Author Topic: Vitruvian H.A.C.K.S. - by Boss Fight Studios  (Read 25934 times)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Vitruvian H.A.C.K.S. - by Boss Fight Studios
« Reply #15 on: December 7, 2015, 12:44 PM »
Remember these?  They have finally opened non-kickstarter pre-orders for the Wave 1 stuff.

http://bossfightshop.com/

These look awesome.  Stiff price point for just one figure though.  Any chance of a group/large order to bring down the cost?  Maybe a JD promotion will pop up...  ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 7, 2015, 03:47 PM »
Remember these?  They have finally opened non-kickstarter pre-orders for the Wave 1 stuff.

http://bossfightshop.com/

These look awesome.  Stiff price point for just one figure though.  Any chance of a group/large order to bring down the cost?  Maybe a JD promotion will pop up...  ;)

I was bummed I missed out on the kickstarter for this.  Almost dropped a large amount for one of their higher investor levels.  I can't believe how long its taken to release these.

I too am still interested in these, but will have to be really selective at that price point.  Hopefully once they're released there will be better deals.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: December 7, 2015, 03:55 PM »
$19.99 is actually pretty cheap.  It's not Hasbro afterall, so $20 for an SA figure with scads of accessories?  Color me shocked the price is that low, actually.  If you look at comparable lines around, that's not bad.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 7, 2015, 05:52 PM »
$19.99 is actually pretty cheap.  It's not Hasbro afterall, so $20 for an SA figure with scads of accessories?  Color me shocked the price is that low, actually.  If you look at comparable lines around, that's not bad.

Where else are you paying $20 for 4 inch figures?   ???  I'm not saying they are overpriced, but that price point is a little steep for my collecting habits.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #19 on: December 7, 2015, 06:47 PM »
Acid Rain World toys, Hiya Toys Aliens 4" figures, Marauder Inc's military line (co-op with Bossfight)...  All these small companies cost that much pretty much, actually.  They're not Hasbro, like I said.   :-\  Acid Rain figs run up near $30 actually.  They're imports though too.

Hell, the skeleton is $13.  I'm impressed they're selling it that cheap.  Smart move selling it separate of any accessories though, to army build.
« Last Edit: December 7, 2015, 06:54 PM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #20 on: December 8, 2015, 12:04 AM »
Where else are you paying $20 for 4 inch figures?

Acid Rain World toys, Hiya Toys Aliens 4" figures, Marauder Inc's military line (co-op with Bossfight)...  All these small companies cost that much pretty much, actually.  They're not Hasbro, like I said.   :-\

Ori Toy (Acid Rain World) and Hiya Toy (Aliens: Colonial Marines) are probably good comparisons.  Both of those make small production run, super-articulated 3.75" figure lines and both are a bit more expensive ($22-25 for Hiya; $23-28 for Ori) - though the higher part is probably due to being import/overseas.

I love the figures but I'm also in the $20 =  :( category.  I will probably pick up a skeleton and maybe one other for my Cantina.  They are really nice looking and exactly what a lot of collectors want (SA, nice deco, lots of accessories)... but $20.  It's a lot to ask for 3.75" figures.  :-\ 

Not that long ago, there a was an interesting article about a 4 Horsemen line that they converted to 6" since they felt fans would prefer a $25 6" figure instead of a $20 4" figure.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #21 on: December 8, 2015, 12:24 AM »
Yeah, it's not been "fun" by any means, paying $20+, but if it's something you're into ya know?  I'd say though, given how little Hasbro's been putting out I personally want (or want much of) that it's been a little easier to move onto things I find interesting in other lines.  But $13...  They're really not that far off for similar quality themselves.  It's not that big of a jump to $20 at this point for good Hasbro 4" stuff. :(

I've often thought if they delivered basically a 4" Sideshow figure (not all softgoods, but all the extra hands, an extra head or two, extra belts/accessories, etc.), $20 wouldn't look quite so bad for Star Wars actually.

At $20 though not doing much army building or anything.  I dig the Vitruvian HACKS stuff but I'm not going to buy much of it.  A Spartan and a Skeleton are about it for me.  Possibly Medusa but probably not.  Right there, you're over $50.

And yeah, I've always attributed the Ori Toys stuff to the import status, same with Hiya though they barely crank anything out, either one, so again the price stings a lot less.  Not like every month they put out much.  The Laurel was the only vehicle Acid Rain got this year IIRC, and Hiya hasn't put out anything, yet, technically.  The 4 Aliens are from a year or two ago now.  The rest are still lingering on pre-order.

There's so little from the niche places, it's not too bad spread out.  Hell, these pre-orders have been teased for ages from Bossfight.  Feels like forever.

The Marauder Inc. figs are pretty pricey too and took a long while to come to fruition.

Was looking at the Marauder figs just now out of curiosity actually...  They're about $20 too if you get one with all the accessories.  You can get one with nothing for $13 though.  That's neat.  You can even get them without heads.  Weird.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2015, 12:31 AM by Jesse James »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 8, 2015, 10:16 AM »
I haven't seen much of that other stuff - had no idea there was a "premium" 4" figure market out there.  It's too bad - I really like these, but won't buy man/any at that price.  When you have people complaining about basic Hasbro figs moving from $7 to $8 and super articulated 6" figures for the same price, it's hard to stomach $20 a pop (plus tax and shipping to boot) for such a small figure.  I still might grab a few, but definitely won't be getting the full set or multiples for hundreds of dollars.  Too bad - if these were down in the $15 range I'd be comfortable buying more.

If any MN guys are planning to buy some of these, please let me know and maybe we can group order to save on shipping or something.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: December 8, 2015, 11:19 AM »
had no idea there was a "premium" 4" figure market out there.

Consider yourself lucky.  With the Hasbro slow-down the past few years, I found my way into the premium 4" market.  It is expensive, but there is some really, really awesome stuff out there if you go looking for it and are willing to pay for it.

If any MN guys are planning to buy some of these, please let me know and maybe we can group order to save on shipping or something.

I'm still trying to decide...  I think I need at least two black skeletons (Owen and Beru? :P) might need an accessory set to go with them... still trying to decide if I want a spartan, a gorgon or one of each.   :-\
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 8, 2015, 11:22 AM »
Yeah, the Legends of Cthulhu figures would be another good comparison. That started out as a Kickstarter campaign too and the 4 basic figures still hover around $20 each many months later. I didn't have a problem with it because they are very well done and I appreciate supporting toys from a property I really enjoy. But no question it would be hard to keep up with if they were cranking stuff out as regularly as Hasbro.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 8, 2015, 11:54 AM »

I'm interested Justin, but I'll be patient.  I'll be interested to see if they offer any bundles/deals once these are out on the market.

My oldest just read all of the Percy Jackson books and would dig a Medusa and some of the other mythological stuff.

I personally think the Spartans look cool.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #26 on: December 8, 2015, 06:40 PM »
had no idea there was a "premium" 4" figure market out there.

Consider yourself lucky.  With the Hasbro slow-down the past few years, I found my way into the premium 4" market.  It is expensive, but there is some really, really awesome stuff out there if you go looking for it and are willing to pay for it.

Yeah, while I think people would go ape**** over half this stuff if they bought even one thing, it's a definite slippery slope then.

I've gone all-in on the Acid Rain...  I started out "no figures, only a few vehicles".  I now have 4 of the "Stronghold" vehicle, 2 Mk2 Speeders, 1 Mk1 Speeder, 3 Laurels, and all the figures but two, and multiples of most.  I also have the LE hand-painted "playset" (in the collector sense...  IE: glorified "scene/stand").  I don't have the exclusives to cons, which are highly limited and 90% are for overseas shows as it's an import Chinese line and only does SDCC in the states via their importer.

The line's expanding, but it expands slowly.  THe guy who created it pulls inspiration from quite a bit, and he does all the prototype painting himself I guess so the paint masters are ready.

Hiya is sort of similar but deals with licenses, and circumventing licenses in the US.

It's lots of awesomeness though.  I mean, I got the Hot TOys Snap Kit Aliens figures back in the day, and in a case they were reasonable.  Kind of what a good SW figure is today.  Those, also being imports, I'd assume would be a hefty mark-up now.  And the Hiya Aliens: Colonial Marines figures go amazingly well with those HT Snap Kit Aliens figures.  And Hiya is kind of sneaking around the Aliens license to make Aliens things, by putting it under the Aliens: CM banner.  It's all weird.

Bossfight is on their own doing unlicensed stuff for the US, so that's cool that it'll be a lil more affordable.  Enough I'll pick up a few of those I'm sure.  I'd like some skeletons, and at least one Spartan really.

I've been eyeing up Marauder Inc's figs too.  I mean they're really cool.  Skull deco baclava heads, customizability...  They're working on a woman figure now too.

There are other lines/companies too.  There's one for Forgotten Planet iirc which is US based, and make really nice figures, but for a property I had never heard of/had no interest in really.  Nice toys though.

Hell, they still make 1/18 airplanes/military stuff now and again, but that's now up to insane prices as they don't have big box retailer backing any longer.  The prices are probably fair (mostly modern stuff so I don't have interest), but makes a $20 figure look cheap.  :-X

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #27 on: January 4, 2016, 11:57 AM »
Have the kickstarter orders been shipped out yet?
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: January 4, 2016, 08:16 PM »
I think it's getting close.  I don't keep super close tabs. 

Marauder's line of soldiers is shipping as my brother's arrived at my house (safer place to get stuff shipped to) and it looks insanely cool.  Wish there was a line of "tag along" Star Wars guys like this.  :-X  Like generic dudes you just add stuff too.

I like SW style articulation better over Joe style, but those Marauder guys look cool.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #29 on: June 2, 2016, 01:02 AM »
My brother bigtime backed this kickstarter, and I gotta say, Boss Fight made some AMAZING stuff.  I opened the box (came to my house) and the skeleton may be one of the most finely engineered action figures I've ever seen, in every way.  Boss Fight knocked that figure alone out of the park.  I'm hooked and ordering a couple figures now.  I can't afford to go "all in" on this line but I'm definitely picking up 5 or so figures and a small skeleton hoard.