Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)  (Read 165113 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2015, 02:10 PM »
I'm sure they are following the Marvel formula.  Kathleen Kennedy and the executive producers have an idea on where the story will ultimately go, and they give direction to the writers and directors on how to get there.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2015, 06:34 PM »
I think its mostly okay for the anthology movies to get a little weird, but I'm hoping there is a clear vision for main Star Wars movies.

Exactly.  I'd rather see them try some new stuff with the Spin offs versus messing with the main line films.  I'm sure there's enough people involved with approving it that they can't mess it up too bad.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2015, 10:58 AM »
I'm sure they are following the Marvel formula.  Kathleen Kennedy and the executive producers have an idea on where the story will ultimately go, and they give direction to the writers and directors on how to get there.

I hope they don't follow it too closely, that Marvel stuff has gotten so stale it's nearly unwatchable.  Every movie is the exact same thing at this point. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 2, 2016, 08:50 AM »
Rumors have been circulating about the possibility of Hayden Christensen reprising his role as Anakin Skywalker in the new sequel trilogy.  Check out THIS VANITY FAIR ARTICLE which offers up some possibilities about how Anakin might be portrayed as a Force spirit.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 2, 2016, 11:38 AM »

I hope they don't follow it too closely, that Marvel stuff has gotten so stale it's nearly unwatchable.  Every movie is the exact same thing at this point.

???  Really?  They all have a very different feel to me.  Even the fringe stories that should bomb (Guardians, Ant Man) have been fantastic and huge box office successes.  What don't you like?

I think Matt is comparing the basic things principles across the movies.  Lots of action mixed with a little humor and characters that don't take themselves too seriously.  It seems to be working pretty well for them so far.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2016, 12:46 PM »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2016, 01:21 PM »
It's not Star Wars without a scoundrel in it.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2016, 02:44 PM »
Episode VIII Officially Delayed until Dec 15, 2017

Today, Disney and Lucasfilm announced that Star Wars: Episode VIII, originally scheduled for release in summer 2017, will now debut on December 15, 2017.

The move follows the extraordinary success of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was the first Star Wars movie to premiere outside the traditional summer blockbuster window and smashed numerous records, including biggest domestic and global debuts of all time as well as the biggest domestic second and third weekends, en route to becoming the highest grossing domestic release of all time with over $861.3 million and the third biggest global release ever with $1,886.7 billion.

Written and directed by Rian Johnson, Star Wars: Episode VIII is currently in preproduction and will begin principal photography in London next month. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman will produce and J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin, and Tom Karnowski will executive produce. Stay tuned for exciting updates in the coming weeks.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:45 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2016, 02:55 PM »
Can't tell if I'm bummed at waiting an extra 6 months to see Ep8 or if I'm glad they'll have more time now to really get it right.

Also would like to know more about the decision...  can't tell if it's based on a desire to separate Disney's dominance (Marvel blockbusters in the Summer, Star Wars in the winter) or if it's a direct shot off the bow of Avatar 2, which is currently scheduled to open ten days after Ep8 now (Dec 25, 2017).
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 03:15 PM »
If it helps them deliver a better movie, I'm all for a later release.  And it also looks like Disney wants to own the summer with Marvel and Christmas time with Star Wars. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2016, 03:31 PM »
From a movie perspective I really don't care when they release it, so long as its done well.

From a toy perspective I would much prefer to have them release it in May, or any time other than December.  With Disney/JJ's desire for secrecy and the close proximity with Christmas, it turned out that the toy release time frame was way too compressed.  I'm sure Hasbro did their best, but you're asking for trouble if you're trying to hold half of your movie based toys for the week before Christmas.

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 03:31 PM »
I like it myself.  It is also smart from an economic standpoint.  I bet Avatar 2 gets "delayed".

I originally wanted TFA to maintain the May release schedule, but the December release allowed me to see it several more times due to my annual end of the year vacation.  Rogue One has a December release, so I say stick to the December releases for the Disney Star Wars movies.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2016, 04:50 PM »
Rational Me: This move is for the best. Allows for them to finish the rewrites (rumored to expand new character roles) and make a better overall movie and trilogy. Plus it gives Avengers and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 room to breathe, and I thing Toy Story 4 is out that summer too. Plus there was something cool about having a week off at Christmas and being able to go see a Star Wars movie in theaters as much as I wanted.

Irrational Me: DAMMIT CAN'T YOU DISNEY CLOWNS DO ANYTHING RIGHT?!? I COULD LITERALLY BE DEAD BEFORE THIS NEW STORY ARC COMPLETES. HOW THE HELL HARD IS IT TO MAKE A BLOCKBUSTER MOVIE?!? NOW WE DON'T HAVE A STAR WARS MOVIE TO CELEBRATE THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE FRANCHISE!!!!! STOP RUNNING THIS FRANCHISE INTO THE GROUND YOU FOOLS.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2016, 06:58 AM »
My big question is, will they make Episodes X, XI, and XII?  I am going to guess that Episode VIII and IX won't beat TFA at the box office if they follow the pattern of the past two trilogies.  With a December release, it may be different.

After Episode IX, we are supposed to get another anthology movie, that has yet to been announced.  Ewan McGregor has said he wants to play Obi-Wan again.  There have been rumors of an Obi-Wan trilogy, but I wonder how they would make that happen with Obi-Wan supposed to be living on Tatooine.

Back in the Lucas days, which he claims he never said, there was talk of both nine and twelve episodes.  I believe the twelve episode plan involved two trilogies based around Luke, Leia, and Han with the Emperor showing up in the second of those trilogies.  At this point, I would think another trilogy would focus around Rey rebuilding the Jedi ten or so years down the road from the current trilogy.

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2016, 10:45 PM »
Episode VIII Officially Delayed until Dec 15, 2017

Today, Disney and Lucasfilm announced that Star Wars: Episode VIII, originally scheduled for release in summer 2017, will now debut on December 15, 2017.

The move follows the extraordinary success of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, which was the first Star Wars movie to premiere outside the traditional summer blockbuster window and smashed numerous records, including biggest domestic and global debuts of all time as well as the biggest domestic second and third weekends, en route to becoming the highest grossing domestic release of all time with over $861.3 million and the third biggest global release ever with $1,886.7 billion.

Written and directed by Rian Johnson, Star Wars: Episode VIII is currently in preproduction and will begin principal photography in London next month. Kathleen Kennedy and Ram Bergman will produce and J.J. Abrams, Jason McGatlin, and Tom Karnowski will executive produce. Stay tuned for exciting updates in the coming weeks.

Somehow I kind of called that.  So maybe then Episode IX of Star Wars will be December of 2019.