Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy  (Read 48988 times)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy
« Reply #120 on: December 4, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Added to the playlist.  Pretty sweet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGu6v2OjW8s
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #121 on: December 4, 2016, 09:25 AM »
I'd watch that video on mute!   ;)

I'm really looking forward to this movie...it looks better than the first one!
« Last Edit: December 4, 2016, 09:26 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 4, 2016, 01:10 PM »
Uhh...both those clips look great.   ;D
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 5, 2016, 10:08 AM »
For a space movie, it is REALLY colorful.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 1, 2017, 10:26 AM »
Cool. I liked the first trailer a lot more, but nice to see the new footage.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #126 on: March 1, 2017, 11:59 AM »
I also liked the first one more, but all about this movie.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 5, 2017, 12:23 AM »
Saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 this evening.

I actually enjoyed it more than the first one, don't want to say much more than that as there's very little you can say about the movie that wouldn't spoil some aspect of it in one way or another. The battle with the big creature seen in the trailers is the opening scene and needless to say, just like with the first movie, the way they worked in music and dancing during this scene was a great way to kick off the movie.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Online P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 5, 2017, 01:43 AM »
Agreed.  This was awesome!  Could have died laughing.  There was a whole range of emotions in this one.  I had an issue with one part of the plot but it was resolved nicely.  End credits are worth it.

All I can say is, I am Groot!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #129 on: May 6, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Saw it today and it's a fantastic addition to the Marvel CU.  Also, there are three post credit scenes.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #130 on: May 7, 2017, 09:05 AM »
I saw it three times over the weekend.  Totally awesome.

There were a couple things I thought were a bit too over the top.  Defying physics for the sake of humor.  And I don't understand why those pillars started rising to the surface other than the story needed some means of transport at that moment.  But those are just a minor niggles out of 2+ hours of joy.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 7, 2017, 11:30 AM »
Saw it today and it's a fantastic addition to the Marvel CU.  Also, there are three post credit scenes.

5 actually.

Drax getting the arrow
Original GotG
Adam Warlock
Teenage Groot
Stan Lee / Watchers
Common sense isn't so common

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 7, 2017, 03:40 PM »
I caught the 3D opening night, pretty awesome all around, did not feel let down at all. That said, I don't think it topped the first one...the humor felt forced too often, especially at the beginning, and sort of took you out of the moment at times.

Kurt was freaking money though, and Sly was strong too. I liked Mantis and thought the whole Nebula arc was really well handled. Loved the Warlock tease, and the Watchers too.

Seemed like they never really explained why Ego killed the Mom. Did he do that to all of them?

Shouldn't he have known there were other Celestials out there wandering the universe? They showed the head of one in the first movie. Maybe he just wanted one he could control?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 7, 2017, 07:15 PM »
Seemed like they never really explained why Ego killed the Mom. Did he do that to all of them?

Ego said it, and unlike other times in the movie where he was duplicitous to Peter, I think when he was "coming clean", he was being 100% honest when he said that he had been to Earth to visit Meredith 3 times and he knew if he came back a 4th, he would never want to leave, so to avoid the temptation of ever coming back to Earth, he put the tumor into her head. When he also told Peter why he sent Yondu to get him instead of coming for him himself, that was, I believe, a half truth - he genuinely didn't want to go back to an Earth where there was no Meredith, but he used that as the excuse to cover up the fact that he was having Yondu traffic all of his progeny across the galaxy.

Also, I think when it came to the other children he had sired, he appeared to those females of other species in a body that matched that species. When he told Peter that he chose the "perfect form" that was Ego's way of saying that whenever he visited a planet he chose the form to "perfectly" match the inhabitants of that planet and once there he would find a mate, plant his seed (both re-productively AND to put that pod thing on the surface of the planet) and leave.

Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 8, 2017, 11:51 AM »
That was my take on the tumor as well.  That and having her die before Peter was kidnapped would be something of a mercy in his mind versus her thinking/knowing space guys took her son, and Ego was likely involved.  I feel like that's why the Ravagers come get Peter immediately after she dies.  Ego talks about the insignificance of life compared to his immortality, so not surprising that he would just end her if he's not coming back.

We saw it Friday on the IMAX 3-D screen and it was pretty awesome.  I did feel a spark of let down versus the first one, but I think it's hard to capture that magic in a bottle twice.  I read a review this weekend with similar thoughts - it's funnier than most movies and better written than most movies and more entertaining than most movies, but it isn't the original.  I think the group is also at their best when they all play off each other and having them spread out for most of the movie hurt that dynamic.  That said, it was still the best movie I've seen this year by far.  I think I laughed a lot more through this one too.  I'm glad I didn't read anything about the movie in advance - seeing Sly and later the original Guardians was a nice surprise. 

Without throwing out spoilers, I loved references to Hasslehoff and Mary Poppins, Baby Groot and his inability to follow directions (nice play on how we can't understand him), Howard the Duck and Stan Lee cameos, Pretty much anything Drax says ("you're disgusting"), Kurt Russell (who does not look 66), Trash Panda, and Rocket's all too obvious winking.  Mantis was a nice addition to the cast as well. 

The end credits were fun too.  The extra scenes were great, but they had some other little bits of animation through all of it as well.  If you watch closely, some of the lines throughout the credits just say "I AM GROOT" then change to the actual name after a few seconds.  Did anyone spot Goldblum's Grandmaster in one of the picture bubbles?  Not even in the Guardians movie, but a nice link to Thor's upcoming flick.