Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)  (Read 165621 times)

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2017, 02:55 PM »
The planet with the AT-ATs and rescue flare podracers is called Crait
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2017, 07:24 PM »
Because Krayt would have made too much sense. Home of dragons and Sith Lords!

Cool stuff, couldn't hear the audio much at work. I think the most intriguing scene is that weird platform on the cliff that looks all Sithy. And smashed Vader helmet.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2017, 07:55 PM »
"I only know one truth.  It's time for the Jedi......to end."

Chills!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 14, 2017, 08:56 PM »
McMetal, I thought that was Kylo's helmet that was smashed...
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2017, 09:10 AM »

This is something that I've been thinking about ever since the title got announced.  I'm really interested to see where this goes.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2017, 04:37 PM »

This is something that I've been thinking about ever since the title got announced.  I'm really interested to see where this goes.

I think its just creative editing.  My insiders tell me its just Luke and Rey arguing about what to have for lunch.  The full text is, "It's time for the Jedi to end drinking blue milk"!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2017, 07:52 PM »

I think its just creative editing.  My insiders tell me its just Luke and Rey arguing about what to have for lunch.  The full text is, "It's time for the Jedi to end drinking blue milk"!

Ever the optimist!

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2017, 10:18 PM »
I think its just creative editing.

I've read more than a few theories that the lines are mixed and that "I only know one truth" is Luke and "It's time for the Jedi to end" is some one else (Benicio? Snoke?).

Don't know if I believe it, but it's possible I guess...  after 43 years of walkman/discman/ipod/iphone earbud use, my ears aren't what they once were to tell subtle differences like that. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2017, 10:53 PM »
After watching the trailer a few times I think the Time for the Jedi to End line is probably pretty early in the movie and that Rey somehow changes his mind.

Or...Luke means the Jedi need to evolve into something more.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 18, 2017, 06:20 AM »
I'm leaning towards the Jedi becoming something more.  And that's why Luke went to find the first Jedi Temple, and has sought out what appear to be ancient texts. 

One of the lessons of the prequels seems to have been that the Jedi Order may have become to enamored of it's own status as an institution, and too rigid.  It's along some of these lines that I think Rian Johnson may show some of his affinity for the prequels.  Does anyone remember the maverick nature of Qui-Gon Jinn and his adherence to the Living Force?  Or Obi-Wan chiding Qui-Gon because he didn't listen to the Jedi Council?  Because I suspect the Living Force could play a role in what Luke has learned in the 30 plus years since the Battle of Endor.

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 18, 2017, 08:14 AM »
That rigidity was all over the place though. 

Jedi have no possessions but have their own lightsabers with their favorite color on it. 
Same with their ships. 
Their uniforms were varied, especially on the females. 
They give up their past yet some had adornments that honored their race

But Yoda did mention pride as a bad thing amongst Jedi, so there is a good explanation for the above.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2017, 12:05 PM »
I don't know that the Jedi "rules" were intended to say everyone must dress the same and have everything equal among them.  I took the message to mean that any real concern over possessions or specific people was dangerous because fear of losing your stuff or loved ones can lead you to abuse your powers in order to protect it.  That doesn't mean that they can't show some preference for blue versus green or pick out their own clothes or honor their heritage though.  They can have all that cool stuff, they just aren't supposed to form an attachment to it. 

I think they need to tread very carefully on this with the next movie.  Anakin's fall and the destruction of the Jedi was all based on his fear of losing Padme.  The rules weren't wrong in that regard.  Luke seems to easily cast off his attachments - his home, his T-16, his landspeeder, his aunt/uncle.  And when Vader taunts him about his sister, he starts treading that dark side line.  Sure seems like they have built up a lot of history as this being the right path for force users.  Maybe you could argue that Vader's attachment to his son is what brings him back to the light, but even there the wording from Vader is "Tell your sister you were right, there was still good in me" versus "I couldn't bear to lose my son to the Emperor." 

I'm sure the movie will be awesome, but I always get a little concerned when they start mucking with the learning/morales from previous films.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 23, 2017, 08:40 AM »
Check out these Vanity Fair covers.  VF has 4 x exclusive covers featuring the cast of THE LAST JEDI as photographed by Annie Liebovitz.

A the Star Wars franchise prepares to celebrate its 40th anniversary this week, the next chapter in its saga will be very much front and center, thanks to a bountiful new shoot from the set of Episode VIII, The Last Jedi, by Annie Leibovitz for Vanity Fair. The relationship between Vanity Fair and Star Wars stretches back long ago and far, far away to when Leibovitz captured the cast of The Phantom Menace for the series’s return in 1999. The magazine has gone on to document each of the subsequent Star Wars episodes, including 2015’s blockbuster The Force Awakens.

Today, Vanity Fair debuts the cast of its follow-up, The Last Jedi, on four different covers, marking the first time we’ve released alternate Star Wars covers. Leibovitz’s full portfolio will be online Wednesday, along with our story on the making of the new film, written by David Kamp. The Summer issue of Vanity Fair will be on newsstands in New York and Los Angeles on May 31, and nationally on June 6. Readers in search of the full Vanity Fair-Star Wars experience, including all four covers, a commemorative poster, and early access, on May 24, to our digital editions, with lightsaber effects by Industrial Light & Magic, can purchase here.

The first cover features at least one Jedi—who may or may not be the last. Leibovitz captured Daisy Ridley and Mark Hamill on the blustery cliff on the planet Ahch-To (on location in Ireland) where Luke Skywalker was last seen with Ridley’s Rey. Ridley stares down the camera and into the future of the galaxy.

The three First Order heavies—Captain Phasma (Gwendoline Christie), General Hux (Domhnall Gleeson), and Kylo Ren (Adam Driver)—on display here are looking a little worse for wear following the events of The Force Awakens. The new portrait offers fans a first look at Christie in character with her helmet off. Driver tells Kamp in our cover story that Kylo Ren’s wounds go much deeper than the fearsome new scar on his face. If history is any indication, the second installment of the trilogy will be the dark side’s time to shine.

Fan favorite intergalactic flyboy pin-up, Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac), is on the third cover, with friends Finn (John Boyega) and the droid BB-8 (as himself). Boyega, healthy and ready for action, is looking much better here than in his comatose state at the conclusion of The Force Awakens. There are some hints about his Last Jedi escapades in our cover story. He’s joined both on those adventures and in this portrait by Rose Tico (Kelly Marie Tran)—a Resistance maintenance worker and the new character with the most screen time in Episode VIII.

No reflection on the franchise’s four decades would be complete without a tribute to Carrie Fisher, who died in December 2016. This final cover features only her character, Leia—the general, princess, and rebel who has been a figure central to the Star Wars universe from the very outset.

Kamp’s story is filled with reflections from the cast and director Rian Johnson on the singular energy and warm enthusiasm Fisher brought to her Last Jedi role. And Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy reflects on the expanded role Leia was meant to play in the trilogy’s final installment.

Check back Wednesday for more from our exclusive The Last Jedi reveal.

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 23, 2017, 12:08 PM »
Who told Phasma she could remove her helmet?
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 23, 2017, 01:35 PM »
What the heck is she holding?  It looks like a javelin from Game of Thrones.  Maybe she got her photo shoots mixed up.