Author Topic: SW Stand-Alone Boba Fett Movie - Cancelled  (Read 9424 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
SW Stand-Alone Boba Fett Movie - Cancelled
« on: June 4, 2014, 12:12 PM »
No word on the content or the timing, but StarWars.com says...

Josh Trank To Direct Stand-Alone Star Wars Film

In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney continue development of multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. The newest director to come on board is Josh Trank.

"We're thrilled to welcome Josh into the family," says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. "He is such an incredible talent and has a great imagination and sense of innovation. That makes him perfectly suited to Star Wars, and for this new slate of movies that reach beyond the core characters and storylines of Episodes I through IX."

Trank states, "The magic of the Star Wars Universe defined my entire childhood. The opportunity to expand on that experience for future generations is the most incredible dream of all time."

Trank captured imaginations worldwide with his critically lauded directorial debut Chronicle, a fresh and engaging take on the superhero genre. Trank is currently at work on The Fantastic Four for 20th Century Fox.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 05:21 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars Spin-Off #2 - The Thread!
« Reply #1 on: May 1, 2015, 07:41 PM »
And, just like that - no more Trank.

JOSH TRANK DEPARTS STAR WARS ANTHOLOGY FILM

Josh Trank No Longer Directing ‘Star Wars’ Spinoff

Speculation all over the map.
Theory 1 - creative differences over movie's direction
Theory 2 - Disney pissed he left Celebration to do FF promo work for Fox because he was "sick"
Theory 3 - He got a better offer from someone else to do something else

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 1, 2015, 09:59 PM »
Nerdist ran a piece that mentioned some major discord behind the scenes of the Trank helmed FF movie.  And there's been a healthy amount of speculation that the FF reboot could be a bomb.  Considering those factors, you have to think that Kathleen Kennedy and maybe even Bob Iger lost some faith in Trank's ability to deliver a film worthy of a place in the Star Wars canon.

And then when you add in this new rumor that Joss Whedon has expressed significant interest in directing a Star Wars film?  You get the sense that Joss taking on this project became much more likely.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: May 2, 2015, 12:51 AM »
[ And there's been a healthy amount of speculation that the FF reboot could be a bomb. 

I think you misspelled Trailer.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 2, 2015, 04:59 PM »
This Hollywood Reporter article seems to indicate that nobody is in a hurry to defend Josh Trank and the way he conducted himself on the set of the FF reboot.  And it seems that producer Simon Kinberg likely had a significant role in pushing for Trank to be fired from the second Star Wars anthology film.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: May 4, 2015, 10:07 PM »
Some more steam around this one being about Boba Fett

http://avc.lu/1FLMCpc

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Spin-Off #? - Boba Fett?
« Reply #6 on: July 7, 2015, 07:57 PM »
So, with the announcement that young Han is #2, I wonder what the status of the Fett movie is?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 05:17 PM »
Some stuff on this movie from the EW Han Solo movie story:

Kennedy did provide an update on the state of that movie, which has not yet hired a new director. In short: don’t worry, it’s not going away.

“It’s still one of the stories that we absolutely want to tell,” she says. “There is a lot of innovative technology in and around what it is we’re doing with that story, so for a lot of reasons, we were comfortable postponing that. But we’re definitely still developing it.”

It doesn’t have a date, but it will probably come in 2020, after the conclusion of this new trilogy with Episode IX in 2019.

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 11:34 AM »
More rumors are circulating about the possible Boba Fett film.  Check out THIS COMIC BOOK MOVIE POSTING which discusses the possibility of Lucasfilm casting actor Michael B. Jordan as the bounty hunter for this project.

There's more on this from The Wrap writer Jeff Sneider on the Meet the Movie Press Podcast.  It was Sneider who reported on ousted director Josh Trank's behavior on the set of FANTASTIC FOUR, which is cited as the reason why he was kicked off of the Boba Fett project.

Feedback

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 2, 2017, 06:26 AM »
Dusting this off, because I read something before SWCO that this project might still be in development.

The rumors I've heard say that this project may not just focus on Boba Fett, and it may actually feature a number of bounty hunters on some sort of mission.  So it may be more of an ensemble kind of story.  Will it get into some EU territory like the bounty hunters guild?  That could make for some interesting callbacks to established material.

A story pitch that I'd like to see including the bounty hunters might take place between the events of A NEW HOPE and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.  Just how did the Empire learn the identity of the rebel who destroyed the Death Star?  How did Darth Vader make that connection between the X-wing pilot he came close to shooting down during the trench run, and the son he didn't know he had?  That might be a story worth telling that employs the bounty hunters.

Rumor also has it that the next anthology / spin-off movie may get announced over the summer.  I would think that could be at either D23 or SDCC.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2017, 06:42 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 2, 2017, 06:52 AM »
If they go the Skywalker reveal route, they will step on their toes.  The Darth Vader comic series has covered how Vader found out about Luke.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 2, 2017, 10:10 AM »
Maybe they can get Daniel Logan to play Boba Fett again? He is the right age but probably not enough acting skills.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #12 on: May 2, 2017, 11:46 AM »
If they go the Skywalker reveal route, they will step on their toes.  The Darth Vader comic series has covered how Vader found out about Luke.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing something like that in a movie.  I thought Marvel did a good job with that one.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 2, 2017, 12:38 PM »
My inside sources say its going to be bounty hunter version of "Weekend at Bernies", but with bounty hunters and Ziro the Hutt.

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Read all about it at The Hollywood Reporter.  Writer/Director  James Mangold is reportedly attached to the long rumored Boba Fett movie.

An interesting note?  Writer/Producer Simon Kinberg had previously been reported as working on the Boba Fett film, and had the originally slated director fired based on his conduct in the production of the Fantastic 4 reboot.  Kinberg has a history of working with Mangold, most recently on "Logan".  Given their previous working relationship?  Hiring Mangold makes sense.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:02 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback