Author Topic: 'From Star Wars to Jedi' Documentary  (Read 6598 times)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
'From Star Wars to Jedi' Documentary
« on: August 18, 2006, 04:32 PM »
I was watching the original VHS release of the OT (circa 1980's) this past week in anticipation of the DVD release next month and came across the preview add for the 'From Star Wars to Jedi' documentary that was supposed to be released at the same time.

Does anyone have a copy of this?  If you do, does any of the footage match the footage that was in documentary in the OT DVD releases from 2005?  I just wonder if it's worth tracking down a copy on VHS from ebay or another source.  If it's the same footage that was used for last year's documentary then I won't bother.

Let me know.  Thanks.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: 'From Star Wars to Jedi' Documentary
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 08:35 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of this?  If you do, does any of the footage match the footage that was in documentary in the OT DVD releases from 2005?  I just wonder if it's worth tracking down a copy on VHS from ebay or another source.  If it's the same footage that was used for last year's documentary then I won't bother.

I've got a copy on VHS, and a few weeks ago, after not having watched it for a good decade or so, I got nostalgic to see it again, so I popped it in. . .  and my VCR promptly ate it (then I promptly threw out my VCR). 

So, I still haven't seen it in a long time, but I still have a pretty good memory of it after watching it dozens of times back in the day.  To the best of my knowledge, most of the footage was not duplicated for the 2004 bonus disc.  One of the things that always irked me about FSWTJ was that it focused too much on the ". . .to Jedi" stuff, and not as much on the "From Star Wars. . ." stuff.  (It does make sense, though, because at the time, Jedi was the new film, and the others already had their own documentaries made.)  But the 2004 supplements were focused mainly on the first film, and not as much on the latter two.  So no, I don't think there's a whole lot of duplication there.  FSWTJ spends a lot of time on the creation of Jabba and his minions, and on the Speeder Bike chase, IIRC, so if you're interested in that stuff, I'd say it's probably worth tracking down.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 02:42 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if FSWTJ ends up in a future DVD release along with the SW and Empire documentaries.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 08:39 AM »
Thanks for the insight guys.  I actually wasn't aware of the SW and ESB documentaries you both mentioned.  I think that I am going to pick up FSWTJ the next time I see it up for auction.  I think that the last one I saw sold for $5 including shipping.  At that price how can I say no?!
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 04:15 PM »
I keep watching ebay for copies of this (they seem to show up fairly often), but haven't pulled the trigger on buying one yet.  I do remember seeing this a few times on TV as a kid, and really enjoying it.  I kind of like watching the "behind the scenes" type stuff, particularly for the OT.  Like Matt mentioned, I seem to remember it focusing more on Jedi as well.  I was sort of hoping this would have been on the bonus disc with the original OT DVD release - hopefully we'll see it at some point.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #5 on: September 1, 2011, 02:48 AM »
Three year bump!

This is on YouTube in full if anyone wants to watch it.  65 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaMWTDwogbo
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 1, 2011, 04:39 PM »
I found my VHS copy of this a few months ago.  But the quality of the version on YouTube looks way better.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 3, 2011, 12:31 AM »
They should have made Crumb talk in the movie.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline User897

• Youngling
  • Ancient Spirit of Evil
    • View Profile
    • User897 - Logged In
« Reply #8 on: September 7, 2011, 01:53 AM »
I have this on DVD, sourced from LaserDisc.  It should have been included in the Blu-ray extras, but is not.  Doesn't matter anyway, since I am NOT buying the Blu-rays thanks to George's insanity.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 09:57 PM »
The Star Wars YouTube channel has posted two segments of From Star Wars to Jedi:  The Making of a Saga.  It's nice to see material like this coming officially from Lucasfilm. 

PART 1

PART 2
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback