Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)  (Read 163899 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)
« Reply #240 on: December 15, 2017, 05:55 PM »
What was with the last scene with the kids and the "you can join the Rebellion too" vibe? I'm not sure the point of the children on Canto Bight. I guess Disney needed to show that kids can help the Rebellion too.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 15, 2017, 05:58 PM »
What was with the last scene with the kids and the "you can join the Rebellion too" vibe? I'm not sure the point of the children on Canto Bight. I guess Disney needed to show that kids can help the Rebellion too.

I wasn't 100% sure, but didn't that kid use the force to pick up the broom?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 15, 2017, 06:34 PM »
I believe he used the force to get the broom. I took that as the point.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 15, 2017, 07:46 PM »
Wasn't there a Captain Phasma with removable helmet announced for a future figure wave? Or was that just a custom figure?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #244 on: December 15, 2017, 09:43 PM »

I wasn't 100% sure, but didn't that kid use the force to pick up the broom?

I caught that on my second viewing today.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 15, 2017, 10:07 PM »
I don’t believe Ren about Rey’s lineage.
I don't either. Ive always assumed she won in TFA because he knows who she really is and wouldn't Slaughter her similar to Vader fighting Luke on bespin. If his statements about her parents are true from this movie verbatim then they got a pretty dumb plot hole going on.

I took it like this - it's all about point of view. If Ben Solo were to see his Great-grandmother Shmi Skywalker in a vision w/o the context of her being his Great-grandmother, how would he describe her to someone if he wanted to be cruel? Probably as a "worthless slave" (or similar).

I think that is exactly what Ben was doing there, trying to bring out her anger at the insinuation that her parents were scum.

What if, just like Anakin was born of Shmi via the force, Rey was born of her mother via the force? It's also entirely possible with how strongly the Dark Side calls to Rey that perhaps, just like it was strongly hinted at that Darth Plagueis manipulated the midichlorians to create life, what if Darth Sidious had learned how to do the same?

At that point, where Rey came from is just as unimportant as where Anakin came from - and a name is just a name, the cycle continues and the force seeks to create a balance.

The more and more I think about The Last Jedi, I feel that more and more people are going to come around over time to the opinion that it is one of the best Star Wars movies ever made and unlike the PT which had at times a very cookie-cutter approach to the plot, this was the movie that allowed for movies about Star Wars to be de-focused on the Skywalker lineage. You can't keep going back to the Anakin/Darth Vader/Luke well - you just can't - this movie took the hand it was dealt from The Force Awakens and essentially smashed the well.

So yeah, the Force Vision from Maz's castle is probably going to be a HUGE misdirect. It's entirely possible that what she saw was a vision born of traces of force energy left behind by those who were in possession of the saber.

And at the end of the day, I applaud Rian Johnson for breaking the saber during the climax of the Rey/Ben duel. The saber itself merely has the distinction of being Anakin's at the end of the Clone Wars and the saber he was wielding when Obi-Wan defeated him on Mustafar. When Obi-Wan gave it to Luke he romanticized it's origin and why he was giving it to Luke because you don't tell someone's son "hey um yeah, so the last time I saw your father without all of the mechanical stuff keeping his burnt husk of a body alive, was when we fought over your mother on a lava planet and after I cut off his legs and remaining flesh-and-blood arm, I took this from him" - doesn't exactly have the same ring as "your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your Uncle wouldn't allow it".

So while not as "in your face" as the ANH/ESB twist was, the TFA/TLJ twist was more refined:

ANH - Darth Vader killed your father
ESB - Darth Vader is your father

TFA - Kylo Ren betrayed his master Luke Skywalker and destroyed the new Jedi Academy
TLJ - Ben Solo destroyed the Jedi Academy because Luke Skywalker failed in controlling (and eliminating) the darkness growing within Ben

I am genuinely excited to see this movie at least four or five more times before the end of the year...
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #246 on: December 15, 2017, 10:16 PM »
I LOVED this movie. I have a few gripes. I'll come back to them and coherent thoughts once brain re-solidifies.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 15, 2017, 10:24 PM »
Ackbar's death deserved more hoopla.

I already miss that lobster
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #248 on: December 15, 2017, 10:25 PM »
Isn't the whole point of the cave reveal that  She asked to see her parents  and she is shown herself...which could mean on a base level that she took care of herself and doesn't need her parents but I took it as a deeper meaning in that she has no parents and was of the force and the true Chosen One in a way Anakin never could have been...the force willed an Evil one now it willing a Good and Chosen one to restore Peace/Light/Love etc what all of this death and destruction brought on by one poor decision by one misguided Boy who had mommy issues and a forbidden wife
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:25 PM by Scott »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 15, 2017, 10:33 PM »
I think you're onto something Pete. I have now had over 24 hours to digest and am feeling much more positive about the movie.

I think it was a shock to the system at first.

Though I will fight to the death that Canto Bight was just bad.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #250 on: December 15, 2017, 10:55 PM »
Ok, let's do this.

Again, I loved this movie. This is without a doubt the best SW movie since ESB. Not the best movie - though moments of it are without peer. Rian Johnson deserves a bow, and all the credit in the world for taking huge risks.

A lot of folks complained about the re-hashing in TFA. I was one of them. One of the benefits of it was to set up expectations that this film absolutely knocked down. The greatest example - and perhaps in all of SW - is the death of Snoke and Kylo's leaning in to the dark side. An outstanding sequence, staged and shot perfectly, that induces absolute whiplash. But it's the only way it can be. Kylo can't be turned; Luke says it. He's evil. He wrestles with his emotions, and his impulses, but he is who he is. He wants Rey - he may have some love for her, on some level - but only as an object. Like Vader's helmet was an object. Luke's saber.

On that note, I accept the Rey's parents reveal, but hold out there could be a late inning substitution. I expected her to see Leia's reflection in the mirror, and when she saw herself, I had the same thought Scott did - she may be like Anakin. Probably not, but we'll see. I felt she got a little lost post-HOLY **** THRONE ROOM DUEL and I wonder what she learned in this movie. Her parents were nobodies and never coming back? She already knew that. She's self made and self reliant? She already knew that, and a scavenger par excellence - she made off with the Jedi texts Luke thought Yoda had burned.

YODA! One of the greatest scenes in the saga. So much truth and wisdom. Yoda is a puppet in this scene.

Leia. I loved all of it, including the Glenda the Good Witch bit. The tragedy of not having Leia for IX, of seeing her grow into the Force... her absence leaves this trilogy broken. It can't be fixed.

Mark Hamill deserves an Oscar. Performance of his life. 'That's a cheap shot.'

Adam Driver is perfect. "SHOOT THAT SHIP OUT OF THE SKY!" The petulant, childish rage... perfect.

Holdo's sacrifice and the stunning visual of the destruction of the FO fleet - gasps in the theater.

Didn't like so much -

Luke didn't NEED to die. I accept it. But if they could stop killing my heroes at the end of every movie, that'd be great. He'll be back, and probably for more than we think, but the death steps on the toes of the all time fake out of the projection from the island.

Canto Bight - liked bits and pieces. Went on way too long.

Maz.

I don't know if I was sold on Rose knocking Finn out of his death run.

That's all for now.

LOVED it.

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 16, 2017, 04:24 AM »
 ;D ;DLoved the film ;D ;D

Already been said many things about likes and dislikes, So i will not address most of those-that being said ESB was my prior favorite to this film.

The Canto situation I feel was necessary-I feel they had to "go somewhere" to make the time up for the situation of their mother ship losing fuel. The "codemaster" character was actually my second favorite in the film, Rose my #1. Rose's sister I felt was awesome as well even for her short time.

I had a theory going for this film prior to its release and I feel it's still in play....Albeit tweaking after viewing this film.

My theory is that Ren will be turned good while Rey*gasp* will be turned dark. Been thinking this for probably since I have been watching trailers for the film and studying the last film.

Disney have been doing 2 things...making you "unlearn what you have learned" (about the force and its components) while at the same time  they are paralleling allot with the new characters VS the old. They are setting us UP! The surprise finish is coming.

After watching this movie, I feel Luke will have a huge role as an antagonist ghost doing everything he can to bring KR to the light(remember his promise in the suedo battle on Krayt? it was paralleling SANS obi wan to Vader in EP4) instead of supporting ghost it will be a ghost influencing for turn....He will take his priority and eye  from Rey while he works on Ren....there will be  a big battle between the two(duel of the fates2??)Where it will be then exposed that Rey is already Dark...seduced by Snoke's ghost(yes, Disney doing something diff and giving a Sith ghost)...suddenly Ben will turn to the light to restore balance.

So crazy/not drinking/ but cannot get the idea outta my head!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:35 AM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 16, 2017, 04:33 AM »
This film made me rethink events that happened in EP4. When Luke and Yoda die, they "disappear" into the force and just their clothes left around.

The other Jedi in films just die regular. I remember Yoda telling Obi Wan about Qui Gonn's path to "enlightenment"(EP2 or 3)...is this Enlightenment the ghost apparition/second life IN the force?

This all makes me rethink the way Obi wan died VS Vader. I never felt this way before but....its like he achieved peace and actually died a split second before Vaders blade connected?!

Disney didnt surprise me with Luke's death. I knew it was coming after his KR battle soon. When i saw him looking into the sun I knew...but of course there were alot of gasps of shocked folk.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:35 AM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2017, 09:55 AM »
Was that the Jedi sacred books in the drawer of the Falcon?  Rey took them before she left?

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #254 on: December 16, 2017, 10:03 AM »
Was that the Jedi sacred books in the drawer of the Falcon?  Rey took them before she left?

Yup.   :)