Author Topic: 1/6 R2-D2 Coming Soon  (Read 4726 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
1/6 R2-D2 Coming Soon
« on: April 28, 2014, 08:47 PM »
R2-D2 is now on the way, and wow did that Teaser Video leave you wanting more!

Looks like some kind of, at the very least, magnetic doors to open up...  I'm wondering if there isn't a good deal of metal on him though, and the magnet was that little tool they were using to open his panels?

That's pretty awesome if he's largely made of metal though.  I love stuff like that.

This one looks to be pricey though...  But still you'd think they'd be able to re-use him a good deal, so maybe like the Battledroids, he won't be too bad on the wallet.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Re: 1/6 R2-D2 Coming Soon
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:12 PM »
It does look pretty awesome. I wish they would have done R2/3PO/Chewbacca when i was still buying the sideshow figures.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 09:32 PM »
What do you Sideshow experts think the rough cost on this thing will be?
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 09:48 PM »
It's listed as "Deluxe" so I don't know if that means just lights, or lights/sounds, or what.  Vader was Deluxe IIRC and he was NOT cheap.

That said, I think price is sometimes determined by reusability...  The Battledroids are all new tooling but easily repainted to get a few uses, so I'd think R2-D2 falls into that category somewhat, but electronics can bump something a lot I think. 

Those myriad of opening panels too...  Looks complex.

I'm thinking this could be over $200 easily.  Less than $300 though.  Just my guess right now...  Depends if he just lights up, or lights/sounds, and how complex that lighting is.  It looked like it might be fairly complex.  It's a much more pricey/complex tooling than the Battledroids too, IMO.

I'm just guessing though, and not an expert.  This could be off the charts expensive though, or just on the charts expensive.

If it's metal, which I doubt but those doors seemed to be some kind of metal or magnet, I'd say that would increase any cost by a ton.  Didn't they do an all metal 3PO?  I don't know what he cost, but he was pretty damn expensive IIRC.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 12:01 AM »
Thanks Jesse. Compared to me, you're an expert.

People at Robblescum were speculating it would be $100-200.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 12:13 AM »
I think $100's a bit on the wishful thinking side but I bet they're partially thinking along the lines of the Battledroids.  To me, while shorter, he's appearing 20 billion times more complex, and electronics are actually not cheap contrary to what people like to make up, so yeah I'm not sure I'd be as confident to say $100...  I could see $150 maybe.  Sideshow's cool, but prices have steadily risen and shortness doesn't seem to matter for ****, so I think $200 at least.

I paid a lot for my new Vader (one of the only SS figures I own), and he has only a couple lights on his chest and belt boxes.  This R2 looks like a Laser Floyd show in a box.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #6 on: May 2, 2014, 10:37 AM »
I'm guessing $250. Looks awesome.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #7 on: May 4, 2014, 10:31 AM »
Bump. I am hearing $150. Not a bad price for what all is included.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #8 on: May 4, 2014, 12:19 PM »
$150 it is.

Looks fantastic.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: May 4, 2014, 08:19 PM »
Wow yeah we were pretty on with the guessing.  Curious how they'll reuse this mold.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #10 on: May 6, 2014, 01:11 AM »
That is absolutely amazing!  After getting all the Obi-Wans I said I was done with Sideshow....perhaps not!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: May 6, 2014, 01:26 AM »
I'm very reluctantly passing...  but it's hard.  I have so much other stuff going on I want that this is something I'm gonna not get.  I got Vader, and I need to control myself on these 1/6 guys and just admire them from afar.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #12 on: May 6, 2014, 01:30 AM »
Yeah, the only SSC I regret passing on, ever, is the Gamorrean Guard -- and that one I have planned to substitute with a repainted Hasbro, whenever I find the time and can locate a cheap one on eBay. I don't see myself a year from now thinking "shucks!" on R2. The Hasbro version is pretty good, from what I remember.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #13 on: May 6, 2014, 02:43 AM »
All those mini 12" figs Hasbro did were perfectly fine Sideshow Companions...  It won't have a fraction of the bells and whistles as this one, but I mean, who cares?  It's a solid R2 figure to just stand there, or whatever.

They didn't do a ton of shorter 12" guys but they did Yoda, Jawa, R2, R5-D4...  Another R2 or two IIRC?  They're all pretty good stuff.

I felt their 3PO and some other figures really hold up well next to SSC stuff too...  You'll get more with the SSC obviously, but at the same time what more do you really need out of some characters?  If it weren't for the velcro back uniforms, I'd feel far better about some of their human/alien figures too...  I know I'd just get Dragon bodies cheap off Ebay to refit my Rebel Pilots and some others if those damn uniforms weren't so cheap.  Or if I knew someone able to sew me up the base costume at least, and just swap over the stuff like hats and gear.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: June 2, 2016, 06:21 PM »
I recently picked this up with a 25.00 off coupon from Sideshow. It is a huge let down. Its floppy and the paint just isn't great. Huge letdown after getting R5-D4, which was awesome.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"