Author Topic: New Be@rbrick Wicket & Romba and Paploo & Teebo 2-Packs  (Read 8725 times)

Offline space monkey

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
New Be@rbrick Wicket & Romba and Paploo & Teebo 2-Packs
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:28 PM »
As per Medicom's update:

These don't appear to be limited like the previous box sets. That's the fourth 100% Wicket and third Paploo. I'm going to dub these the derp face variants.

I only bought the Celebration Japan 2-pack because it was cheap and I wanted Wicket to go with the other five. I can pass on these.

Here's the previous be@rs for reference:

Credit: Toysdorado

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: New Be@rbrick Wicket & Romba and Paploo & Teebo 2-Packs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 12:20 AM »
Thanks for the pics.  Meh.  I don't collect any of the Bearbricks.  I want to want these because it's the closest thing we've seen to real SW Kubes in forever, but ...meh. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline The Pilot

• Youngling
  • Use the fork, Luke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 03:24 AM »
The good thing is that Medicom still have the Star Wars licence though - or maybe got it back?!?
Bring on an Ewok Kubrick set!

Offline Dan

• Jedi Knight
  • Got some
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:22 PM »
I wonder if there wasn't some license issue with Lego/Medicom at some point. The figure sizes are pretty close. And maybe the bearbricks are safe because they are star wars version of a different toy.

I just can't fathom why Medicom would have gone more than 2 years without a series release, and only re-issues on cards. The license doesn't make them any money by itself.

Looking back at that dx4 wave and the finale picture from Justin with the kubricks in his vintage death star playset made me almost misty... It was two years ago today.   :-\

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 07:39 AM »
It is a day of remembrance my friend.   :'(
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 11:36 AM »
BBTS have these sets up for preorder.

Bearbrick Two Pack - Wicket & Romba

Bearbrick Two Pack - Paploo & Teebo

Estimated to Arrive August 2014 Our Price: $37.99

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Medicom NEVER lost the Star Wars licence. They have stopped making any kind of Kubricks. Most likely because bearbricks are cheaper as they're just repaints.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:19 PM by Symposium »
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline space monkey

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Medicom NEVER lost the Star Wars licence. They have stopped making any kind of Kubricks. Most likely because bearbricks are cheaper as they're just repaints.

Yeah, they've still been pumping out the SW be@rbricks in the last two years, the last one was the Jango/Boba 2-pack if I recall, and maybe even RAH's.

I'm sure be@rbricks are much cheaper to produce than kubs and in that case I'd happily take a bunch of repaint kubricks from Medicom if that was the choice between something or nothing. They could do a box set of x-wing pilots and just reprint the face and helmet.

But maybe it's not down to cost. Pure conjecture, maybe the DX line, which tried to take things in a different direction, didn't do so well. 

Offline Adrian

• Jedi Initiate
  • Follow me you will
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 10:30 PM »
I wonder if there wasn't some license issue with Lego/Medicom at some point. The figure sizes are pretty close. And maybe the bearbricks are safe because they are star wars version of a different toy.

I just can't fathom why Medicom would have gone more than 2 years without a series release, and only re-issues on cards. The license doesn't make them any money by itself.

Looking back at that dx4 wave and the finale picture from Justin with the kubricks in his vintage death star playset made me almost misty... It was two years ago today.   :-\

If I remember correctly. Only Hasbro had Star Wars toy figure license in the US. Its the reason that Lego is not allowed to sell just Star Wars minifigs (they kinda got around it by making really small sets). And I've been told that its the reason why you don't see Medicom at Comic Cons or in stores with large Star Wars displays.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 12:57 AM »
Mail delivery today.   :)

Offline Adrian

• Jedi Initiate
  • Follow me you will
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 03:37 PM »
great pick-ups. I always get excited when I see a new post here. Just wish there was more news to read about.