Author Topic: Medicom 6" MAFEX Star Wars figures  (Read 17130 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Medicom 6" MAFEX Star Wars figures
« Reply #30 on: July 6, 2016, 11:25 PM »
Bandai's all masked guys so far with the kits

You mean Bandai's model group is all masked guys so far.  Bandai's action figure group, Tamashii Nations, is responsible for the S.H.Figuarts stuff.  So Bandai's got plenty of killer human heads out there too.  ;)

« Last Edit: July 6, 2016, 11:26 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #31 on: July 6, 2016, 11:59 PM »
Yeah I should've changed that...  Bandai's kits are all masked/droids, but they're damn fine figures once built.  The astromechs may be unmatched IMHO.

I almost consider Tamashii Nations/SH Figuarts a separate thing all together...  but they're killing likenesses.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 7, 2016, 10:22 AM »
Yeah, pricey (the 3PO/R2 set ended up costing around $100, though that included the express overseas shipping I sprang for) but they really are worth every penny. And to be fair, most of the figures made have been helmeted characters or droids just like the model kits. Rey will be the first MAFEX human character, and the first non-SH Figuarts human character from any of these lines.

Hasbro made a HUGE mistake with their product drought from 2013-2015. They had a 2 year head start on these Japanese companies making the 6 inch figures, and they did nothing to lock the American market down. There was nothing to buy on the pegs, so I figured what the heck, I'll blow a spare $40 on one of these figures... they blew me away and I've never looked back.

I get that Hasbro is, as Jesse said, the budget line, and they've made a lot of figures the Japanese companies will probably never touch, but there are often times where you have to ask if a Hasbro figure is worth the $20 while I've never felt like I wasted money on the Japanese products.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2016, 09:28 PM »
Rey and ROTS Vader are up for preorder!

Rey at HLJ
Vader at HLJ

Rey at AmiAmi
Vader at AmiAmi

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2016, 04:14 PM »
My ESB Boba Fett arrived at HLJ. I've paid for it but probably won't ship it over here for a few more weeks since I have some other stuff set to arrive in stock at the end of the month.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2016, 02:26 PM »
Got a large package in the mail today from HLJ, containing the ESB Boba Fett and First Order Stormtrooper. ROTJ Boba Fett is on its way too, via much slower shipping.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 6, 2017, 09:29 AM »
Finally got ROTJ Boba Fett after a 6 week wait. I shipped it here with the cheapest available option to save $10. Never again.

I've kept most of my stuff carded, but opened this one up. It's such a great figure! I've heard reports of loose joints but everything on mine is great so far. Only "bad" thing is that the wrist ball-joints pop apart easily, but they're also easy to snap back together. ESB Boba is supposed to be an even better figure so maybe I'll get around to opening it some day.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 5, 2017, 04:45 PM »
Got a payment request for Phasma but I'm letting it sit in my HLJ Private Warehouse for a few weeks. Kylo Ren and 3PO/BB-8 arrived in the mail the other day. Some brief thoughts:

BB-8 is fun, but there isn't much to do with it. I haven't opened my Hasbro version but this one uses magnets to move the head, not unlike the Sphero BB-8. You can swap out a panel and put in the lighter when he does the "thumbs up" to Finn.

3PO is GREAT to look at, but a bit of a mess. I haven't opened the OT MAFEX 3PO that came with R2, but I've heard bad things. This one just feels fragile. The joints come off, but I'm not sure if that was on purpose or not. They're easy to pop back into place though. I still think Revoltech has the best 6 inch version of 3PO on the market, even if the vac metalization looks great on this version.

Kylo Ren, I had heard bad things about it, but I LOVE the figure. The robe is a bit bulky but it hides the weird joints of the figure. I LOVE the hood. Medicom threw in a wire at the edge so you can adjust it so it covers Kylo's helmet perfectly. They also added vac metal to the silver portions of Kylo's helmet and it looks AMAZING. Legit only complaint is that the Adam Driver headsculpt looks nothing like Adam Driver at all, which led me to buy a few unmasked Kylo Hasbro figures on the cheap to use the heads. The Hasbro version of Vader's melty helmet is also much better than Medicom's.

But yeah, Kylo gets a high recommendation from me.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2017, 09:32 AM »
I got some Japanese figures in the mail last week, specifically Phasma, Rey and ROTS Vader. Haven't opened Vader, but he comes with cool "crossed" hands, which allow you to pose him with his arms crossed like at the end of ROTS.

Rey is a pretty fun figure though, with a TON of accessories. My only complaints re with the quality of the figure: the left arm falls off since the peg is too small (had to fix that with a dab of Krazy Glue), and the hands are way too small, so putting the lightsaber or blaster in her hands takes a good 2-3 minutes.

Phasma is alright, I enjoy the vac-metal with "dirt" weathering they did, but it's just kind of a boring figure, much like the character. Looks good standing behind Kylo, but not much else you can do with it.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 09:33 AM by Diddly »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2017, 11:00 AM »
Is there a good resource anywhere with a complete listing of the SW figures released in this line? I have tried cobbling one together but apparently there are a lot more than I thought.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2017, 01:55 PM »
Is there a good resource anywhere with a complete listing of the SW figures released in this line?

http://www.medicomtoy.co.jp/prod/3/27/1/

But it's all of their movie/TV lines together so you just have to look for the SW figures...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2017, 09:50 PM »
Off the top of my head:

PT:
- Darth Vader (ROTS) (2016)
- Clone Trooper (AOTC/ROTS swappable heads) (2017)

OT:
- Darth Vader (ROTJ) (2015)
- Stormtrooper (2015)
- Boba Fett (ESB) (2016)
- Boba Fett (ROTJ) (2016)
- Sandtrooper (2017)
- Darth Vader (Hologram) (2016)

TFA:
- Kylo Ren (2017)
- Captain Phasma (2017)
- Rey (2017)
- FN-2187 (2017)
- C-3PO/BB-8 2 pack (2017)
- Stormtrooper (2016)

Rogue One:
- Darth Vader (2017)
- Shoretrooper (2017)
- Death Trooper (2017)

Be aware that not only are these taller than other figures (they trend around 7" tall), but there are also some serious quality control issues with a lot of the figures... loose joints, fragile weapons, etc. It's a crap shoot. The only figure I've really had a problem with is the Rey, whose arm completely shattered.

The Boba Fetts will probably be the hardest and most expensive to track down (they're the best figures from the line) but everything else can be found fairly cheap. I also recommend the Rogue One Vader over the other 3.