Author Topic: Anyone collect FOREIGN items?  (Read 3736 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Anyone collect FOREIGN items?
« on: August 14, 2003, 07:27 AM »
Does anyone here collect foreign pieces from the Saga line (or others)?

I've never really had the slightest interest in collecting anything foreign for several reasons:  Doesn't really appeal to me, have a hard enough time just keeping up with being a carded and loose completist as it is, and it's also just too expensive for me to delve into yet another collecting subline.

That said, there's always been one foreign item in particular that I've always kept my eye on and planned on eventually picking up at some point - the Mexican exclusive POTJ 4-pack.  Thanks to BigDumbWookiee who just hooked me up with it last week, my foreign collection is now complete!  At one piece...   ;)  It was a unique looking item, with attractive packaging that matched the rest of the line, so I'm happy to have added a little variety to my collection.

But no Saga or any other foreign stuff for me.  Is anyone else here into the foreign aspect of collecting at all?  If so, to what extent?  I know Cory at least picks up foreign carded Jango stuff...

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone collect FOREIGN items?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 07:36 AM »
I have exactly four foreign items:  Episode I Darth Maul w/ battle droid that I got as part of my winnings in BHC's Survivor contest and Red carded Yoda, Boba Fett and Darth Vader that my wife (then girlfriend) picked up over in France when she did a semester studying abroad.  I really have no desire to collect foreign issued products, its hard enough to keep track of - and track down - stuff released in the US. The three my wife got will always stay put in my collection, they're just too personal to get rid of.
Common sense isn't so common

Jango Fettish

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 12:53 PM »
Like Matt said, I do collect foreign carded Jango figures, and anything else. Theres just something appealing about things that are from "out of town" so to speak. Here are a couple of my favs:

Japanese Jango Fett Pepsi Can

Hungarian Nokia Advertisement Card

I got more, foreign stuff is usually alot more original, and fun to collect.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2003, 12:58 PM »
Eopie and that is about all for me :-*

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2003, 01:01 PM »
I have an Eopie as well.  What  I really want is a set of the 4 SOTE on Red Tri-Logo cards.  I have been searching for a decent price for over 3 years now, and have only seen them once on Ebay.  These are very difficult to find and can be pricey.  I may at some point also go back and collect the POTF2 cards with the long pics on them.  

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2003, 01:42 PM »
Well I guess it depends on were you are from. Anything in US packaging is foreign to me as anything in Canadian packaging is foreign to you.   ;)  ;D

I just have the odd stuff. A boxed Meccano Scout Walker, Mexican exclusive POTJ 4 pk  ;) , Canadian Darth Dagobah with secret sticker,  :P  Palitoy 12 back Ben  8) , Trilogo Anakin Skywalker with that big old sticker on it & ROTJ Boba Fett US.

I'm working on getting other foreign carded figures but only the vintage line.  

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2003, 04:34 AM »
...Canadian Darth Dagobah with secret sticker,  :P

Damn, I knew there was another foreign item I was interested in.  I just couldn't recall what it was!  Thanks for the reminder D!  You're still supposed to hook me up with one, remember?!   :-*  I also forgot about those damned "foreign" Pit Droids!  I want those too!

I was also only referring to the actual Hasbro line here as far as foreign stuff, 'cause I know a bunch of us are at least collecting the Japanese Kubricks as well.  I assume you guys are saying the Eopie since you wound up picking up the cheaper foreign bosed version, right?  I guess I just consider the Eopie (regardless of box language) as part of the regular Hasbro line, and not a "foreign" piece - even though that was the only way most people snagged one unfortunately.  Just as I will if those damned Cantina wave 2 figures only get released abroad (which it now sounds like won't be the case)...

And you're right Dale, as far as what's considered "foreign" to the collectors in different countries.  I wasn't talking so much from an ethnocentric/U.S. standpoint, as I was referring to Hasbro and it's Star Wars line being U.S. based and as such, anything other than their standard U.S./English only version cards being "foreign".  Make sense?  Hopefully, since I didn't want to mistakenly offend any of our non-American collecting brethren, of course!   :-*

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2003, 07:13 AM »
I traded with someone in the Netherlands...I sold him a couple of E1 figures and he sent me as a bonus a magazine in Dutch from the premiere of the EII movie there and 2 sets of postcards...they are a wonderful addition to my collection and 2 pieces that will be rare in years to come...I might be willing to part with 1 set of postcards for a couple of Saga figures...they are basically the photos that are included in the DVD with all the Jedi or Clones in the background and the writing on the other side is in Dutch

Jango Fettish

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2003, 09:23 AM »

European Jango Fett: Kamino Escape (UK Version)

European Jango Fett: Final Battle (Not a line of English)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2003, 09:30 AM by Cory H »

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2003, 12:31 PM »
I haven't had any foreign items for the Saga line but have collected most of the bonus droid figures.  I still need on Holo Sidous to complete a MOMC collection for the Pit Droids and half of the Bonus Battle Droids.  Then I may see if I can find the 2 inch figures.

obi_robz

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2003, 05:18 PM »
I collect foreign Saga figures (i.e. US ;)) because the local line (i.e. European tri and quad-logo) is incomplete (by quite some way).

I saw that figure at TRU today :). My own version is on a US card with background because I really hate all the space that’s taken up by text on the Euro multi-language cards.

Cory, I was just wondering if there were any other versions of those Jangos? What about a quad-logo Jango KE without English or quad-logo Jango Arena WITH English? Maybe they don’t exist, just curious.

In the UK we got 11 Saga figure in quad-logo packaging including English, and then a few months later there were 7 or 8 more released on quad-logo with no English. Very Strange.

So like I said, I stick with US cards.

Jango Fettish

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2003, 06:38 PM »
I have never seen either one of those, Rob. I'm pretty sure I have all the entire run of them. There are some European versions on US cards, but with the big ugly black sticker on the back.

obi_robz

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2003, 03:39 PM »
with the big ugly black sticker on the back

I hate those things – heating the sticker with a hairdryer only works about 80% of the time. Luckily the 2003 stickers are back to being easy-peel like in the Episode One days.

With the ’03 repack Jango I’m pretty sure there aren’t any Euro card versions, just US cards with peelable European multi-language stickers.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2003, 05:55 PM »
I would love to have been able to get the set of Pepsi bottle toppers from the AOTC promotion.  They also had OT sets that looked great.  I like the POTJ 4 pack that OCB has there.  It's not really my overwhelming interest to get the "foreign" stuff because I don't really have extra money or know-how to acquire the items.   They would be great to have though.  I really like the vintage Palitoy death star playset.  

Offline Darthshader

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • TradeFederation.net
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2003, 04:31 PM »
I LOVE Foreign items! I prefer things that are not available in the USA. Japanese exclusives are amongst my favorite, but always pricey.