Author Topic: Guardians of the Galaxy  (Read 48793 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy
« Reply #135 on: May 8, 2017, 02:35 PM »
The end credits were fun too.  The extra scenes were great, but they had some other little bits of animation through all of it as well.  If you watch closely, some of the lines throughout the credits just say "I AM GROOT" then change to the actual name after a few seconds.  Did anyone spot Goldblum's Grandmaster in one of the picture bubbles?  Not even in the Guardians movie, but a nice link to Thor's upcoming flick.

Yea, I caught both of those during the credits roll as well.  Its funny how Marvel has created a way that everyone stays until the last blip of the "reel" is finished.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 21, 2017, 02:05 PM »
Saw it with the boys this weekend.  Not as good as the first one, but still relatively entertaining.  Agreed the movie is at its best when they're all together, so splitting them up halfway through kind of hurt the last half of the movie.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2018, 10:52 PM »
James Gunn has been fired from GotG Vol 3 after some crass 10 year old tweets were dredged up by alt-right trolls.  They have been a favorite target of Gunn on social media.  But they went after Gunn in earnest and Disney has disavowed him.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #138 on: July 22, 2018, 02:05 PM »
To be fair, Nick, he was making “jokes” about pedophilia and having sex with his kids....who thinks stuff like that is ok?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 22, 2018, 07:46 PM »
The tweets were not defensible.  But James Gunn's past work for Troma would have raised some concern, and that was well before he got the gig to direct GotG.  It bears repeating: these were TWEETS.  Were they in poor taste?  That's not in question.  For his part, Gunn has owned up to that social media content as him attempting to be very deliberately shocking at the time, and that he's a different person now.  But let's also look at the broader context.

There are some in Hollywood who have become very vocally critical of the current administration.  James Gunn is among those people.  He has regularly engaged much of the Trump faithful and taken them to task. 

Enter alt-right troll Mike Cernovich.  He was one of the central figures in dredging up old social media content of James Gunn and pushed for him to be fired.  And it bears examining that Cernovich was one of the proponents of the bogus pizza-gate conspiracy theory.  There is a litany of Cernovich's documented despicable rhetoric and bad behavior.  ACTUAL rape allegations, for one.  Propogating a conspiracy that led to a gunman shooting up a pizza place in Washington.  And what consequences has he suffered for that?  And are we taking his motives into context?  Word is that he is now targeting another entertainment figure who has been openly critical of Trump:  Michael Ian Black.

Some of the Guardians cast has come to Gunn's defense.  Dave Bautista, for one, has stated that he is not okay with James Gunn being fired.  They regard him very well personally and judge him for who he is on the set and in their personal interactions with him. 

There's more to this that just some tasteless tweets.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 07:58 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2018, 02:49 AM »
Hopefully, Disney will bring in Tiaka Waititi from Thor Ragnarok.  I liked GotG2, but it was pretty formulaic and they just amped up what was good about the first one.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2018, 07:36 AM »
So, in one breath you're saying that what was tweeted was inexcusable and in the other you're minimizing it because they're just tweets.  Versus what?  Does that format of communication make comments less relevant or hurtful than something said on stage or in an interview?  Probably not in an era when the president mostly communicates over tweets.  And quite honestly, I bet the reach for social media is far beyond whatever other medium would have made this more offensive in your mind.  There's zero difference in how or where you write this stuff.  If he had written the comments on a bar napkin that was made public, the reaction would be the same.

This is a huge gray area that the country is struggling with right now.  If you say or do something racist/sexist/not-PC right now, you're immediately kicked to the curb.  Its not even up for debate.  See Rosanne Barr.  I hate that show, but think of all the cast and the hundreds of people who work on the set, production, etc. who are now out of a job because of a racist remark one person made.  I don't know what the right answer is, but the results seem a bit overboard to me when you consider everyone involved.  How about instead of firing people, you educate them and force them to do some kind of public service work to counter whatever hurtful messages they previously spewed?  Seems like that would be a lot more beneficial to everyone.

Now, If you said or did something racist/sexist/not-PC decades ago, should the reaction be the same?  What is the statue of limitations on this stuff?  Never?  Look how many people have had careers ruined by the Me Too Movement based on things they did or said 20 years ago.  I'm not arguing that we should ignore past comments or actions.  But if you said something stupid when you were 25 and haven't said it since, is that really a good reason to all but exile someone?  Seems pretty extreme.  It feels like we could be doing something more productive than just banishing people.

I think it all just comes down to marketing and liability these days.  Every corporation or organization is making these decisions based on the potential for negative branding and potential lawsuits.  If Gunn is allowed to stay and the media jumps on this, then the public image of the who movie could be tarnished.  At best, that means lower ticket sales.  At worst, you could see morons working to link Marvel or Disney to pedophilia.  Then there's the risk of more stories coming forward, lawsuits, etc.  For better or worse, most companies have determined that it's better to cut bait and run. 

At my last job, we had ethics training every 6 months where it was made very clear that you can be fired for just the appearance of a potential ethics violation.  Whether or not you were actually doing anything wrong was irrelevant - that's how sensitive these issues have become.  And if you want to argue that this is an alt-right issue, probably best to bring that to the Sarlacc Pit.  I personally don't think its conservatives who've created this era of extreme political correctness. 
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:38 AM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2018, 08:44 AM »
The difference to me is, using the examples Jman provided, is that if you makes racist jokes, it pretty much means you are a racist. But if you makes jokes about pedophilia, that does not make you a pedophile. It might imply poor taste, but no one really believes that guy is a pedophile. Not even Elon Musk.  :D

I agree a lot of it is about optics and marketing etc. And I do think he got a raw deal.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2018, 08:59 AM »
So do we then disavow the writers of Airplane

"Joey, have you ever seen a grown man naked?"

A joke about wanting to have sex with a young boy.  It was a running gag.  So were they pedophiles, or is it possible to write jokes about that without being one?
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2018, 09:26 AM »
If you make racist jokes you are a racist, but jokes about kids means you're not a pedophile?  If you make jokes about women are you sexist?  If you joke about two guys are you homophobic?  I get where you're going, but I really don't think you can't qualify someone as any of these based on a joke they may have made.  The intention of a joke is to make someone smile or laugh and sometimes that is done in poor taste.  But that's light years away from fondling women, not treating blacks as equals, or salivating over kids. 

Anyway, back on topic - I was happy to see Jeremy Renner's "Got this feelin I need to SUITup soon..." post.  I hope they have a good back story for Hawkeye's absence in Infinity War.  I bought the Ant-Man house arrest story from Ant Man & Wasp, but Hawkeye doesn't have the benefit of a solo movie to explain his whereabouts.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2018, 09:49 AM »
I'm glad they didn't have social media when I was younger, dumber, and mouthier...

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2018, 06:02 PM »
I'm glad they didn't have social media when I was younger, dumber, and mouthier...

No ****!  :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Check out the news from THR:  'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3' Production Put On Hold (Exclusive)

It's not really news that the GotG cast rebelled when James Gunn was dismissed by Disney for some old tweets that resurfaced thanks to some online trolls.  And with this development?  The GotG cast is now free to pursue other work at this time.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2018, 10:58 PM »
It's not like it's never going to happen....they're just putting it on hold until a new director is found.

It also says that Taika Waititi had a meeting with Marvel.  That's a good sign in my book!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 10:59 PM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 17, 2018, 08:26 AM »
I read that Gunn is helming Suicide Squad 2 for WB/DC.  Interesting.