Author Topic: Aliens: Colonial Marines - by Hiya Toy  (Read 33528 times)

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines - by Hiya Toy
« Reply #45 on: January 4, 2017, 07:36 PM »
I'm instantly out at that price, as I expect a lot of folks will be. I understand the collector logic to rationalize the value, it just doesn't work for me at that $ threshold sadly. Sure does look like a fine effort though.  :(
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: January 4, 2017, 08:15 PM »
It's like the AT-ACT and Legacy AT-AT being compared.  It's just a completely different time to be a toy collector...  Hiya does very nice sculpting, hyper details, hyper articulation, superb paint apps.  But figures are $24, the Power Loader is around $100 and not terribly larger than a figure...  So I was kind of expecting $250.  I think I guessed that price actually, so I can't say it's shocking me at all.  And given what the prototype looked like, that it's a full detailed interior with access to 100% of it, it fits all the marines you could from the movie, it lights up multiple ways...  I'm not disappointed I guess? 

I mean I've bought cars for just 50% more of the price of this thing, so that's kinda funny, but at the same time I love Aliens...  The price sucks, but I'm up for one if not two of these at full price.  And up till Hiya, the only 1/18 Aliens line that was any good (poseable anyway) was the Hot Toys Snap Kits which spiked in price since they went out of production...  So I'm cool (enough) with this, barring something needing me not to be, from a financial POV. 

And the Aliens figures are selling out on a lot of the sites they're on.  I was told this only is happening because the Loader did well too out the gate apparently despite the price being kind of absurd.  People said the same thing on the Power Loader, that it was too much money for something that small, and nobody would buy it...  Apparently it's sold rather briskly.  But this isn't something meant to sell 10,000 units either, like a Hasbro toy, so the market's definitely smaller.

If this does well enough to justify it, they're already prototyping a dropship to see about feasibility of that...  $250 may seem cheap compared to what that costs.  :-\  That'll be one I have to really debate if I can justify the $ there.  I cannot imagine it for under $500.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 4, 2017, 11:07 PM »
The price is pretty reasonable compared to other collectibles with significant design and detailing.  Masterpiece Transformers can be in the $200 range and Sideshow/Hot Toys 12" figures are $250ish.  These are definitely targeting hard core collectors, not casual fans or kids.  Personally, if I was collecting the figures I'd be all over this.  I have a cheap GI Joe vehicle sitting where this would be in my Funko display shelf though and I think it'd be odd to have something this detailed with the basic reaction figures.  It's a really nice piece though - I hope it sells well.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #48 on: January 4, 2017, 11:48 PM »
I have some of the Aliens reaction figures...  I liked the space suited ones for customizing, and the others I just kinda wanted because Alien never got its due in toy form really (at least in 4" scale) ever, and I've not heard much about it getting its due anytime soon either.  Hiya's licensing is weird because it's somehow got an OK I guess from what I heard, to work on Aliens stuff (not just the A:CM), but I've not heard them being able to do anything with Alien itself...  or I'd wish for that stuff with articulation too.

But yeah, the Power Loader next to the Funko guys, it doesn't jive at all...  Oddly though, it looks really cool with some Imperial Tech trying to use it to stack cargo in a hastily made hangar bay. :)

Prices suck though, no argument here...  I'm just glad I've found something to enjoy since my Star Wars spending is very low compared to past years.  I want to buy more Star Wars, I just don't, and I don't foresee the glory days coming back either.  Times are a changin' and such.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 5, 2017, 10:19 AM »
I hear that.  I've redirected my collecting budget to Masterpiece Transformers, but those can range from $60 to $200 a pop.  I think I'm nearing the end of that collection as my shelf space is almost used up and most of the core figures I really want have been made by Hasbro or a third party.  Probably for the best as it feels like SW merchandise is going to start creeping up there again with a new movie every year...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #50 on: January 5, 2017, 09:18 PM »
I've seen some of the Transformer stuff out there and it's insane...  Really detailed stuff.

I'm glad Star Wars has at least some decent stuff as it limps along, and I'm fine with it as it is I guess.  I just would love to have gotten like Han in his TFA outfit that he wore 90% of the movie, but articulated, and some other stuff...  Hurt more with Rogue One.  I would've loved to have had a shot at all the Rogues, some of the Rebel Troopers & officers & pilots...  Just good versions of more would've been nice.  The 5POA just will never resonate with me, and I'll just customize it some.  :-\

The Acid Rain line gets a ton of my $, and I've learned my lesson to pre-order as soon as it comes out, and not piss around.  ::)  I missed their SDCC exclusive this year too, and that's killing me.  Prices after the show were immediately insane and never came back.  Bah.

But what they do, I like, and it works in Star Wars dios and stuff to me...  I think without some crossover, I'm not into it then.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2017, 12:16 AM »
Now make it A:USCM and Predator too because they revealed new Predator action figures which looked insanely well done.  One even appeared to have the flint lock pistol ala (I believe) Predator 2.  Wonder if we'll get a Danny Glover figure?

Also Aliens: Colonial Marines female troopers...  nice to get some diversity.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2017, 12:03 PM »
Any links to good pics?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2017, 07:51 PM »
Toy Ark has some good pics: http://news.toyark.com/2017/02/18/toy-fair-2017-hiya-toys-aliens-predator-figures-241644

I'm really digging the Predator figures and the female Colonial Marines.

I get why their APC is the price that it is but it's kind of outside my budget. As much as I'd like to pick it up, I think I'll be content with another couple aliens, the female CMs and the Predator figures. I'm glad Hiya took a chance on the APC though, that's going to be out there for those that want it.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2017, 08:59 PM »
I'm getting one.  I've committed and squirrel a little aside every couple weeks for it.  I'd like 2, but that's going to be very up in the air...  I'd just like one kind of for display, one kind of for fun/fiddling.

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2017, 12:00 AM »
I think maybe if I wasn't saving for Celebration I might throw down on the APC. Maybe if I don't spend too much cash in April I'll use the leftover for the APC.

Hasbro didn't really show me anything at Toy Fair that I'm all that interested in and even with the new movie coming this year, the only things I'm probably going to be down for are some single carded figures, and at $8 ea, it's not going to be an expensive year. It's pretty easy to talk myself out of Gentle Giant (not that they're offering much these days), Sideshow/Hot Toys, and Lego so that frees up a lot of collecting budget.

Like you, Jesse, I'm spending that money elsewhere. I backed the Eagle Force Kickstarter, I picked up a couple of the Valkyries figures from Marauder (and plan a couple more), added some vintage and repro G.I. Joe figures, outfits, and equipment, and I've been buying Lego parts for some MOCs I've been working on. I've also been eyeing the new Voltron figures, specifically the Lion combiners, based on the new Netflix series (which I really dig).

And now I have these new Hiya Toys figures on my short list for this year.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2017, 10:36 PM »
Yes, that is something that isn't a problem for me this year, haha.  I'm waiting for SW Land to open down in Florida then figuring a trip that year whatever is going on.  I just wanna see that.  But yeah, it'll certainly help.

I pay a lot out on dumb **** for my garage too, so squeezing in the APC isn't going to be simple, but I'm gonna figure a way.  I'm buying a $300 jack though, got a used lift this past fall/winter...  I figure it's investments in my physical well-being over the longer term.  :-\

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2017, 05:40 PM »
Several new figures coming soon...  Lt. Jeremy Cruz and 2 female troopers too.  The Jeremy Cruz has a mechanical leg prosthetic too.  Pretty slick.  The human sculpts look to be a bit more crisp too...  something of a complaint from before was the relatively soft features on their Hicks and Hudson faces.  I like them but they're far from "perfect".  More generic IMHO which is almost better in a weird way.

I'm anxious for these.  Can't wait to get some more Aliens figures in my collection, especially since that APC is gonna need filled up. :P

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #58 on: April 3, 2017, 01:29 PM »
Blows my mind that one of the female figures has being from Waterloo, IA (where I'm from) as part of her bio.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #59 on: April 4, 2017, 05:46 PM »
Gonna post a story for the female troops too.  No pre-order on them up yet on EE but I'm anxious to get one in and load up on free shipping from it.

Love me some Aliens 3.75".  Fantastic.