Author Topic: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)  (Read 165380 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)
« Reply #300 on: December 21, 2017, 06:05 PM »
This is interesting:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/so-apparently-snoke-may-have-trained-at-least-one-oth-1821509978

Who could Snoke's apprentice have been? I do think for Snoke to have had so much interest in the idea of an heir to Vader, he had to have known him (or of him). Which triggers a bunch of questions about Snoke, his relationship to the Sith and especially Palpatine.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 21, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Anybody know Mark Hamill's interest in continuing as Luke in the ST?  I know Harrison Ford wasn't really interested and more or less asked to get killed off.  Just curious if Hamill felt the same way or if that was just the way the story went.

I'm hoping that he's going to come back as a Force spirit.  Especially in light of how Luke become one with the Force. 

I think Mark is a tremendous ambassador for the franchise.  I've only met him once, and that was at SDCC back in 2009.  He had NOTHING going on with Star Wars at that time aside from doing signings.  And he was AWESOME.  So incredibly friendly and gracious.  He actually asked ME if we could take a picture.  I had just been prepared to have him sign an autograph and to have a quick interaction.  But he was very conscious of making it a positive experience for me.

And putting it all in context?  When I met Mark, he wasn't doing any on camera work at the time.  But he was definitely a heavy hitter on the voice over scene.  Signing at SDCC was probably a nice payday, but might not measure up to what he was making as the voice over actor for the Joker.

Obviously, bringing Luke back as a Force spirit has to work from a story standpoint.  But I think Rey is probably going to need some guidance, and Luke is the only Jedi master that she's ever known.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 22, 2017, 09:21 AM »
I think Luke will be back in astral form, but I think it will be with Kylo more than Rey.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #303 on: December 22, 2017, 10:32 AM »
I think Luke will be back in astral form, but I think it will be with Kylo more than Rey.

Luke Skywalker: Force ghost version of an internet troll.  ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #304 on: December 22, 2017, 10:38 AM »
But I think Rey is probably going to need some guidance, and Luke is the only Jedi master that she's ever known.

One of the things I wasn't sure about after seeing the film the first time was how limited their actual relationship was, but then I thought about it, and its roughly the same as Luke and Yoda's in ESB. Both end in what we'd consider failure. There's less actual training between them, and what's ironic is Luke is the antagonist in both. He's skeptical of Yoda and Rey.

I hope Luke comes back for more than a scene in IX, and helps Rey through what has to be a very rocky path.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 22, 2017, 12:32 PM »
Just a thought,
Compare the backstory/details we knew about Emperor Palpatine at the end of ROTJ with the backstory/details about Snoke at the end of TLJ. ...
Yep.
Macklunkey!

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 22, 2017, 12:53 PM »
Just a thought,
Compare the backstory/details we knew about Emperor Palpatine at the end of ROTJ with the backstory/details about Snoke at the end of TLJ. ...
Yep.

I keep hearing this. And whereas I'm not melting down we don't know more about Snoke, it's also 2017, not 1983.

Different crazed fan base to leave hanging.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 23, 2017, 12:08 PM »
It's interesting to see the so-called "backlash" stories surfacing now.  And the responses have generally been a little polarized.

Newsweek ran with this one yesterday:  Is Mark Hamill Happy with ‘The Last Jedi’? Actor Disagrees with Luke Skywalker Interpretation.  Frankly?  This was an effort on their part to drive clicks to Newsweek.com after the release of the movie.  Mark Hamill made it know some time ago that he had different ideas about how Luke's character would evolve.  But he got onboard with Rian Johnson's vision for the film.

And then there's this EW piece:  Rian Johnson addresses The Last Jedi backlash, says necessary for Star Wars to 'grow'.  This piece seems a bit more on point.  The movie was absolutely going to stir conversation.  And it wasn't these nonsense arguments about this being a rehash of a previous Star Wars film.  I think Johnson summed up what a lot of people might be thinking very well with this tweet:

“The goal is never to divide or make people upset, but I do think the conversations that are happening were going to have to happen at some point if sw is going to grow, move forward, and stay vital.”

As for Snoke?  I think he's interesting source material for the EU.  Explore it there.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 12:09 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 23, 2017, 02:20 PM »

With the "Sith Ghost" artwork and story in the Art of TLJ book, I wonder if IX is when we'll finally get the return of Hayden Christensen
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 23, 2017, 03:16 PM »
Just a thought,
Yep.

I keep hearing this. And whereas I'm not melting down we don't know more about Snoke, it's also 2017, not 1983.

Different crazed fan base to leave hanging.

I just realized I didn't use the word amount in my original post.
 the amount of backstory  on the two characters should be compared. when you do that you'll realize... wow there wasn't really much backstory on either of these two dudes by the time they were killed off.
Macklunkey!

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 26, 2017, 05:53 PM »
Saw this for a second time and I liked this a lot better now.  It's pretty coherent and cohesive, I just missed some things the first viewing.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 26, 2017, 10:32 PM »
I'll never forgive the film for Admiral Ackbar dying early and Grape Kool Aid Hair lady getting what could've been his heroic death. 

NEVER.

Rian Johnson will find a fish head on his bed.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #312 on: December 27, 2017, 01:58 AM »
Good point on Ackbar and Grape Lady...  She felt like kind of a waste to me too, and Ackbar's been at this **** since The Clone Wars.  I would've liked to have seen him go out a hero now that you mention that.  Hmmm.

Anyway, I saw the film again this past weekend...  I noticed some things I hadn't before.   It also reinforced my thoughts on some of the things I see people arguing about. 

One of the biggest fights I see is Leia's force powers, and everyone thinking she flew...  The boys and I talked about that whole thing and one of them thought she was flying too, but I pointed out the notion of simply lifting rocks, and how pulling herself to the ship is more or less the same thing as pushing something just in reverse, so why is that so tough to fathom?  It blew their minds to rethink it in a simpler matter...  I was made fun of for being a turbo nerd for about 15 minutes at dinner, but they agreed.

Overall all 4 people I took, who are passing fans at best, enjoyed the film...  even my gf liked it though and she's pretty critical.  She likes Rey a lot, and Leia.  The boys like Rey too though and that was nice to see them not hating a female character just because she's a female character.  I'm glad to know they are not that abnormal despite me warping them growing up. :)

There was a lot of discussion after this film...  We didn't talk a lot after TFA I recall, and we weren't able to see Rogue One together.  They really enjoyed this film though.  They find the arguments on social media comical (that's where a lot of it appears to be taking place).  I explained to them some of the sites with anti-Disney sentiments and they just laughed and used the term "neckbeard" which I'm still having trouble getting, but admittedly I am old.

The boys didn't like Canto Bight much, and we all agreed it was the best point to go pee if you needed to as it was sort of a midway and dull portion.  It had a few moments, but it lacked a lot of substance, and could've just as easily been time filled with established characters and perhaps even Rose herself being used as the "hacker" or whatever DJ was.  DJ was weird, not bad, just weird, and felt like he wasn't used well...  Did he live?  Did he get away?  Will he come back?  I kinda hope so because I like the actor, but at the same time I feel like he's worthless too the way they used him.  I dunno what to make there, and neither did they... 

The only other gripe we all seemed to have was some of the humor was forced and went from funny to annoying.  The boys mentioned Luke brushing his shoulder as kinda out of place too (I liked it).

They started to question Luke saying see you around kid, but I told them about Han, and Luke, and how that fit so absolutely perfectly for what it was, and who it was said to, that it was almost one of those oddly emotional moments to older fans.  I saw some supposedly rabid fans who were claiming that was dumb but seemingly forgetting it's been around before...  I can't believe guys flipping out about TLJ citing that line as "dumb" and too modern and stuff, totally forget Han said it.  Just funny I guess.

If the kids on Canto Bight are something in 9, I accept that sequence a lot more.

I'd have liked to have seen/heard something of Max Von Sydow's character too...  His relationship with Luke and stuff, how he had the map piece...  People seem to have forgotten all that and now I kinda wish it came up.  Not a huge bummer but it's one of those things I'd like to know more.

The hate on Snoke's end is perplexing to me the more I see that bitch getting made...  I agree with StBrianOM on that, personally.  I mean Snoke's backstory is bound to be fleshed out more at some point.  I'm ok with that.

I do think Hux got jerked around a little too much by force users, but I can see the point being made that he's just a dude, and he's at these people's mercy, and I think he's maybe getting the hint that he doesn't have Snoke to protect him from Ren now...  His attempt to draw his pistol was pretty cool though and reinforced who his character really is too.  He'll still be plotting if he can.

That's about it.  I like TLJ a lot.  I like it more than TFA and I liked TFA.  ANH, ESB, and R1 are my top 3, but then there's a solid faceoff between ROTJ, TFA, and TLJ, with ROTS on their heels...  then AOTC and TPM bringing up the rear.  Hell even the Clone Wars movie goes up above those two for me.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #313 on: December 27, 2017, 11:34 AM »
I like your ideas about Ackbar getting the death on the Raddus, but then the mutiny would have made no narrative sense.

I don't think I could swallow Poe starting a mutiny against Ackbar.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 27, 2017, 12:35 PM »
I still don't know why they felt like they needed to kill Ackbar instead of him just not being there (e.g. already escaped and went someplace else).  His involvement in the ST was minor and his death wasn't really emotionally impactful.  I'm not sure if its part of the whole plan to refresh Star Wars and eliminate any OT characters still left.