includes his helmet. That's at least 11 centimeters too short. Then again, he could very well be just a regular human officer, much like that fat Biker Scout in RotJ. Let's just hope Hasbro doesn't continue down this path of downsizing.

That said, Hasbro has practically hit a home run with their Snowtrooper Commander. It's an awesome figure to have and a great addition to your Snowtrooper platoons.

I'll see if I can find the time to take pictures to accompany this little review :)

(And yes, the hands (right as well as left) pop off too easily, but nothing a dab of super glue can't fix!)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2014, 05:14 PM »
Anyone have a handy list of how many times they've done the Snowtrooper Commander/Officer over the years?  I know there's been...

- 2003 Saga 03-19
- 2006 Saga-011
- 2007 30AC ESB Tin (Saga 03-19 with removable helmet)
- 2014 Black Series Wave 5

Am I forgetting any?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:15 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2014, 08:30 PM »
That's probably it...  that last one (prior to TBS) I'd forgotten about.  It was always a figure off my radar because of the goofy articulation choices.

TBS's is pretty darn near perfect besides the kama killing the articulation.  Love the helmet's sculpt and poseability though.  Really well done design there.