Author Topic: 6" Black Series Cantina Showdown 2-Pack  (Read 9953 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
6" Black Series Cantina Showdown 2-Pack
« on: June 13, 2014, 02:52 PM »
So, Andrewz Toys posted this:  6" Cantina Showdown 2-Pack

Yeah...  a 2-pack of figures that everyone already probably owns.   Huh.  ??? 

No word on if this set is some kind of store exclusive (could be the rumored TRU Cantina set?) or if its the first of potentially many "battle pack" ideas for the 6" figure line.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
Re: 6" Black Series Cantina Showdown 2-Pack
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 02:59 PM »
"They must really be desperate"
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 03:04 PM »
That's uh... interesting? It certainly looks like a cool package for MIB collectors, but I can't see this as appealing to other collectors or parents/kids/gift givers.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 03:14 PM »
It looks kind of neat, but yeah, most everyone already has those.  If the Cantina stuff was sculpted plastic it might be more tempting, that being said depending on price/availability I would maybe pick one up to leave boxed since its Han and one of my favorite scenes.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 04:01 PM »
Yeah, I can't justify the expense for a cruddy cardboard table. If they had bothered to put an ounce of effort into this set and given us plastic chairs and table, etc I would have bitten. This is really a weak effort.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 04:59 PM »
Yeah, I can't justify the expense for a cruddy cardboard table. If they had bothered to put an ounce of effort into this set and given us plastic chairs and table, etc I would have bitten. This is really a weak effort.

I'm glad Hasbro didn't add in extra accessories. I hate seeing some new pieces added to straight repack figures, especially when the figures are relatively high priced to begin with.

Going forward this would be a cool format for repainted and retooled figures. A pair of Clone Officers or Mynock Hunt Han and Chewie would be pretty nice.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 05:13 PM »
Funny how this (and the Endor set) has a nice backdrop/environment scene, but Jabba and the speeder bike are floating in a black void.
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 05:14 PM »
No word on if this set is some kind of store exclusive (could be the rumored TRU Cantina set?) or if its the first of potentially many "battle pack" ideas for the 6" figure line.
The rumored titles certainly line up
http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/Hasbro_Three_New_Toys_R_Us_Exclusive_MultiPacks_Planned_158228.asp

But the pricepoint seems off...could be the Euro pricing though vs actual US MSRP.  Although this is TRU so it could be $67 for two figures we already have and cardboard.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Would people be willing to drop $60-$70, even if they didn't own the figs already, just because they had a plastic table and chairs?

Bear in mind this same group the question is being asked is the same group that hates anything $30 or more seemingly regardless of what it is due to that being the weird threshold financially that people hit.

4" stuff like that's unrealistic so 6" seems even more so.  It's a nice way to display it to sell it but they should've launched both figures like this or tried at least a variation of Greedo with a blast wound somehow.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 10:52 AM »
I wonder if when Hasbro planned this they were thinking 'these early Black Series figures will be scarce when fall 2014 comes around.' Ah, no. If it's anything other than that, I have no idea what the idea is here.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 07:28 PM »
Would people be willing to drop $60-$70, even if they didn't own the figs already, just because they had a plastic table and chairs?

Based on the several pages of comments I just read over at the RS thread, it seems like the general consensus is that something new would have been better than nothing, and I tend to agree, but my collecting habits are not generally driven by the financial aspect. I just want more cool stuff.  :)

I can certainly understand the counter argument though that this would be even more off-putting to many collectors, having actual sculpted accessories mixed in with a bunch of crappy repacks.

Heck, I'd just prefer a set of only accessories anyway, why even bother with the figures?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 04:04 PM »
Ugh.  Really?  Greedo has been the worst pegwarmer of the TBS 6" figure line.  And now you can find the 6" Han Solo relatively easily in a number of stores.  This multipack would have been much better received if the two basic figures hadn't already been offered.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 10:08 AM »
I wonder if when Hasbro planned this they were thinking 'these early Black Series figures will be scarce when fall 2014 comes around.' Ah, no. If it's anything other than that, I have no idea what the idea is here.
Right?  Greedo, while pretty awesome, is now in the encyclopedia as 6-Inch's entry under "pegwarmer" next to Malakili. 

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 10:09 AM »
A no-brainer two pack would have been two Stormies. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 12:53 PM »
A no-brainer two pack would have been two Stormies.

How about a 3-pack of identical Boba Fett figures.  Now we're talking.  Yes, I'm being sarcastic.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today